If you go down to the woods today...

spanky

Irregular Member
Site Supporter
I've just been out for a short walk - bit of fresh air and exercise before my 4pm video conf from hell.

Today I thought I'd walk to the woods about 5 mins from the house, have a stroll round and come back - a nice 30-40 minutes.

I was half way to the woods when the rain started... looking to the sky I could see a black cloud and some lighter stuff behind. So off to the woods thought I, shelter under a tree for a few minutes and then carry on.

So I sheltered under the first tree. After sheltering for a few minutes the rain seemed to ease... so I wandered off... but the rain was still quite strong so I found a second tree to shelter under.

30 seconds later...

A tree by my first sheltering location fell down. An old oak tree about 2ft in diameter at the base, smashing everything in it's path.

Man. That was close.

Whilst it wouldn't have hit me in the first sheltering location, it would have hit me as I walked between the two trees.

I think I may need to play the lottery tonight.

JayBee

Site Supporter
I've just been out for a short walk - bit of fresh air and exercise before my 4pm video conf from hell.

Today I thought I'd walk to the woods about 5 mins from the house, have a stroll round and come back - a nice 30-40 minutes.

I was half way to the woods when the rain started... looking to the sky I could see a black cloud and some lighter stuff behind. So off to the woods thought I, shelter under a tree for a few minutes and then carry on.

So I sheltered under the first tree. After sheltering for a few minutes the rain seemed to ease... so I wandered off... but the rain was still quite strong so I found a second tree to shelter under.

30 seconds later...

A tree by my first sheltering location fell down. An old oak tree about 2ft in diameter at the base, smashing everything in it's path.

Man. That was close.

Whilst it wouldn't have hit me in the first sheltering location, it would have hit me as I walked between the two trees.

Do you have an enemy with a silent chainsaw by any chance?.

spanky

Irregular Member
Site Supporter
Did it fall, or was it pushed? o_O

And did you have some clean pants to put on, back at home?
Pushed probably. Those damned squirrels

TBH it happened so fast I didn't realise what was happening. There was no warning (no creaking or splitting sound) just a quiet whoompf as the tree hit the ground and tore the roots out the soil.

muskrat

Havin' a Waggle
Site Supporter
I know how you must have felt though. As lads we were running through some woods in a thunderstorm and a tree fell with a massive thump a few yards in front of us. A few seconds later and it would have gone squish. Brown trousers all round, and out of there like bats out of hell. :eek:

spanky

Irregular Member
Site Supporter
I remember fishing the GUC just after a stormy night and it was still quite windy.

As I arrived I could see a major tree was down (three foot across the trunk) - it had fallen perpendicular to the canal crossing the towpath and blocking off the canal. It was quite funny watching the pedestrians, joggers and bikers clamber over it.

I set up and fished for a few hours as the trees around me squeaked and groaned in the wind. After a few hours it occurred to me that this might not be the smartest thing to be doing right now, so I packed up a left.

I don't know what it like round by you, but half the trees near me are covered in ivy which is slowly choking the life out the trees. Seeing a fallen tree is a regular thing - I cant believe there aren't more serious incidents than there are.

rudd

Site Supporter

30 seconds later...

Man. That was close.

glad your oak ay

rudd

Site Supporter
On a work party last year another member and myself were barrowing bark.
Very windy and we heard a thump behind us, a limb had snapped off a tree and catapulted a few meters from where you would expect it to land. Took six of us to shift it!
Seen a few trees come down around the lakes - some on still days!