If you could only fish ONE place

BoldBear

Either my local stream which is full of Barbel, Chub, Roach and Dace (see pic)
MF-Upstream800x600.jpg

Or my local and very remote private Estate Lake where during the week I can often find I’m the only Angler there. (See pic which was taken before the Lillies started to erupt and with the two islands on the left).
Tykes-Lake-Big-Lake-2008-05800x600.jpg

Keith

Last edited:

bluemack

Site Supporter
If i was put in a position where i could only fish one venue,i,d take up another sport/hobby/pastime
as much as i love my fishing i cant imagine not having some variation.:poop:

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
If i was put in a position where i could only fish one venue,i,d take up another sport/hobby/pastime
as much as i love my fishing i cant imagine not having some variation.:poop:
I reckon it would be doable for a bit on a long enough say 100 mile plus river. I'm thinking gamey headwaters, coarse middle reaches and sea fishing in the estuary with variable habitats at each different stage. Definitely be doable in some sea fishing areas in some exotic places abroad if you stretched the definition of one venue a bit!

Bulldog

Site Supporter
swanswell_park_and_pool_1.jpg
Where i started fishing all them years ago Swanswell Pool in Coventry City Centre

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Bristol Avon, 5 minutes walk from my front door.
9F334D7C-08B4-4B6F-B5BB-8F24F156647C.jpeg
That's just heaven to have on your doorstep! It's only a little over 20 minutes to my closest good river spots on the morning trips there but it can be over half that again in the afternoon traffic on the way home.

bluemack

Site Supporter
I reckon it would be doable for a bit on a long enough say 100 mile plus river. I'm thinking gamey headwaters, coarse middle reaches and sea fishing in the estuary with variable habitats at each different stage. Definitely be doable in some sea fishing areas in some exotic places abroad if you stretched the definition of one venue a bit!
I suppose if you count the whole length of a river it would be bearable BUT as Zerkalo only picked out Arley i,d imagine it would be one stretch of one river. If really pushed i,d go for Warks Avon on the Stratford town waters(and go just 4 times a year) :p

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I suppose if you count the whole length of a river it would be bearable BUT as Zerkalo only picked out Arley i,d imagine it would be one stretch of one river. If really pushed i,d go for Warks Avon on the Stratford town waters(and go just 4 times a year) :p
Oh yeah you've definitely got to bend the rules to make it work 😉

Cobweb

Site Supporter
There are several rivers in Guyana, more than one of which holds a huge variety of freshwater fish (also some piranha and caymans). I considered taking a job offer there because of the fishing in the Essiquibo. A bit more of an adventure challenge than say the Shannon and needs a risk assessment now and again :cool:

Nunachuk

Nunachuk
Site Supporter
For me it would be the river Ijssel in Holland, as you never know what the next bite will produce, (on one mini Festival, my mate Mac caught a 10Lb 8oz Sturgeon).

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
For me, it would have to be somewhere that
  1. has matches fished on it
  2. has a variety of species and winning methods (chub, barbel, dace, roach, bream, perch)
  3. throws up decent Weights throughout the season (see point above)
  4. is picturesque
  5. flows :)

so, of all the venues that I fish, my “local“ river on the Warks Avon takes some beating.
But even then, with 50 pegs tops i’d still get itchy feet and NEED to fish elsewhere.

icaughtafishonce

Probably the Wye. Trout on the upper reaches in Spring/Summer. Salmon in the Autumn. Barbel at the end of Autumn and then Chub/Pike when winter hits. I'm sure there's got to be some nice Grayling on there as well.

If you could actually fish for Chub and Barbel on the Usk, then I'd probably go for the Usk. It's a toughie.

violator

Gillhams in Thailand, I've fished Top Cats and Fishing Park Samui, but Gillhams is the jewel in the crown.

PearTree

Calder Exile
Site Supporter
Gillhams in Thailand, I've fished Top Cats and Fishing Park Samui, but Gillhams is the jewel in the crown.
Not for me I’m afraid, although we love Samui and I have ‘fished’ on Top Cats but I didn’t bother on our last few visits. We always dropped in for sunday lunch though when we‘ve been to Samui since. My Mrs showed Shaun’s wife how to make proper Yorkshire puddings 😋