Illegal Downloads and Piracy

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
When downloading such files/movies etc. there used to be a hidden file in with the film/music file/program download that 'snagged' the i.p. address of the downloader. Sony was the worst for it for music, with Paramount and Disney being the 2 worst ones for films. One they had your i.p. address, they knew which company provided you with broadband. They used to send your broadband provider a letter stating they either gave the company your details or the broadband provider would be taken to court for allowing you to download pirated movies/music. That's how individuals were getting fined.
I don't know if this still happens.
Very few court cases were ever brought about against the "end user". When I worked for NTL the firms action was to inform the customer that their broadband was being "throttled".

The major distribution companies went after those who supplied the pirate services, they still do today. So many films are now available on legal streaming services how can a company differentiate between legal and illegal service to an "end user".

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
Very few court cases were ever brought about against the "end user". When I worked for NTL the firms action was to inform the customer that their broadband was being "throttled".

The major distribution companies went after those who supplied the pirate services, they still do today. So many films are now available on legal streaming services how can a company differentiate between legal and illegal service to an "end user".

That's what I can't get my head round Geoff. So many legal ways, and yet still still pirate cd's/dvd's about. Even a chap on our local market will do you the latest films at £3 a go.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
You can get firewall like software that stops downloads doing what they call 'ringing home' as described above, where a hidden file sends information back to the owner. What the third party that sent me a letter does is sit on a torrent and watch for the IP addresses in the torrent cloud then traces you through that, so a lot of torrent sites now advise that you use a VPN. It amazes me the amount of films on torrents and streaming sites, talking about ones readily available on DVD or elsewhere and not rare unreleased ones.

Markywhizz

Clueless member
Site Supporter
I can’t see how anyone can justify illegally downloading movies when there are so many services offering them legally for a relatively low cost.

I have occasionally downloaded software but only in two specific circumstances.

Firstly in order to give it a trial run before I buy it. This applies to most of my software synths for example. I have gone on to either buy them or uninstall them. Many did not live up to their promises so I was glad I hadn’t paid for them and deleted them.

The second circumstance which falls outside this is where I used really expensive software in my job which I owned. Since I retired I really wanted to continue using this software for personal non profit purposes. There is no way I can afford to buy it so I am not really denying the publisher a sale. My electronic design software falls in this category.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Software synths are what prompted me to make this thread @Markywhizz Like you say many are useless but on the other hand there are so many great AU plugins out there it's going to be costly to get everything I want.

Markywhizz

Clueless member
Site Supporter
If I were you I’d try them out and buy the good ones you can afford and wait to get the ones you can’t. Tempting though I know. I found myself just collecting them all and not really making full use of the ones I had :ROFLMAO:

PAB

Site Supporter
I used to tape the top 20 off the radio onto a tape. Now I just stream everything I want including any sports or movies it is just a matter of knowing where to look the only thing I download now is e-books and most of them are legal paid for downloads not all though.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
E-books is another one. You can find pretty much anything if you know where to look. Similar to software though, if I don't buy it I'm less likely to read/use it fully.

ukzero1

Site Supporter
From my old 'torrent' days, I have approx 2 terabyte of software, music (full albums), films, and programs. all stored on 2 external hard drives. None of which are up for grabs.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
That's how full I expect my new hard drive to be when I'm sorted. I'm spending the day sorting out old drum sample libraries. I have about 40gb of Drum Samples alone that need sorting into the right folders. It will take me longer than a day to do. I need an admin to do it for me.

Dusty

To be honest I thought the days of downloading films and music etc was behind us with how cheap and readily available streaming services are.

I pay for Spotify, Netflix and Amazon prime which only comes in around £20 a month.

I do have Sky as well but that’s mainly for the sport.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
There's plenty available for free too, including public domain movies on Youtube. And these are a collection of drum machine samples available for free. I have another folder on an external hard drive that has 10 years + of collecting mostly drum samples that I'm keeping busy organising into new folders.

Screenshot 2020-03-24 at 11.35.17.png

ukzero1

Site Supporter
To be honest I thought the days of downloading films and music etc was behind us with how cheap and readily available streaming services are.

I pay for Spotify, Netflix and Amazon prime which only comes in around £20 a month.

I do have Sky as well but that’s mainly for the sport.

No mate, people are still at it, although I think most are from Yorkshire. Why pay when you can get it for free mentality.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Definitely a big selection of pirate movies out there. I have Netflix and Prime but their selection only updates every so often compared to the constant uploading of old pirated movies.

Markywhizz

Clueless member
Site Supporter
Yes I’ve been there zerkalo with samples and loops. When are you ever going to preview them all? It’s like synth presets. Omnisphere is brilliant and it comes with 14,000 presets but when am I going to listen to that many?

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I'm saving up for Omnisphere it's the best synth going! That and Altiverb I love for Reverbs. Omnisphere is just mind blowing though, that alone is used for a lot of TV and film scores now.

muskrat

Havin' a Waggle
Site Supporter
There is no way I can afford to buy it so I am not really denying the publisher a sale.

I used to justify my use of hookey PC games with the same argument; "There is no way I would ever pay money for this, so there is no victim."
- I doubt somehow that it would hold much water in court.

I do remember being given a copy of the latest 1st person shooter once so I settled in for a mega-session. A mere 5 or six hours later "THE END" popped onto my screen. I had completed the game! I remember thinking that IF I had paid £40 for it I would have been extremely peed off and disappointed.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I only really play Playstation games occasionally, on my Mac the only games I play are point and click adventures and have been waiting for Broken Sword 6 for years now. Back in the day of commodores though, like I say, used to pay a visit to 'the man' for copied floppy disks.

davylad

Site Supporter
I used to download most of my music from torrent sites, had the odd virus but nothing nasty. I lost around 2000 songs from my iTunes library, when I updated it. They were there but I couldn't play them, so never bothered putting them back. The music I uploaded to iTunes from "purchased" cd's wasn't affected, so they obviously know they've been pirated.