Ice Breakers

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Tbh, I love my fishing but I know when to draw the line (excuse the pun ;) )

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Years ago when I was young and stupid I'd think nothing of sitting there whilst frost built up on my fishing suit (one piece ski suit), or wiping rod rings with glycerene in a vain attempt at stopping them freezing up trapping the line.
Heck, I even fished Roundhay Park Lake in my youth - the water level had been dropped at the time to work on the dam wall, and we were fishing having broken the ice, covered in white frost, barely moving so not to break the ice on us, and watching swing tips waiting for that one solitary twitch, when the local copper came and gave us both a tap and told us to "gerrof 'ome ya daft sods" - apparently someone had called the 'parky' to report us lol

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
Site Supporter
got a spring leave that was supposed to start next week but looks like the whole league may be scrapped and i was looking forward to some ice fishing as not done it for years and brother has proper ice breaking kit.

The way the things are going it will be summer before match fishing is back in Essex

mike fox

'Just Me and the Fish'
Site Supporter
Yesterday I was coaching at both ends of the lake. At the top end the fella was having problems with line guides icing up in the freezing air although in the sunshine. At the lower end of the lake it was quite balmy and we could feel the warmth of the sun on our backs. Incredible difference in just 100yds.

Scribe

Official Supplier of Pork Pies to the Drowners
Site Supporter
Yesterday I was coaching at both ends of the lake. At the top end the fella was having problems with line guides icing up in the freezing air although in the sunshine. At the lower end of the lake it was quite balmy and we could feel the warmth of the sun on our backs. Incredible difference in just 100yds.
Have seen it rain on one side of the road I live on and yet stay dry on the other side, strangest thing. :)

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
In the 70's when I was fishing with Gren, we would be on the banks of the Trent in the depths of winter dressed in NCB Donkey Jackets, steel toe cap wellies and a flat cap. I didn't even have the advantage of the 'blubber' that I carry today, I was 10 stone odd then. Happy days.:cool:

Me and my lad

Site Supporter
Thought the lad how to do it. We got there in the end. No fishing but decided to open up a bit of the pond to stop gasses building up.

Attachments

• 20201231_121520.mp4
    31.6 MB · Views: 0

Davethefish

Site Supporter
In an emergency once used a half filled plastic petrol can and washing line which I keep in the boot of the car ( don't ask ! ). Worked a treat.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Dizzying heights of 8 degrees forecast here back half of next week. Cannot come soon enough as hasn’t cleared 4 degrees since before Christmas now 🥶

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
Don't do it much these days - but similar to others here
gloves
non-stretch rope
chain
selection of weights (lump hammer head up to 3kg bar-end)

cut two parallel lines - press down at the bankside to crack the far end - shove the broken piece under the ice-sheet to one side.
used to work a treat on canals ... and you wanted to stir up the bottom
once had 100 pound of carp on a (very prolific) club water doing it