I'm fishing a commercial tomorrow ewwww

Silver fan 82

That’s the difference between match fishing and proper fishing.

Proper fishing is about the hunt, the fight, the colours and shape of the fish, how it took the bait, all sorts of magic.

Match fishing is about the match... the end result.
And as far as end results go, yep Jamie Hughes has absolutely mastered it.

I think that’s why they stock bream and f1 so heavily, they are easy to keep, easy to feed, and easy to catch... it’s not about the fish - it’s about it’s contribution to the net.
I have to disagree with you. Am I right in saying that this is the only time you have fished a commercial? Some venues are harder than others, they aren't all the same.
Why not try another venue or two? Or just accept that it's not your thing and go and challenge yourself somewhere else?

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
There's a readers letter response in the Angling Times to an old comment Matt Hayes made about 'real fishing'.

Makes me laugh that the commercial I fish has Matt Hayes name plastered all over the front. :LOL: :LOL: :p

Circular argument really though and one thing I always try to remember is that not everyone has the same angling preferences or ability. I know a lot of the fishing I do whether on river or commercial is quite noddy like but I enjoy it is the thing that matters.

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
It’s not with some kind of malice intent to get a reaction, like you seem to think.

I can’t describe any better than it’s just - having a laugh.
Discussing some fishing related stuff and having a bit of banter about it.

I’m genuinely displeased that it’s pissed you off, but... what can I say, lighten up?
You seem to have ruffled a lot of feathers, so it’s just not be being over sensitive, I can handle banter and give and take it, but I don’t think this post was banter, or at least it didn’t come across that way to me 🤷‍♂️

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Yeah we get it Silverfisher but on every aspect of fishing that doesn't grab you there is a need from you to say it over and over and over again.

Ffs you tell us how many Bleak you catch but nobody takes the p**s out of you for it.
Give it a rest and if it's not your thing then leave it to the others who do enjoy it.

I’ve never taken the p*ss out of anyone. As long as there’s threads on the subject I personally don’t see any harm in discussion as long as people aren’t directly rude to each other or just making stuff up. I never thought there’d be a PC bridgade in fishing but seems there is.

On the bleak my reports are warts and all got to include the sodding bleak however unwelcome they are! Trust me I take no pleasure in catching them, risky saying that I guess there might be a hidden fraternity of bleak fans 😂

And we have a photo of every identical roach in his hand, but we don’t make negative comments

I am awful for that 😂 I try to find the best looking couple to take a picture of then just keep changing my mind and end up with loads. I am into the aesthetics of fishing to nerdy extent. I think some on here enjoy the photos though.

What I would like to see is DKZ, yourself and 10 others who think commercial carp fishing is a walk in the park have a knock up and show off your skills. 👍😉😀

Once again I’ve always said it’s only easy on “some commercials” not “all commercials”. I’ve only fished a couple or so that fall into the super easy category and have fished at least twice as many that aren’t like that which I’ve quite enjoyed and others than have fallen into other categories.

The only thing that annoys me on these discussions is when people make stuff up in retaliation to stuff that in most cases wasn’t intended to offend in the first place.

@Zerkalo your fishing is far from noddy like you are clearly a very varied and successful angler.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Never said you did take the p**s but you are p*****g a few off by keep banging on what you don't like and where we are all going wrong.

Fair enough I’ll take the banging on point if expressing opinions offends people but I’ve never told anyone where they are going wrong knowingly, if I don’t like something it doesn’t mean I think someone else is wrong for liking it. If I put things like the OP has I could understand as that is pushing it but I like to think I’m bit more tactful than that lol

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
@Zerkalo your fishing is far from noddy like you are clearly a very varied and successful angler.

Continual improvement is the name of my game but thanks even though I think if people saw me fish they might have a different idea. I might have to try some new pegs from now as I do have my favourites. :LOL:

Silver fan 82

Continual improvement is the name of my game but thanks even though I think if people saw me fish they might have a different idea. I might have to try some new pegs from now as I do have my favourites. :LOL:
I think we all have our favourite venues / pegs mate but as they say variety is the spice of life.

Yuccaman

I like fishing.
Staff member
Site Supporter
Just poking the bear (because, well why not :devilish: ), how many having a pop at DKZ have made not dissimilar comments about carp anglers who all sleep in their bivvies after a booze and weed-fest whilst having 4 rods cast into every corner of the lake with a 4oz lead on, each with a buzzer on full volume?

<please note tongue placed in cheek>

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I think we all have our favourite venues / pegs mate but as they say variety is the spice of life.

