If you could only fish ONE place

mike fox

'Just Me and the Fish'
Site Supporter
Stocking as normal, not certain as to this massive price increare. The season ticket has doubled to £700 , some years I buy the season ticket other years I just use the day ticket scheme. Had a pleasant exchange with the estate office informing them that due to the extreme price increase I wouldn’t be fishing at Bolton again. They said they were sorry but weren’t prepared to change the costs. I said good luck trying to sell a day ticket for £60 in summer when the day trippers and kids are swimming in the river.
My thoughts exactly. I never fished it in mid summer or bank holidays etc for that very reason. I see they have reduced the day ticket season as well. Ridiculous!! 😠 I assume the Ilkley stretch is still the same price? I have some great Mayfly fishing this time of year for £11 a day.

MrBen

Site Supporter
Well vale, it was part of the Alford ticket when I was at school but it was later sold off, had some wonderful times and is probably one of the places that got me hooked on fishing.

Total

Site Supporter
Oooh nice, not far away from me but only ever fished it once. When l get the chance l'm going to have a few sessions. 👍
Is that not the Thames at Lechlade rather than the Gloucester canal?:unsure:

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
I have to say my club waters at Ringstead. Specimen lake, two match style lakes with mixed stocking as well as river, with adjacent road and platforms plus backwater, weirpool and lock cut.

Ten minutes from home and McD for breakfast en route.

Tristar

A club water called Fall Birch. Its not a big place as such but holds many happy memories of my Dad teaching me to blank oops I meant fish. Very pieceful and great place to unwind. Since he passed away I go there sometimes just to think of him and just sit there.

Last edited:

Backwoodsman

Site Supporter
My thoughts exactly. I never fished it in mid summer or bank holidays etc for that very reason. I see they have reduced the day ticket season as well. Ridiculous!! 😠 I assume the Ilkley stretch is still the same price? I have some great Mayfly fishing this time of year for £11 a day.
Haven’t checked out ilkley this season, I have a York membership which has some fly water. I used to have a Bradford no 1 book which has some decent fly water on the aire. Plus some other waters, might rejoin Bradford, although I am a member of Bradford city angling so I think I have enough waters to fish !! . I used to exclusively fly fish, now I have retired I would guess the ratio is 90% course and 10 % fly. Almost forgot I sometimes fish up at Leighton reservoir , some decent trout in that place. Also with the water being clear and clean the rainbow trout make good eating.

rudd

Site Supporter
Where would it be?

For me it's a toss up between the little weir near my house and Arley on the river Severn, with the Severn just edging it, but at either of those that means no fishing during closed season or for half of winter when it's likely flooded.
Indian Ocean

rudd

Site Supporter
😂 tbf I nearly said gulf of Mexico and it’s connected bays and backwaters but thought that might be pushing one place even if technically one water 😅
I once read a story where an angler went to heaven and was granted one wish.
He chose to fish the same weir for the same big Brownie for the rest of time.
After some months when checked upon he admitted to be living in Purgatory.

In the real world I liken that to match fishing commercials for Carp week in / week out 😯😯😯

Hard hat on running for the air raid shelter,..........................😬

Different floats for Different folks 😉

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I once read a story where an angler went to heaven and was granted one wish.
He chose to fish the same weir for the same big Brownie for the rest of time.
After some months when checked upon he admitted to be living in Purgatory.

In the real world I liken that to match fishing commercials for Carp week in / week out 😯😯😯

Hard hat on running for the air raid shelter,..........................😬

Different floats for Different folks 😉
Yeah I couldn’t fish one lake forever that’s for sure. I’m bored stiff of lakes full stop by the end of the closed season let alone just one lake forever! Could be doable with a long enough river or an ocean, sea or gulf though!

rudd

Site Supporter
Yeah I couldn’t fish one lake forever that’s for sure. I’m bored stiff of lakes full stop by the end of the closed season let alone just one lake forever! Could be doable with a long enough river or an ocean, sea or gulf though!
Agreed, I am hoping at some point over Summer to go fishing for Plaice 😀

Mike atkinson

Site Supporter
Semerwater in the Yorkshire dales, big, wild natural lake, I can chuck a feeder out for bream n roach, or go and fish the waggler or stick float, for roach, where the lake flows out, into the river, all on one venue👍👍👍

Markywhizz

Clueless member
Site Supporter
Well I might be the only one but I’d fish a commercial. Birch House Lakes in Ashbourne. One lake in the summer for carp and another for silvers in winter.

From a tranquility point of view I could happily fish one of our club lakes for the rest of my life as I love it there.

Silver fan 82

There is a collection of lakes in Belgium known as Carpinsula. Yes they are carp lakes but look absolutely beautiful as do the fish in the lakes.
Small, intimate lakes full of features and lovely looking carp. Right up my alley.
For anyone interested :

Northantslad

'Any indications?
Site Supporter
Severn, as long as everyone else didn't chose it. Trent if the former remains a circus.

Cobweb

Site Supporter
It would be a river. I loved the Shannon, but I think I'd choose the Wye in Herefordshire. Never fished it yet, but it's on my bucket list

Pompous git

Site Supporter
The Somerly estate, everything a fly/coarse angler could wish for {when Christchurch had it}.