Iffy scales ?

Paul.P

Just fished the Supercup final at Barston & although the event was excellently organised & run i had an issue with the old dial scales used to weigh the fish. When i pulled my silver fish out it felt a big 50 ( which is what i expected ), i was in the water so passed my net to my son who tipped the fish into the weigh net, needless to say we was both shocked when they said 39lb 12oz, my son who watched the scales said they just went round & stopped dead which i've never seen on dial scales, so he queried it with the scalesman who put the net back on but the same happened so the weight stood, thing is when then i pulled the carp net out it felt lighter but again the scales went round to 39lb 12oz, very coincidental !, also they said the scales were reading 2lb so they took 2lb off each weigh, but when we watched the weigh in further down the section the scales were at zero, now i'm not in any way suggesting anything was out of order, just seemed unprofessional, my point being, especially when weighing big nets of fish, & in big matches, why on earth use an old dial set of scales & not digital ?.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
my point being, especially when weighing big nets of fish, & in big matches, why on earth use an old dial set of scales & not digital ?.
Because they're easier to put in favour of a 'bezzie mate'.

Carp attack

Just fished the Supercup final at Barston & although the event was excellently organised & run i had an issue with the old dial scales used to weigh the fish. When i pulled my silver fish out it felt a big 50 ( which is what i expected ), i was in the water so passed my net to my son who tipped the fish into the weigh net, needless to say we was both shocked when they said 39lb 12oz, my son who watched the scales said they just went round & stopped dead which i've never seen on dial scales, so he queried it with the scalesman who put the net back on but the same happened so the weight stood, thing is when then i pulled the carp net out it felt lighter but again the scales went round to 39lb 12oz, very coincidental !, also they said the scales were reading 2lb so they took 2lb off each weigh, but when we watched the weigh in further down the section the scales were at zero, now i'm not in any way suggesting anything was out of order, just seemed unprofessional, my point being, especially when weighing big nets of fish, & in big matches, why on earth use an old dial set of scales & not digital ?.
Sounds very " iffy " odd to me,, couldnt they of done 2 separate weighs on the silver & carp net to get a more accurate weight if the stopped dead like that??? A set of scales stopping dead at that exact weight seems abit suss also,,,

smiffy

Site Supporter
Does sound a bit dodgy. You’re well within your rights to have your fish re-weighed. The drawback with big weights is that some of your fish will have been tipped back I guess.
Always struck me that dial scales were “ best guesstimate“ with big weights and fish flapping. Once or twice I’ve asked the scalesman to check the weight he’s called for me. There’s money involved😂😂

Anglingman

Mr Ginster
Site Supporter
I also fished this event Paul, what peg/bank was you on ?

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
There's nothing inherently wrong with Dial Scales - but they do need regular checking for accuracy against a range of weights. The scalesperson also needs to be aware that different dial scales may have different limits!

The number of times that the dial goes round also needs care, most dials go round twice IME (eg. 10 pounds twice to max 20) ... but some only do once.

Personally I prefer dials, as they aren't subject to the vagaries of duff batteries ... but admit that I'm a bit of a technophobe.

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Sounds like you're being weighed on 40lb scales so it's hitting the bump stop, which allowing for the zeroing isn't quite hitting 40lb.
Have to agree with Mark on this one.:upthumb:
Scales should always be Zero'd as well.

G0zzer2

Site Supporter
Very unprofessional of the organisers. An angler is entitled to query the weight - the stewards should have realised something was not right (Scales Weighing 2 lb?) and put the fish back in the keepnet and waited for the other scales to come round or got another set. Organisers of these big matches should ALWAYS have a spare set handy.

As Mark said it looks as if these were possibly 40 lb scales not adjusted properly. I don't understand how the stewards convinced Paul P that they should take 2 lb off each net weight. Smells fishy to me. Does Angling Times still organise this event?

Deejay8

Site Supporter
This sounds very iffy indeed. The fact that the exact weight was recorded for both nets, and the scales stopped dead, indicates that they were bottomed out. Once a protest was made, a second set of scales should have been used.

Chris Calder

Site Supporter
I suspect if silvers were weighed first they went straight back into the lake after they were weighed then the bag re-used for for the carp, so no chance for a re-weigh!, then when the carp went the same weight they probably shuffled onto the next peg quickly!
If I run matches I try to encourage the angler to look at the scales as they settle as I call the weight I look at them as if to try and get an acknowledgement, but not a lot of anglers want to do that.
I don't like it when the scales man is calling the weight before I have had a chance to eyeball it.
I see on some of the big matches you have to sign off on your weight during the weigh in which is nice and professional when big money is at stake.

62tucker

Site Supporter
Remember lending my cousin my big dial scales to weigh a carp he had caught.
23lb he shouted over.
Strange as they were my 20lb scales and not the 50lbs ones.
It had went round once and to the 3. 13lb. Not 23lb.
Sounds like they were 40lb scales
And had maxed out.

JLK

To put it mildly it sounds like you got done over big time and I would put a complaint in to the organisers to get this match cancelled and fished again using the right scales suitable for the venue. 👍🏻

OldTaff

Site Supporter
That sounds well out of order - sudden stops & identical weights with “2lb out” - too late to challenge now but on the bank I’d have had a go and demanded an alternative set of scales be used.

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
How far off an envelope were you?

This sounds a totally amateurish carve up and I feel for you mate. The scalesman should always ask the angler to check what he is going to call. If the angler isn't happy then they let the fish settle again and re read. IME dial scales never EVER stay still, the movement of the fish sees to that and, if you were tipping a net of fish in that weighed close (or even over 40lb) then they should have done it in 2 separate weighs for each keepnet. Who were the scalesmen Dumb and Dumber???

Paul.P

i wasn't at all bothered about picking up any money, it was a team match & i was much more interested in doing well for my team. As i said i was stood in the water passing my nets to my 40 yr old son who did query the weight & he did watch them put the net back on the scales & did query why the dial went round & just stopped, the scalesman said thats how those scales were ?. They must of been bigger scales than 40lb as there no net limits at Barston, only net rules are silvers in seperate net. It's probably to late now but i think i will put in a complaint to Angling Times just so they know & they might bring there own scales next year.