Made a thread about this a long time ago called ‘Always fishing the same peg’. Most people agreed with you from what I can remember but it’s a difficult habit to shake. I remember club matches back in the day I had to be a bit more prepared than nowadays but was usually quite lucky with the draw.

mickthechippy

space cadet
Site Supporter
Just poking the bear (because, well why not :devilish: ), how many having a pop at DKZ have made not dissimilar comments about carp anglers who all sleep in their bivvies after a booze and weed-fest whilst having 4 rods cast into every corner of the lake with a 4oz lead on, each with a buzzer on full volume?

guy on Novayo Zemla poked a bear this week,

Silverfisher

Site Supporter

Doesn’t matter how you look doing it mate if you enjoy it and you certainly get the results more often than not. Nothing wrong with favourite pegs either. I like to fish around new venues initially to find where’s good then tend to stick to a few favourites as (outside of furlough) fishing time is precious so it’s good for me to fish pegs that I can be fairly confident will produce most of the time then try others once in a while to try expand my repertoire. That said given I had more time to play with this year every peg I’ve fished have been ones I’d never fished before this year. From spending anything from a couple to a handful of sessions on each one I’ve now worked out which ones are seemingly good and which ones seemingly aren’t good so have a new set of reliable set of pegs to add to my previous selection of reliables 👍🏻

JLK

Just for the record. I haven't ever knocked bivvy carp anglers.
Another point to note which won't go down too well it's that it's probably worth mentioning that the fishing gets easier the further south you go.
That's why Northern anglers are so much better than our southern counter parts. If you cut your teeth fishing Northern venue's and can catch 10lb of silvers on the northern rivers then 40/50lb plus would be a steady day for a northern angler on say the Thames at Oxford. 👍😉😀

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Just for the record. I haven't ever knocked bivvy carp anglers.
Another point to note which won't go down too well it's that it's probably worth mentioning that the fishing gets easier the further south you go.
That's why Northern anglers are so much better than our southern counter parts. If you cut your teeth fishing Northern venue's and can catch 10lb of silvers on the northern rivers then 40/50lb plus would be a steady day for a northern angler on say the Thames at Oxford. 👍😉😀
You been drinking pal ? 😂😂

DontKillZander

Site Supporter

I have, syndicates do my head in, my dad is one of them I grew up around it.

And fly anglers... treating trout and salmon like they're gods gift to the fly, no other methods allowed.

And sea anglers, with their brutal treatment of fish, ripping the hooks out and slinging them back in over the shoulder (if they're lucky).

And match angl... oh wait :LOL:

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Hopefully it came across as friendly banter 👍😀

Indeed it did 👍 But if you could pop down south and show me how to turn my on a good day 14-15lb oxford roach bags into 40-50lb I’d be eternally grateful! In fact that’s a bit many 25lb will do 😀

So dkz what is proper fishing in your eyes? Your comment there about sea anglers ripping hooks out and throwing them back in over the shoulder is the most ludicrous statement I've seen, you really do come across a right dickhead

He hasn’t left much to be proper has he! I think that was probably another misjudged attempt at humour Tbf

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
I think there's deeper, mysterious forces at work.
Like - the universe knows what you do and do not want, and tests with you with the latter, over and over and over again until it decides you've earned the former...

I sat under my umbrella in torrential downpours - ungratefully dreading the thought of having to drag another lifeless dishcloth onto the bank, stinking up my unhooking mat with its obnoxious amount of slime, as it finally begins to annoyingly flap around at the one and only moment I actually want the little snotbag to keep still :LOL: :LOL:

God I hate bream, I'd rather sit catching eels.
You fished 2 waters that are mainly pole waters, so maybe that is why you lost a float casting to far side. As for using prawns on them ,you would have struggled same as you will on Holbar if you fish them on there.
If you want to catch big perch on prawns go to either Lloyd's Meadow at Frodsham or Hampton Springs at Malpas.
Out of curiosity, how many commercials have you fished, ?
Why knock anybody who fishes the pole for F1's or other fish in commercials, ?
I dont think I have seen posts on here knocking your style of fishing,

Silver fan 82

I have, syndicates do my head in, my dad is one of them I grew up around it.

And fly anglers... treating trout and salmon like they're gods gift to the fly, no other methods allowed.

And sea anglers, with their brutal treatment of fish, ripping the hooks out and slinging them back in over the shoulder (if they're lucky).

And match angl... oh wait :LOL:
Do you like any type of fishing? 😉