Illegal Downloads and Piracy

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
What are your views on digital piracy. I mean downloading cracked software or movies? Personally it irks me when I search for certain software and next to the link to buy it on a google search is link to warez version. I don't take a hardline view on it but think it's best to support small software companies. Downloading the latest Hollywood movie on the other hand, I think it's more justifiable, just don't get caught.

What do you reckon? Other than it being highly illegal, do you still do it?

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
@Zerkalo

I used to own/run a torrent site so my views may be seen as biased, but what I will say is be VERY careful. People have had fines that would make your hair curl for downloading certain films (behave ..I'm on about the top 10 films). As for software, virus's (or is it virii?) are rife on such sites, Warez were notorious for them.

As for do I still do it? hmmm...I'm pleading the 5th. :censored:

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I have had a letter from a third party warning me they have tracked my IP for downloading a film from a torrent site so I'm very careful about doing that now and recently have just been watching on youtube where most of the films on there are public domain and you're unlikely to get caught if it's not. Another side to it is all the music on youtube that people don't think twice about listening to, that decimated the music industry, vinyl sales and how many people even buy CDs anymore. I have 1000s of records but stopped buying when music on youtube took off.

With software I could easily spend as much as I do on fishing on music software, like you say, if not a virus on mac, then the software will be 'timebombed' so that it stops working if it 'rings home' or after a certain amount of use. Does often feel as the I'm throwing money in the air though when I pay for software I could just as easily get a cracked version of.

When it comes to rare films, I used to be part of a forum that ran 'World Cups' of films uploaded to private youtube channels. Often they are unavailable on DVD anyway but I would support DVD distributors where possible but I just can't afford it most of the time it's easier to download a rare Yasujiro Ozu film than buy it.

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Everyone will have their own views on it but I have to say that as a Forum, Maggotdrowning.com cannot be seen to condone it, so to all the members of the site I will just say please do not post any links to any of it on the forum. :upthumb:

ukzero1

Site Supporter
Everyone will have their own views on it but I have to say that as a Forum, Maggotdrowning.com cannot be seen to condone it, so to all the members of the site I will just say please do not post any links to any of it on the forum. :upthumb:

That's why I deliberately didn't place any links to anything. :upthumb:

Zerkalo

Site Supporter

People place links to music on youtube all the time! That's piracy although a socially acceptable form of it. Just playing devil's advocate here as I know what you mean and agree that it is theft.

ukzero1

Site Supporter
People place links to music on youtube all the time! That's piracy although a socially acceptable form of it. Just playing devil's advocate here as I know what you mean and agree that it is theft.

The links are for people to watch and listen to..not to download.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I'm guilty of youtube posting and listening too. Wouldn't want to spoil anyone's fun but it's what stopped me from buying records.

emmaemma

Site Supporter
Was it your service provider that gave you a warning? do you not run a VPN?

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Was it your service provider that gave you a warning? do you not run a VPN?

No a third party! I forget who. They sent a letter saying we have traced you downloading a film and we will report you if caught for a third time or something. I don't use a VPN at the moment as very rare that I do torrent films.

muskrat

Havin' a Waggle
Site Supporter
Years ago I may have used the occasional dodgy copy CD or DVD. But for many years now I have made a point of not doing any illegal downloading, nor being a party to watching/using anything I suspect of being so. (Working in the industry, any conviction would have likely cost me my career)

But it is incredibly difficult to avoid these days when just about everyone is at it. Even white haired old grannies know how to access the latest stuff online. The problem is that it is *so* commonplace that the majority don't even know it is illegal anymore.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
One of my earliest memories was going to the 'games man' with my dad to pick up copied floppy disks of commodore amiga games.

middyman

so is stealing things like the FA cup final, the world cup etc for pay per view profit

such stuff should be made available on free view through national broadcasters
How can it be theft if someone has bought the rights to it ,do you pay your tv license ?

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
How can it be theft if someone has bought the rights to it ,do you pay your tv license ?

because its been stolen by those who only seek to make profit

yes I pay a TV licence and for the whole period of my life, the majority of it, big sporting events were shown on free to view television

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
I have had a letter from a third party warning me they have tracked my IP for downloading a film from a torrent site so I'm very careful about doing that now and recently have just been watching on youtube where most of the films on there are public domain and you're unlikely to get caught if it's not. Another side to it is all the music on youtube that people don't think twice about listening to, that decimated the music industry, vinyl sales and how many people even buy CDs anymore. I have 1000s of records but stopped buying when music on youtube took off.

With software I could easily spend as much as I do on fishing on music software, like you say, if not a virus on mac, then the software will be 'timebombed' so that it stops working if it 'rings home' or after a certain amount of use. Does often feel as the I'm throwing money in the air though when I pay for software I could just as easily get a cracked version of.

When it comes to rare films, I used to be part of a forum that ran 'World Cups' of films uploaded to private youtube channels. Often they are unavailable on DVD anyway but I would support DVD distributors where possible but I just can't afford it most of the time it's easier to download a rare Yasujiro Ozu film than buy it.
That went so far over my head it needed an oxygen mask:error:

ukzero1

Site Supporter
When downloading such files/movies etc. there used to be a hidden file in with the film/music file/program download that 'snagged' the i.p. address of the downloader. Sony was the worst for it for music, with Paramount and Disney being the 2 worst ones for films. One they had your i.p. address, they knew which company provided you with broadband. They used to send your broadband provider a letter stating they either gave the company your details or the broadband provider would be taken to court for allowing you to download pirated movies/music. That's how individuals were getting fined.
I don't know if this still happens.

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
When downloading such files/movies etc. there used to be a hidden file in with the film/music file/program download that 'snagged' the i.p. address of the downloader. Sony was the worst for it for music, with Paramount and Disney being the 2 worst ones for films. One they had your i.p. address, they knew which company provided you with broadband. They used to send your broadband provider a letter stating they either gave the company your details or the broadband provider would be taken to court for allowing you to download pirated movies/music. That's how individuals were getting fined.
I don't know if this still happens.
My problem mate, is that I know enough to get into trouble but not enough to get out of it:help: