If you could fish any venue?

banksy

Life Member
Site Supporter
Welham Lake near Malton, an old estate-type lake and a superb tench fishery.
But it would have the be in the 1970’s, because the owner subsequently chucked carp into it. 😫

g1bbo71

It used to be to goto South Africa or Australia for a Great White but nowadays due to conservation etc I would rather cage dive and see them. I am hoping to do a bucket list when I hit 55 only 4 years to go, gonna snaffle some pension pot and do a few trips abroad, Florida Keys for Tarpon, Jacks and hopefully a big grouper and loads of sharks then big game fishing somewhere for sailfish and who knows a Marlin or 2 (one would do). Watch this space.....

bryan white

Site Supporter
Winter on the river test for the grayling.
I would love to try trotting on a pin for them but I wouldn’t be insulted if I had to cast a fly .

inky finger

Newbury AA waters during the 80s and 90's.Stunning well looked after fishery Crucians to 3lb, Barbel/Roach on the Kennet, big Pike in the winter on the lakes and Tench though out the year on Knotts lake. They have now given up on bits of under used river Kennet and the lakes are little more than for carp boys. Stewartby Resi (now) can be excellent big roach, bream and hybrids on the slider just wish i could get to the majority of the the swims as the access down to the lake is difficult for me now. I also Fancy going to Llangdefedd/Loch Lomond for the slivers... proper waters If it was abroad lake Corbara in Italy and Panthier lake in France look like big float heaven.

corbyclubman

An old lake on some private farmland in a village called dingly just outside of Corby, find memories as a kid learning the method feeder catching lumps of carp
Fishing Matches there with my dad and corby AC a good 15-20 years ago sometimes having a nice bbq break half way through
Those were the days

an angler

it would have to be a river .a river is wild as are the fish and on any given peg it has to be fished in a different way .so the interest is always there and rivers will throw up fish even in the dark depths of a long winter ....flooding is the only handicap ..but rivers change with the moods of the seasons .and you are always having to change tactics baits swims to get the most from them.. i do like lakes and commercials with more fish than water .but i find them the same .same bait same tactic same pegs same anglers on the same swim week in week out doing the same things just the same tame and you just catch more as the water warms up and less as it cools down ,if im feeling lazy its a commercial..if not a river every time..

minkyandbear

Site Supporter
Impossible one this as different venues are different by time and the season. So many lovely venues near me I am truly spoilt for choice.

However looking back on nostalgic venues I'd to fish many places I've enjoyed in 59 years of fish but, as at this moment, I choice two.

Firstly I'd love to fish Pebmarsh Lake, around 1989, when it was free of carp and the main species were crucians, tench and rudd, I'd fish the jetty peg at 11m on the pole with Kingsmill flake on a size 14 hook, lift method style for the crucians. Bags of 30 to 50 in a session were not uncommon.

Secondly, around the same era, I'd fish Bolingey in Cornwall when it was home to some lovely tench as well as the carp, in the happy days the fishery was run by John and Maddy Castle, before Whiteacres created a Carpodrome.

davej

old hippy
Site Supporter
I would be quite happy going back to fish the Bristol Avon around Chippenham and Lacock, where i fished for 50 yrs before moving here.

an angler

do any anglers out there remember gozzers big fat white maggots .match anglers swore by them for big roach and bream i wonder what the carp would make of them . i used to get them from billy lane .at lanes baits coventry .i recall you needed a sharp hook and had to take your time as they burst easy .good bait though.does any one still do them or use them.just a thought..

Davethefish

Site Supporter
If you could fish any venue where would it be?

I would like to fish

a) Marsh Farm, Godalming. Probably the preeminent Crucian fishery I know of.
b) Sutton Lake, Shropshire. A Carp syndicate that also holds big Crucians.

Feels like I haven't shut up about Crucians since catching a few big ones this year, they're addictive. Only other place I can think of right now that I'd like to have a dabble on is Walthamstow Reservoirs for the big Bream. Maybe a lottery win or something and I'd buy a property close by.

Suggestions for me welcome, otherwise what are your choices?
If you won the lottery Steve you really wouldn't want to be buying in Walthamstow :D Maybe slightly further out.............Edinburgh maybe !