If a pole float is labelled as 0.4g...

SUFC

...is this the weight of shot to cock it correctly in the water?
None of my shot have weights written on the box, only No.6,8,10 etc, so it's a bit of trial and error to get it right.

Brian Lody

Site Supporter

0.4 also known as 4x14 is a common size.
6 No8s.
Although you may have less No8s and some No10 droppers.
Weights are easy to calculate see chart.

Scribe

Official Supplier of Pork Pies to the Drowners
Site Supporter
Have a look at Angling Times Pole Float Conversion Chart

The 4 X 12 = 0.2g is wrong and I can't remember the correct weight it should be.

The other useful tool is this Shotting Calculator just make sure you change the weights tab at the top to Shot 1 instead of Styl.

Hope that helps at the end of the day it's always a bit of trial and error - I find a Dosiampiombo very useful for shotting pole floats

Scribe

Official Supplier of Pork Pies to the Drowners
Site Supporter
One other thing just because the guide states 4 X 14 - 0.4g use 6 x 8 shot, feel free to use smaller shot up to the same total weight, I very rarely use No 8 shot unless it's a float set up with a bulk shot close to the hook link. As in lots of things in angling there are very few definitive answers treat the guides as just that a set of guides not a set of rules. (y)

It's also handy to keep a number of the smaller shot 11's & 12's to use as trimming shot under the float to get the float to sit just right.

Brian Lody

Site Supporter
Something else to mention is the use of No8s for bulk.
You may wonder why not use 6s / 4s or larger for the bulk.
Well the larger shot are not lead (in the UK) so likely harder and potentially line damaging.
Some anglers are paranoid about that.

Also several smaller shot instead of a single larger one extends to you the flexibility to spread the bulk around changing the presentation.

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
Will 0.4g of shot set the float perfectly in the water? Almost certainly not. Variations in materials, water density, temperature and air pressure will all affect the actual weight needed on any given day.

I explain about float load markings and shotting in my Beginner's Guide to Pole Fishing on my blog.