Identification please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Team Man

Caught this yesterday, all of us couldn't honestly confirm what it was, it had a bottom jaw jutting forward like a Rudd but not quite so pronounced,it was about 13 to 14 inches long and weighed 1 1/2 pound

Unfortunatly the picture doesn't show the mouth very well to show the bottom jaw

2010428151840_1-Hybrid-27.4.10.jpg

Team Man

Never thought of the Ide, it certainly could be, Ive only ever seen small ones

Thanks

Team Man

We thought of the Roach/Rudd Hybrid, some dismissed it and said it looked more like a Rudd/Chub Hybrid, I think the Jury is still out on that one

bryanc

From the picture and description, this is identical to a fish of about 1lb, I caught a couple of weeks ago at a Northumbrian Water Resevoir.
I would be interested also in what MD'ers think it is as Northumbriam Water claim that all that is in the Resevoir are Roach, Dace, Perch, Gudgeon and a few Rainbow trout

Jmz

I would have said an Ide, apart from Ide are supposed to have larger eyes aren't they?

Bill G

Grandad
its a roach that sometime in its past had a noddy catch it a rip its top lip off.
hence a mouth that dosent look quite right.

Team Man

Ha Ha Ha, that won't wash Bill, the water was only opened up last year after being closed up for donkey's years, it was almost dried up at one point apparently.

Simon R

Site Supporter
An ide or possibly a roach/bream hybrid with rather a lot of roach in its parentage.

Dorsal fin is set too far back to be a true roach and the eyes aren't red enough either.

One thing it ISN'T is a rudd/chub hybrid - there's no such thing. Chub don't breed in stillwater and even if they did they spawn far earlier than rudd - plus they are too distantly related to produce viable offspring.

Simon

petert

Did its mouth look like a chub's if did it could be an Ide if not it is not an Ide

Team Man

Originally posted by petert

Did its mouth look like a chub's if did it could be an Ide if not it is not an Ide

Yes, the mouth did resemble that of a Chub.

I think the consensus of opinion is that it is an Ide

And yes Nohair, it is a nice fish, I look forward to catching some more, it's the first Ide I've had there, didn't know we had any in there

jayson69

we catch plenty of these on the rivers (and kanals) of Northern Germany, We call them Aland, English: Ide!

201042984829_aland.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.