If you could get back 1 item of kit

Browner

Site Supporter
Thinking today that if I could get back only 1 item of kit that I have either sold, lost, broken, left somewhere, had stolen or just worn out, what would I go for. I think for me it might be a Shakespeare Excelsior rod from about the mid 90’s that I sold. It was pencil thin and made a lovely all round float rod. At the time I think it was a top end rod.

Last edited:

Davethefish

Site Supporter
Ditto, still have a 12ft but foolishly moved on 13ft and 14ft versions. Oh the recklessness of youth !!!

And it was green ( the xl version , not the original ), lovely (y)

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
I've been lucky enough to have never sold, lost, broken, or worn out anything that I've really valued. I've never had anything stolen either. There is still the odd older item that I've never managed to purchase that I still covet However, I doubt those items will actually be better than the best of what I already own. It would still be fun to find out.

Browner

Site Supporter
Ditto, still have a 12ft but foolishly moved on 13ft and 14ft versions. Oh the recklessness of youth !!!

And it was green ( the xl version , not the original ), lovely (y)
Mine was red towards the butt. They also made an Excelsior pole and a whip.

Deejay8

Site Supporter
My first rod was a fibreglass Shakespeare Sigma 12ft match rod. I loved it. It was a really nice rod, and really good for tench fishing. I had recently upgraded to a carbon top of the range Shakespeare President Super Match 13ft rod. But the Sigma was my favourite for tench fishing.
One day I was fishing with both rods set up. I was using the President on the deck, with the Sigma set up to catch shallow. It was laid alongside my box in my peg. Not in anyone's way.
There was a guy fishing two pegs up. He was the only other angler on the pond. I was fishing away minding my own business, when suddenly he came running down the bank, with a fish in his hands and a camera. He ran straight into my peg shouting about this giant bream. It actually wasn't a giant, but it was a rare bronze fish of about 3lbs, of which there weren't many on this pond, most being silver skimmers.
"Please photograph my specimen bream" he shouted excitedly as he charged into my swim. CRAACKK!!! The idiot trod straight on the butt of my Sigma splitting it in that horrible way that fibreglass does.
He then tried to blame me for having a rod on the floor. It was in my bloody peg where only I should be.
In the end he agreed to pay for a new one. He gave me a tenner he had on him,and said he bring 30 more later. He showed me his fishing licence so I could I.D him.
I never saw him again. I complained to the club. They contacted him, and he lied, saying the rod was lying across the path. The club said they couldn't do anything, as it was his word against mine.
If I had seen him again, I would have probably smacked him, so perhaps it's for the best I never did.
I would love to get another one of these rods, but they are incredibly rare.

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
Hard one... its a toss up twixt my Gerry Savage SU carp rods, or my Sealey Blue Match

Reuben

Site Supporter
Mark Tunley custom 12ft 1.25lb TC rod with a separate feeder carrier. On Harrison blanks. Nicked from my house when I lived in Nottingham. On the bright side I found the burglar before the police did but couldn’t trace the rod.

Mothy1965

Site Supporter
My Father in law - lost two years ago last Sunday. Would love another days fishing with him followed by a beer or two.
Aw mate, my FiL was also my best mate, God bless him, looking forward to a glass of red up above when the time comes

Godber

Fruity Susan, Nobice and Inventor of W@nkles.
Site Supporter
My old Maver seatbox. Fairly light, loads of storage place and drawers. Idiot me thought a Space station was better...... but saying that, l do love my Spacey aswell, wont get rid of it.

Aztecca

Site Supporter
I got a Dam exquisite match 14ft float rod in the early 90s for Christmas.It was my first "proper" rod and I would love another.

rudd

Serial Blanker
Site Supporter
Tackle wise a 14ft Shimano Twin Power Match rod.
My first decent rod.

davej1981

My drennan team england action tip waggler rod. Sold it along with all my other team england rods few years ago when i was really hard up. Regretted it almost immediately and cant afford to replace it now

DAF 3600

Thinking today that if I could get back only 1 item of kit that I have either sold, lost, broken, left somewhere, had stolen or just worn out, what would I go for. I think for me it might be a Shakespeare Excelsior rod from about the mid 90’s that I sold. It was pencil thin and made a lovely all round float rod. At the time I think it was a top end rod.
Matchbox original Clint model. Still check websites for the 6 draw to try and find one, allso Preston leg extenders 19mm ones.

Attachments

• 151467203_10223799965258120_4868830338739266294_n (1).jpg
    151467203_10223799965258120_4868830338739266294_n (1).jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG1001A.jpg
    IMG1001A.jpg
    272.5 KB · Views: 13

Griffo

Site Supporter
Similar to others my first proper float rod, had some dreadful early rods like telegraph poles this was like a pencil in comparison, back in about 1989, Daiwa black shadow 13ft float rod, gave it to my mother in law, she’s 78 now and still has it.I’ll get it back eventually, (and probably find out it’s not really any good compared to some of my current rods 😂).

squimp

Site Supporter
A pair of Simpsons carbon Avon rods.

Stolen from my car when it broke down after a long session in Kent in the 80’s. I can’t remember the other 4 rods that went as well.

I’ve never found anything as nice and God knows I’ve looked.

Chervil

Site Supporter
Most probably look at some of the old kit through rose tinted glasses. However, I have fond memories of an 11' 6" Abu Garcia Silver Feeder Rod, with a spliced in tip.
I over gunned it a bit and it snapped, in two places.

nejohn

Site Supporter
For me I think it would be my first proper carbon float rod a lovely (for the time) Hardy 13ft spliced tip rod it was bought for me as a Christmas present in probably 1979 or 1980 it got stolen along with some other kit...I have never even bothered trying to find another one as although it may be the same model it would not be MY rod. In the same lot of kit that was stolen the only thing I have yet to replace that I wanted to replace like for like is a 13ft Shimano triple X spliced tip rod , I have seen a few but they are either missing an inch or 3 or the seller is looking for silly money...but I will keep looking for that one