If you go down to the Woods today

mickthechippy

23/04/2008 - 25/12/2021
Staff member
Site Supporter
In Memoriam
You might see where himself and I have been

had a walk out in search of some Hazel, mainly for a couple of decent lengths around six foot long and an inch and a half thick that ended up in a split at the end

many trees searched and two lengths that suited found,

gonna make myself a couple new thumbsticks for the walkin

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
You might see where himself and I have been

had a walk out in search of some Hazel, mainly for a couple of decent lengths around six foot long and an inch and a half thick that ended up in a split at the end

many trees searched and two lengths that suited found,

gonna make myself a couple new thumbsticks for the walkin
Post a pic when you've done mate(y)

mickthechippy

23/04/2008 - 25/12/2021
Staff member
Site Supporter
In Memoriam
Post a pic when you've done mate(y)

what ? and have someone take my name in vain ?

one is to be peeled and Im going to try twisting it, and the other will be left with the bark on, but decorated with some whipped brass wire, both will be tipped with either copper or stainless tube

that stick in that vid has far too bigger V you want a junction that is less of an angle,

Barbelcatcher

Site Supporter
about 15 years ago, I broke my pelvis in 2 parts, and fractured my ankle, because of the muscle wastage over 15 months, I was encouraged to go walking. Like you I got hazel, briar and many more, and tried carving them. Then doing a google found this bloke working and was truely amazed. Wrote to him and asked how he had developed the skill. His response was that he was like me to start with - terrible - but practise makes perfect - Well he has excelled I have stopped at the terrible. If you want a walking stick ferrule - gives us a shout I have a few - but would need the size.

mickthechippy

23/04/2008 - 25/12/2021
Staff member
Site Supporter
In Memoriam
about 15 years ago, I broke my pelvis in 2 parts, and fractured my ankle, because of the muscle wastage over 15 months, I was encouraged to go walking. Like you I got hazel, briar and many more, and tried carving them. Then doing a google found this bloke working and was truely amazed. Wrote to him and asked how he had developed the skill. His response was that he was like me to start with - terrible - but practise makes perfect - Well he has excelled I have stopped at the terrible. If you want a walking stick ferrule - gives us a shout I have a few - but would need the size.

proper nice gear there aint there, cheers for that

I gotta dremel but never thought a using it for carving things

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter

mickthechippy

23/04/2008 - 25/12/2021
Staff member
Site Supporter
In Memoriam