Ice

muskrat

Havin' a Waggle
Site Supporter
We just spent a couple of nights in a well known golfing hotel and spa. It was pretty much as you'd expect. Good grub. Reasonable accommodation and mostly oriented for golfers. (I don't 'golf' btw)

Anyhoo, as I have done in many hotels in the past, I stopped by the bar to ask for some ice to take up to the room. After checking with his supervisor the barman apologetically explained that they are not allowed to give out ice for rooms, and that we would have to call room service. I thanked him and went up to the room.

I called room service and asked for some ice to be brought to our room. Then the thought suddenly struck me and I asked "Is there a charge for this?" The response was "Yes sir. £4.95 tray charge". My next two words were something vaguely meaning "forget it" and I slammed the phone down. Five quid for some ice ! They can stick it where it'll melt fast.

Well, my wife is less easily angered than I, so she called Room Service again and sweet-talked them into delivering the ice gratis, and leaving a note for the duty manager the next day so he would do the same. I was marginally less miffed. But I had ice for my whisky.

But I wonder how many would have simply accepted the charge (perhaps unknowingly) and just paid the 'extras' at the end of their stay.

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
Why would you want to put ice in whisky??

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
Some hotels charge for anything mate; I think they rely on you not going through your 'extras' bill when you check out. A mate of mine once got charged for two adult videos, which he hadn't watched and didn't realise he had been charged until he looked at his receipt to do his work expenses.