IDE are predatory???

Status
Not open for further replies.

joe1987

'Darwener'
Is this true??? Thats what ive been told amnd that they can be caught on small livebaits. I always thought they were a relation of the roach or orfe or something. Very confusing!

Toodlepip
**Joe-boy**

Triturus

I think ide are just the wild coloration of golden orfe, and the golden orfe in my pond take small frogs off the top, so wouldn't suprise me that tehy would take small livebaits

Neil

esox.20

04/11/01 - 12/10/15
In Memoriam
All coarse fish fish are predatory. Obviously some more than others, but if theres a food source to be exploited they will.

chill out go fishing

Simon R

Site Supporter
I dunno whether they still do it (Martin will probably know) but at the UK pike champs there always used to be a prize for the biggest 'non-predatory' fish caught.

It was almost always won with a bream.

When you think about it whats the bait that everyone uses at carp fisheries - fishmeal - and what do you think thats made of?

Tight Lines

Simon

esox.20

04/11/01 - 12/10/15
In Memoriam
My reply was serious " all fish" are predatory to a degree.
If you have a fish tank or pond what happens to a dead fish thats left in? What happens in a tropical tank if any of the live bearers ie guppies have young? They get eaten. I dont suggest for a moment we target all fish with live or dead bait, but it could well be an under used method. I have a feeling that small dead baits may well take some carp waters apart if fished correctly. If there arent already a few anglers already doing so. Take chub, again they can be suckers for a dead bait as can barbel.
If a food source is available in sufficent quantity then it will be exploited.

chill out go fishing

Beebs

Hooked into a huge common carp on the Hampshire Avon a few weeks back fishing for pike with a whole deadbait mackerel.

The percher

Bolton 'till I die
i caught my personal best gudgeon on a full joey mackerel, jeeze they have big mouths for such small fish!
hehe
[}:)]The percher

martin.

Account Locked
hi simon
no they dont do that now but they have a seperate prize for zeds

tight lines.
martin.

talk fishing flip football

angler-mark

Chub love chunks of mackerel and I know of a few occasions when Carp have taken deadbaits so I think as has been mentioned, most fish are predatory. I've used live roach for Perch and had them taken by Chub. Pike also like worms too, I've hooked many fishing the Derwent while targeting Perch. I suppose if they are hungry enough, fish will eat anything that's in front of them. [:)]

Tight Lines

Mark

Chopper

Right, that's my match sorted at the weekend.

Gonna fish a piece of salmon steak over a bed of chopped haddock and liquidised sprat [:D][:D][:D]

Lee Saville - Colmic Team Ossett

Individual 2002 World Club Champion, Zagreb - Croatia.
Individual 2002 Angling Times North East Region Winter League Champion.
2001 Embassy Division 1 National Team Champions.

www.colmic.com

Roppa

I think everyone knows of the predatory instincts of Esox, Zeds, Perch and Chub. But if you fish deadbaits at Grafton Mere in Yorks, whilst waiting for a 'Cat' to take your bait you'll get plenty of runs from Carp. Also Loch Maben in Scotland used to be fished regularly with a black Mepps for the big Bream. As Esox20 says All fish are predatory, just some to a greater degree than others.

esox.20

04/11/01 - 12/10/15
In Memoriam
Thanks for your support roppa and from the few others. I was suprised that what appear to be experienced anglers dont believe this fact. Even as far back as the 50's there were reports coming from Holland of bream caught on live bait. The source of this information was the late Dick Walker.

chill out go fishing

Status
Not open for further replies.