Illegal Duck Hunter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lid

I just found the following post on my Local Angling club's guest book forum (link is here).

I fished the long walk on Sunday from 8:30 until approx 12:00. I was the only person fishing, but I was disturbed by a dog. This dog and his owner constantly harassed the ducks and the single swan. The dog was clearly trained to catch ducks and actually caught and killed a duck. The owner, whom never got anymore than 100 yrds near me was obviously controlling the dog by a whistle. I found the dead duck dumped near the first swim when I left. I stopped some other locals and explained the situation and they promised to keep there eyes open. The dog was a black cross Labrador. The owner dressed white beige walking coat with field glasses, in my mind this was a well trained dog that was under control and out stalking water fowl. Even Swans....Keep your eyes open.

[:0][:(][:(!]

Here are my two replies, but does any one else have any ideas or comments [?]

1) If you haven't done so already, you should report that dog incident to the police. If the dead duck was dumped, then what was it for?

My best guess is the dog is being trained for another use and ducks and swans are easier to come by in the cold weather.

2) Oh yes. You said the dog was a labrador cross. Did it have greyhound or whippet like features? If so it is probably some sort of lurcher, which are used to hunt rabbits, hares and even deer sometimes. Whatever the case, I am sure what you saw was illegal and not with the permission of the landowner.

Lid - formerley known as Leighton [:)]

Last edited:

Newt

'Lures Rule!!'
When anyone says he has seen a dog specially trained to catch and kill ducks, I have to wonder about him.

Most dogs could catch a duck that was on shore and very far from the water and not able to fly away. Otherwise, nonesense. Dogs just aren't designed to swim that well and if one happened to get close to a swimming duck, the duck would simply fly off. But more likely just swim away.

Labs are great for fetching ducks you've shot since they do love water and tolerate cold water well. But trained to catch and kill them - I think not.

Newt Vail

Lid

Hi Newt

I correspond with the guy who raised the point and I am sure he's genuine. In fact I would have met him yesterday if I hadn't taken up Finklebunt's offer to go piking at Dobb's Weir instead. He does say it only caught one duck and implies this took some time. When I know more I'll post it here. [8D]

I was brought up on a farm with a river running thru it and I would agree that a dog is unlikely to be trained specifically to catch ducks. However some of our more lively gun-dogs were capable of such a feat. I have witnessed one of them catch a pheasant in mid air just after it launched itself from some undergrowth. [:0]

I think in this instance it is more likely the dog was being trained for a different purpose, but the owner decided to use ducks as a training aid on this cold and frosty morning. [:(!]

Lid - formerley known as Leighton [:)]

Last edited:

esox.20

04/11/01 - 12/10/15
In Memoriam
Having witnessed a trained spaniel trying to retrive a wounded duck from a river and I was roflmao as the duck kept diving, with the dogs head under water trying to find it. I do not belive that any dog could catch a duck from water. Unless it was trained in the use of sub - aqua gear.
It seems more likely to me that the dog was being trained to flush birds from cover and was very lucky in 'pegging' a slow bird.
A friend and neighbour has lurchers He regularly comes home with pheasants and pigeon the lurcher has caught, but obviously from the land.

chill out go fishing

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.