If you put 2 pike into a lake would they find each other and breed?

Deejay8

Site Supporter
Slightly off topic, has anyone eaten a pike. Apparently the French like them, seemingly they make some sort of fish cake with them.
All I know about eating pike is that Sue Perkins ate one during a programme on Tudor food, and said it was disgusting and described pike as a dirty fish.

Truly

Slightly off topic, has anyone eaten a pike. Apparently the French like them, seemingly they make some sort of fish cake with them.
Yes as a child/early teens in the 1950/60s. Up to 3 or 4 pounders. Plenty of meat but exceptionally difficult to get the bones out. Taste was nothing special but palatable. I expect, like wild waterfowl, it would depend upon their environment and food.
I have no plans to repeat the exercise.
Much preferred the eels.

squimp

Site Supporter
They make patties called ‘quenelles’ from pike. It is a way of processing the flesh whilst getting rid of all the tiny bones.

I once got taken to a smart London restaurant that had pike on the menu. I had to try it as I love eating fish. It was not good.

The French also eat zander and that is lovely.

I have eaten carp twice too. God knows why I did it the second time as it was awful the first time and just as bad the second time !

rudd

Site Supporter
If there's no Pike in the stretch of water to start with...why would you introduce them? Our club waters don't have Pike in, and no plans to stock them.
Why? Every water containing Rudd or Roach needs a few Predators for crowd control.
All you need are a few Jack Pike to do this unless.you have a healthy stock of 1lb + Perch.

Davethefish

Site Supporter
The Finnish love them over there. Never eaten it but am told that's it's a very bony fish ( and therefore too much like hard work for my liking )

RedhillPhil

Computers verified, riots quelled, wars started.
Site Supporter
I've eaten Pike. They are like most freshwater fish in that they're bony and bland. The (relatively speaking) better ones are those that live in running water. As a curious teenager I tried eating pretty much everything that I caught. The only freshwater fish worth eating are Eels, Zander and Perch. Particularly awful are Chub, Bream and Roach. Tench are better than Carp but that's not saying much.
And yes as Mick has stated, every water needs Pike to keep the fry, dead, dying and diseased in check. Pike are pretty much self-regulating in that they're territorial and cannibalistic.

banksy

Life Member
Site Supporter
When I was a poor student many moons ago, I caught a 6lb pike from a clean, clear chalk stream.
Thinking that this would feed the three of us in the digs, I knocked it on the head and took it for the table.

It was cleaned, soaked in salted water overnight, then cut into steaks which were lovingly poached in cider, and served with new potatoes.
It was disgusting.

So the next day, we had it cold, with a home made bearnaise sauce.
It was vile.

There was enough left for another meal, so I flaked it and we ate it with a hot curry sauce on a bed of rice.
It was 'orrible.

:vomiton:

Jimpanzee

Site Supporter
When I was a poor student many moons ago, I caught a 6lb pike from a clean, clear chalk stream.
Thinking that this would feed the three of us in the digs, I knocked it on the head and took it for the table.

It was cleaned, soaked in salted water overnight, then cut into steaks which were lovingly poached in cider, and served with new potatoes.
It was disgusting.

So the next day, we had it cold, with a home made bearnaise sauce.
It was vile.

There was enough left for another meal, so I flaked it and we ate it with a hot curry sauce on a bed of rice.
It was 'orrible.

:vomiton:
😂😂
It’s a good job the Pike is the king/queen of its habitat because it doesn’t have much else going for it from the sounds of things..

Backwoodsman

Site Supporter
Thanks to everyones response regarding eating of pike. Any thoughts I had in testing the culinary delights of pike have been banished. Being a shooting man as well as a fisherman I have mixed with several people. Who have cheerfully admitted to eating, badger, fox and squirrel .
Have read several books by a chap called Brian Plummer, he claimed to supply Chinese restaurants with foxes, can’t verify that as he his no longer with us. However I mentioned it to a couple of Chinese people I know, , they said it was nonsense.

Dean56

Site Supporter
I think there would have to be a first date, a series of ”get to know you “ dates , an engagement period and of course the wedding. All of this subject to seeking the fathers permission of course.:)

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
Thanks to everyones response regarding eating of pike. Any thoughts I had in testing the culinary delights of pike have been banished. Being a shooting man as well as a fisherman I have mixed with several people. Who have cheerfully admitted to eating, badger, fox and squirrel .
Have read several books by a chap called Brian Plummer, he claimed to supply Chinese restaurants with foxes, can’t verify that as he his no longer with us. However I mentioned it to a couple of Chinese people I know, , they said it was nonsense.
Mr plummer was a very good author, really enjoyed his books on his exploits and dogs

CarpCatcher86

I was just wondering "hypothetically"... If you put 2 pike into a lake or even canal system that had ZERO pike to begin with, would they find each other? Presuming this is a healthy breeding couple, could they reproduce if they did manage to seek one another? I just thought of the question since there's a lake near me that has no pike in it supposedly, although I find it hard to believe!
Why do you find it hard to believe? Unless you have caught pike from a water or you know someone who has, it's quite easy to believe there are no pike in said water.

R0B

I'm sure they'd find each other and mate. But as pike are so stupid they'd probably try and mate with a log, a duck or anything else first.