If you could only fish ONE place

badgerale

There's a drain local to me that I fished as a teenager. I remember big bream, and some good sized perch, as well as jack pike, eels, and endless roach. I always remember catching a tench, one of my first, and that it was big enough that i risked asking another angler to borrow their scales to weigh it - risked because i was fishing without a club membership or rod licence and would sometimes get kicked out.

Returning to fishing in my 40s, I've put my hand in my pocket to join the club, but have caught barely anything in 20 odd sessions, just smallish roach and perch. I've seen the old geezers pole fish it match style and they seem to do even worse than me with my waggler.

On one hand it's a sad illustration of how our natural waters have declined - on the other hand it's really given me a sense of challenge, and a sense of mystery to the place. I really 'feel' like there's some nice fish in there, I just need to be there with the right bait at the right time.

I think if I could fish only one place it would be there. I'd need a challenge to keep me interested and there every fish is an achievement.

Contrast that with another club pond i tried recently, with loads of carp cruising about under the surface and greedily gulping in floating bread. I caught a lot of decent sized fish that morning - but where was the challenge? Where was the mystery? I think I actually saw half the fish in there. Ultimately it left an empty feeling and I have little desire to go back.

Browner

Site Supporter
That's just heaven to have on your doorstep! It's only a little over 20 minutes to my closest good river spots on the morning trips there but it can be over half that again in the afternoon traffic on the way home.
I’m very lucky. In the summer, I can wonder down in the evening with a rod, landing net, a small shoulder bag and some bread and catch chub, roach and bream for a couple hours then wonder home.

OldTaff

Site Supporter
@OldTaff .
what a lovely bit of lake
It’s the bit that links the top & bottom lakes, has a lovely deep section running through it and is where water flows in from a waterfall fed by another super little lake further up the mountain.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I’m very lucky. In the summer, I can wonder down in the evening with a rod, landing net, a small shoulder bag and some bread and catch chub, roach and bream for a couple hours then wonder home.
That’s ideal! You’re very lucky indeed 👍🏻

River fishing has to be fairly early starts for me. If not I can’t easily park or get a swim that doesn’t involve as massive walk 😔 Plus the best fishing is generally in the morning before the places start resembling theme parks 😅 I don’t mind though as is lovely being out on a river early when everything’s calm and quiet 😍

Deejay8

Site Supporter
It would be Marchwood Lake at Marchwood Priory, just outside the village of Marchwood, which is on the Waterside. The area bordered by Southampton Water to the East and the New Forest to the West. It was the first place I fished, and the only water that I have fished that I could totally absorb myself in for day after day, and each day was different. The lake belongs to Test Valley and Southampton Piscatorial Society. I haven't fished it since 1992 and I doubt I will again, but if I had only one lake to fish, that would be it. marchwood1.jpg

squimp

Site Supporter
A flat on the north coast of Cuba, fly fishing for permit.

When will I get back there ? God knows.......

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
A flat on the north coast of Cuba, fly fishing for permit.

When will I get back there ? God knows.......
I’m thinking surely next year for international trips 🤞🏻

When I cancelled last years Florida trip I never once imagined I wouldn’t be going this year either. It had just become part of my yearly routine after going 6 years in a row, will be like starting again whenever I next go!

squimp

Site Supporter
I’m thinking surely next year for international trips 🤞🏻

When I cancelled last years Florida trip I never once imagined I wouldn’t be going this year either. It had just become part of my yearly routine after going 6 years in a row, will be like starting again whenever I next go!
Fingers crossed.....

I was booked to fish in Alaska this time next month - but that has been postponed for the second year. My fishing mate for that trip lives in Australia and earlier this week he told me he reckons Aus might still be ‘closed’ in June 2022 !! Anybody fancy a trip fly fishing for chinook salmon.....

cuzza

Fingers crossed.....

I was booked to fish in Alaska this time next month - but that has been postponed for the second year. My fishing mate for that trip lives in Australia and earlier this week he told me he reckons Aus might still be ‘closed’ in June 2022 !! Anybody fancy a trip fly fishing for chinook salmon.....
Which river/lodge are you booked on?

I did the Kanektok in July a few years ago and got the Alaska Grand Slam but I didn’t get a really big chinook like you get in early season

squimp

Site Supporter
Which river/lodge are you booked on?

I did the Kanektok in July a few years ago and got the Alaska Grand Slam but I didn’t get a really big chinook like you get in early season
Good news River. Going at peak chinook time.

2 years ago fished at Hoodoo which was great despite 7 days of unbroken sun and 80 degree temperatures - 20 degrees above normal !

cuzza

Good news River. Going at peak chinook time.

2 years ago fished at Hoodoo which was great despite 7 days of unbroken sun and 80 degree temperatures - 20 degrees above normal !
That’ll be fantastic, when we looked at places they were doing transfers from Anchorage in their own Dakota which was pretty cool. Do they still run it?

I always said I’d go back for a big king at some point

pauln

Dreadexit
Site Supporter
My local - the Tees.
Trout, Greyling, Dace, Chub, Barbel, Bream, Roach, Eels and Perch.

Tinca Mad

Site Supporter
Winter - River Barrow for Roach & Hybrids
Summer - River Shannon for Tench, Rudd & Bream

squimp

Site Supporter
That’ll be fantastic, when we looked at places they were doing transfers from Anchorage in their own Dakota which was pretty cool. Do they still run it?

I always said I’d go back for a big king at some point
Absolutely; they still run an old Dakota ! Several of my mates have been to GNL previously. Fab silver fishing later in the summer.

Chinook are great fish - they eat the fly, there are plenty of them and they are big ! A bit like fishing for Atlantic salmon- but WITH fish.....

cuzza

They’re great - they ran up the creeks from Lake Ontario near my house and were great fun on a ten weight, just watching them work their way up was quite the sight.

Hope your mate manages to get up to AK!