I'm back ....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
....hope you didn't miss me too much [:D]

We've just been on a four day trip to take the father-in-law's ashes over to Limerick which was his request and now I'm knackered lol

Monday saw an early start and a trip over to Hollyhead to catch the 2:00pm ferry to Dublin. Travel wise it was pretty much congestion free so made some good time and managed to stop in Conwy for a late breakfast - sorted [:T]

The ferry was on time, the crossing was good, and we'd pre-booked a room in the Drury Court Hotel just off the Temple Bar area in Dublin.
Arriving in Dublin though at rush hour was manic, I've never seen traffic like it, far worse than driving in London at peak times, if it wasn't a cyclist it was a taxi that was cutting you up lol
Anyway we made it to the hotel and only lost one of the three cars lol

Dublin [:0] - the last time I went into Dublin, about two and a half years ago, it was about 3euros for a pint, now most places were around the 6euro price and one Gin and Tonic cost a staggering 7.50euros [:0]
It used to be the place for stag and hen parties but I can't see that happening now as one round for six of us came to a mind blowing 38euros [:C]

We only had the one night there, the hotel I could thoroughly recomend but the beer prices left a lot to be considered, I don't know if I'd recover from the shock lol

Onto Limerick for the second stop, and headed to the Jury's Inn hotel on the banks of the Shannon, I even managed to wangle a river view [:)]
Limerick was a slower pace and even though the beer prices weren't a lot cheaper somehow you didn't feel like you were being ripped off lol

We met up with some family there and had a wander around seeing some of the old sights and sites [8)]

That afternoon, four of us jumped into the pickup and set off into Kings Island looking for the Island Bank which was a local meeting point for the father in law and his mates when they were lads. Somehow I think he'd have been a tad disapointed with it now as it was a sh1thole, I've never seen so much rubbish.
We drove into what we later found out to be the worst estate in Limerick, if not that part of Ireland, it was nothing short of a traveller's site with houses - Roskins I believe they're called.
There was rubbish, abandoned cars, old horses, young ponies, you name it it was there and driving around in a big black Hilux with blacked out rear windows soon got us some unfavourable looks [:H].

I pulled up alongside one house where some bloke was in the 'garden' and called over to him - he said something to two women who were with him who went inside the house and came over to us demanding to know who was in the back of the truck. Once I told him it was the wimmin he relaxed a little and then I told him what I was there for and needed some help in locating the exact spot and he was fine and helpful - however we were told later that we were lucky we weren't shot first then asked second lol

A drive around afterwards and I was glad in a way the truck did look like a Taliban wagon because it certainly kept the locals at bay lol

We found the perfect spot slightly away from the estate but alongside a boat club and that was were we returned the following day to do the deed.

Out for a meal and found a cracking restaurant with steak to die for - awesome sirloin [:T]

Wednesday night was once again spent in the town and then packed up and ready to leave we said our goodbyes and set off from Limerick on the Thursday morning.
The drive wasn't too bad, even hitting Dublin outside of the rush hour wasn't too bad, and the ferry again was on time and a pleasant crossing [^]

The trip from Hollyhead back to Leeds took less than three hours but all in all it was a long day and a round trip of just over 600 miles not including the ferry crossings
I'm knackered now and with a full day's work ahead of me <shame>

Over the course of this weekend I'll sort out the rest of the Lindholme stuff and update the site supporter statuses
And I'm sure I've got my name down for a match this weekend but cannot for the lfe of me remember when and where so if someone does know can they remind me lol

[:W]

Godber

Priapism! ladies?
Site Supporter
We took my lovely old Mum in law back to Arklow in Ireland to lay her to rest in the family grave. From the chapel of rest to the church was about a mile walk. The hearse was in front and we all walked behind through the high street and the respect we were shown was unbelievable. Lorry drivers pulling over and shutting down their trucks, pedestrians bowing heads and crossing themselves, kids in the school playground stopping what the games they were playing and lining up along the railings, it was really quite touching. The craic in the pub afterwards was a blast, they really did celerbrate Mums life. God bless her.[;)]

stevieboy1962

They like how to show respect over there, one day we found the Lifebelt bar in Lanesborough locked up, PANIC ! The landlord stuck his head out of an upstairs window and explained a funeral was due to pass, as soon as it had passed, the pub was open for business.

Jmz

Aye when we went to Dublin for the gfs birthday in January it was really expensive. 7.50 for a glass of rose wine (not for me!) in temple bar and 14 euro for an Irish breakfast (nice though!).

nobby478

miserable old ....
Welcome Back. Dave. I hope your wife is OK.

So, you've been eating Irish beef, huh?

