Iffy scales ?

Simon R

Site Supporter
Dial scales are akways open to interpretation - some have 1oz graduations, some 2oz and some 4 so it's easy to make mistakes when the fish are flapping about.
It sounds like these scales have bottomed out - it should say on the front something like 'to weigh 40lb in 2oz divisions', so if the weight gets even close to the top limit take a few fish out and insist on two weighs.

Most digital scales weigh to the nearest ounce and all the ones I've owned or used have had 55-75lb capacities - basically a keepnet full

Scales should always be zeroed before every weight with the net in place.
We use a standard purse net which, after an initial swish in the lake to dampen it, weighs 14oz - by the time we finish the weigh-in it's saturated with water and often a liberal coating of fish slime and can weigh up to 6oz more.

Simon

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
I always use the buckets, such as the ones Lindholme Lakes use/sell, or OilySkins. The big advantage is they don't retain water so after the initial wetting the weight remains the same throughout the weigh-in. Scales are still checked but seldom need resetting which alleviates any agro should a few ounces be adjusted up or down.
Another, I always use the Rueben Heaton Sportscale digital scales. Never let me down and always appear accurate to 65lb. I bought a RH case for them at one of the Big One shows which ensures they're safe from knocks when not in use, and carry a spare battery with me just in case.
The other essential is a tripod for holding the scales. It takes away the bouncing from someone holding a weight while trying to read the scale and makes life a lot easier.

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
My first brown envelope, when I was 11 yrs old, was documented in one of my first posts “early successes stay with you for life”. The club had very posh scales, counterbalance with sliding weights and they weighed in lbs, ounces AND drams. I was beaten into second place by 6 drams🥴

JLK

Beam scales Dave. Like rocking horse muck nowadays.
I'm after a set of decent beam scales if anyone is selling some?