IE Help required

Status
Not open for further replies.

keith

Gandhi
Site Supporter
Hi all,

I do not know if you can help but i know a lot of you are whizzes on a pc unlike me.I seem to have lost the navigation bar and address bar on internet explorer.i have the blue line at the top of the page with what looks like 3 thin blue lines underneath where the command lines should be.I cannot grip them to drag them down to see if they have moved up.I also cannot right click on them to see if they are there.what do you experts suggest i do.
I have managed to put a address bar on my desktop to get into sites but have to rightclick on the page to get around sites.

Cheers in advance Keith.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hi Keith,

Have you got the bar that gives you: File | Edit | View | Favorites | Tools | Help ?

If so go to View and select Toolbars, click the options that you want.

If you haven't got this bar then it sounds like something has gone wrong within IE.
Go to Start>Settings>Control Panel>Add/Remove Programs in the options select Microsoft Internet Explorer and click the remove button. This will then open up a window giving you the option to 'Repair Internet Explorer' and Restore the previous Windows Configuration'

Choose repair and then re-boot your PC when prompted.

If this doesn't work let us know and we'll take it from there,

Dave

doughnut

Or!

The easy way is to right click somewhere at the top of the explorer and you will get a menu... just click on the features you want such as the address bar and your away!

Also if you right click on one of your standard buttons you will get a customize option and oyou will be able to add and remove buttons from there!

Good Luck, Robin.

keith

Gandhi
Site Supporter
Dave,

I do not have the file/edit/view/favorites/tools/help bars.

I think the three lines underneath the IE blue line at top of the page consist of this and the address bar.

I did what you suggested in removing and repairing internet explorer and rebooted the pc but still no joy.

Any other ideas.

Robin,

The lines at the top of the page will only allow me to shrink and close the page.If i right click on the line nothing.

Keith.

doughnut

Your clicking too high.... click below the top line where the plus and minus icons are, also did you try clicking on the standard buttons?

C'ya.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hi Keith,

What version of IE are you running, 5.0, 5.5 or 6.0?

Regards, Dave

keith

Gandhi
Site Supporter
Robin,

here are no plus or minus signs on the page only the _ two boxes and x in the right hand corner.

Dave,

I think it is IE 6 but not sure to be honest.Someone at work said go to the microsoft site and download the latest version so i did and still have these lines at thetop of the page.

Regards Keith.

doughnut

Do you know how to do a screenshot?

try hitting F11 on your keyboard, does anything happen?

C'ya, Robin.

keith

Gandhi
Site Supporter
Robin,

The page gets larger and the IE line and 3 lines underneath disappear from view.

Keith.

doughnut

Try this, I think you can post pictures here, is that right Dave?

open your IE, once its loaded press "print screen" on your keyboard, open Paint or something like that, go to file then edit and choose paste.... save the pic as a jpg (not bitmap its too large) and then post it on here if that is possible.

We'll crack it mate!

Admin

Forum Admin
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hi Keith,

It sounds as if your Internet Explorer keys in your registry are corrupt. How confident are you with PC's?

The reason why I ask is it may pay you to remove the IE items in your registry and re-install Internet Explorer.

Before you start, its a good idea to back-up your Registry. To do this, type Scanregw into the text box that you will see after clicking the 'Run' option in the Start menu, click 'OK' and when prompted, agree to back up the Registry
If you need to restore a previously backed up registry you should type Scanregw/restore into the same text box.

Have you got a disk with a copy of Internet Explorer on? If not again before removing anything go back to Microsoft's site and download a Internet Explorer but save it to a folder on your PC rather than run it.

Go to Start>Run type in regedit and this will open your Registry Editor.

1st- Click HKEY_CURRENT_USER, doubleclick the Software folder, click Microsoft and click Internet Explorer to highlight it.
At the top of the window, click Registry and select Export Registry File. Save the file in your My Documents folder

2nd- Click HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, double click the Software folder, double click Microsoft. In here you will find a folder called IE Setup, possibly a previous version or two of Internet Explorer and the present version.
Highlight each one in turn and again use the Export Registry File to remove each to your My Documents folder.

3rd- Close the Registry Editor window and reboot your PC.

When it has come back on, go to the download or disk with Internet Explorer on and install it.

This should solve the problem and if so you can either leave the exported files where they are for the time being or delete them.

I'd suggest you print this first though
, Dave

keith

Gandhi
Site Supporter
Dave,

I have tried what you suggested and still get the same lines at the top of the page.IE 6 is now set up on my pc.

Keith.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hi Keith can you send me a screen shot of your Internet Explorer window?

With IE open on your desktop press the 'Alt' Key then 'Print Screen' Key.
Click Start>Programs>Accessories>Paint and when Paint is open click 'Edit' followed bt 'Paste'

Save the image as a file and then email it to me as an attachment.
Don't worry too much abou the file size from my end.

If you can do this I will have a better idea of the problem that you are looking at.

Cheers, Dave

keith

Gandhi
Site Supporter
Dave,

Done as requested cannot email robin as his address is unknown to me.

Keith.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hi Keith,

picture1.jpg

That is a strange one. Can you leave me with it and I'll see what I can do.
The File|Edit| etc bar should not be able to be switched off as you have it and by reloading the IE any changes would revert back to the default settings, so hmmmm

Regards, Dave

norm

hi ya
does your programme (windows) have a system restore (start/programms/accessories/system tools)
if it has could you not restore back to the date you can last remember it been ok

(just a thought it may not work like)

it isn`t the size of the tiddler that counts

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hi Keith,

Here we go.
I have had it suggested to me by the Tekkies that you need to remove Internet Explorer in it's entirety from your PC and they have suggested using this small program: http://www.litepc.com/ieradicator.html

Download it and run it. Once you have done so you wil then need to re-install Internet Explorer as a new install so again before you run the program make sure you have a version to hand.

Give it a go and all being well everything will be back to normal.

Regards, Dave

keith

Gandhi
Site Supporter
Dave,

Many thanks for sorting out the problem i have had for a couple of weeks now.The time and effort put in by you and your tekkies was greatly appreciated.
I do not know your personally but it goes to show the forums are a great way to make friends and help one another in times of need.The fishing generally comes second to the friendships made.
Can I also express thanks to Robin and Norm for there efforts in trying to help me.Again as is well in the house.

Regards Keith.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hi Keith you're more than welcome thumbsup.gif

Regards, Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.