Better get down the Gym and put all that clenbuterol to good use then.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/why-the-mafia-is-into-your-beef-1342852.html

http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1G1-11175862.html

http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1G1-11175862.html

[:)]

Simon R

Site Supporter
I'm glad they don't charge those sort of prices out in the sticks where we go - I'd have to turn teetotal for the week[:p]

I think it was about fifteen euros last year for four pints (two Guiness, two lagers) - that worked out at a few pence over three quid a pint which isn't too bad. Exchange rate has slid since then though so it's gonna cost even more this year.[:(]

On about showing respect - there's always live music on in one of the pubs we frequent in Cootehill on a Saturday night. Last tune will always be the national anthem and EVERYBODY stands in silence. I can't imagine that happening anywhere in this country[:(]

Simon

lurkio

A little dab'll do
Originally posted by Dave

Out for a meal and found a cracking restaurant with steak to die for - awesome sirloin [:T]

If you can't get a decent steak in Ireland you're doing something wrong. We've had some crackers when we've been. T-bones especially when they were banned over here.

Oh and few pints in Oldcastle Co Meath. [:D]

shootinfishin

Better than slappy
Originally posted by Dave

....hope you didn't miss me too much [:D]

We've just been on a four day trip to take the father-in-law's ashes over to Limerick which was his request and now I'm knackered lol

Monday saw an early start and a trip over to Hollyhead to catch the 2:00pm ferry to Dublin. Travel wise it was pretty much congestion free so made some good time and managed to stop in Conwy for a late breakfast - sorted [:T]

The ferry was on time, the crossing was good, and we'd pre-booked a room in the Drury Court Hotel just off the Temple Bar area in Dublin.
Arriving in Dublin though at rush hour was manic, I've never seen traffic like it, far worse than driving in London at peak times, if it wasn't a cyclist it was a taxi that was cutting you up lol
Anyway we made it to the hotel and only lost one of the three cars lol

Dublin [:0] - the last time I went into Dublin, about two and a half years ago, it was about 3euros for a pint, now most places were around the 6euro price and one Gin and Tonic cost a staggering 7.50euros [:0]
It used to be the place for stag and hen parties but I can't see that happening now as one round for six of us came to a mind blowing 38euros [:C]

We only had the one night there, the hotel I could thoroughly recomend but the beer prices left a lot to be considered, I don't know if I'd recover from the shock lol

Onto Limerick for the second stop, and headed to the Jury's Inn hotel on the banks of the Shannon, I even managed to wangle a river view [:)]
Limerick was a slower pace and even though the beer prices weren't a lot cheaper somehow you didn't feel like you were being ripped off lol

We met up with some family there and had a wander around seeing some of the old sights and sites [8)]

That afternoon, four of us jumped into the pickup and set off into Kings Island looking for the Island Bank which was a local meeting point for the father in law and his mates when they were lads. Somehow I think he'd have been a tad disapointed with it now as it was a sh1thole, I've never seen so much rubbish.
We drove into what we later found out to be the worst estate in Limerick, if not that part of Ireland, it was nothing short of a traveller's site with houses - Roskins I believe they're called.
There was rubbish, abandoned cars, old horses, young ponies, you name it it was there and driving around in a big black Hilux with blacked out rear windows soon got us some unfavourable looks [:H].

I pulled up alongside one house where some bloke was in the 'garden' and called over to him - he said something to two women who were with him who went inside the house and came over to us demanding to know who was in the back of the truck. Once I told him it was the wimmin he relaxed a little and then I told him what I was there for and needed some help in locating the exact spot and he was fine and helpful - however we were told later that we were lucky we weren't shot first then asked second lol

A drive around afterwards and I was glad in a way the truck did look like a Taliban wagon because it certainly kept the locals at bay lol

We found the perfect spot slightly away from the estate but alongside a boat club and that was were we returned the following day to do the deed.

Wednesday night was once again spent in the town and then packed up and ready to leave we said our goodbyes and set off from Limerick on the Thursday morning.
The drive wasn't too bad, even hitting Dublin outside of the rush hour wasn't too bad, and the ferry again was on time and a pleasant crossing [^]

The trip from Hollyhead back to Leeds took less than three hours but all in all it was a long day and a round trip of just over 600 miles not including the ferry crossings
I'm knackered now and with a full day's work ahead of me <shame>

Over the course of this weekend I'll sort out the rest of the Lindholme stuff and update the site supporter statuses
And I'm sure I've got my name down for a match this weekend but cannot for the lfe of me remember when and where so if someone does know can they remind me lol

[:W]

You could have saved a load of dosh by posting him to the nearest pub with a fiver and a note to the landlord

arkwright

FlyingCarpetPilot
Site Supporter
I took Pat to dublin about 3 yrs ago and while we were having a jar or two in Blooms in Temple Bar i spotted a cabinet with some rare irish whiskies a few i hadnt tried before include ..i asked the barman how much was the one i fancied first ....... 30 euros a shot .. i nearly fell off the bar stool and i wasnt even drunk [:0][:0][:0] Needless to say i didnt bother [:D]

kevin o connor

M.O.G. member
Staff member
Site Supporter
Looks like you got back just in time Dave. The Gardai (Irish Police)carried out several raids in Limerick over the week end and made several arrests. Seven men are due in court on Monday. You sure you didn't tip them off !!!!!!!!!!![:D][:T]

Status
Not open for further replies.