Ice Breakers

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
F598A1B9-5A15-4963-9BD2-4F78693D5F1A.jpeg A 1lb weight for cat ice, a Class 158 scrubber block for thicker ice and not in picture, a Class 150 brake block as the ultimate breaker - if that doesn’t work, then a pub with real ale and a roaring fire is calling.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
If my Mrs gets in my motor with the hump, the temperatures usually drops rapidly too.....You are not alone!:love::devilish:
She gets the hump because I insist on listening to radio 4 Mark. 🤣🤣. In my defence there was something on about how animals can detect certain odours. I was hoping there was going to be something about fish and how they can detect certain smells. But, there wasn’t. 🙄

Total

Site Supporter
She gets the hump because I insist on listening to radio 4 Mark. 🤣🤣. In my defence there was something on about how animals can detect certain odours. I was hoping there was going to be something about fish and how they can detect certain smells. But, there wasn’t. 🙄

^^......I wondered if Mrs Tipit' had seen the table conversion! :love: ;):ROFLMAO:

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Put the fishing line on it and tell her you've been working on a single stringed sitar design!:love: :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
You’ll not be laughing when I give her your number. Not after I tell her it was you who thought it a good idea to drill her best dining room table 🤣🤣👍

rudd

Site Supporter
F598A1B9-5A15-4963-9BD2-4F78693D5F1A.jpeg A 1lb weight for cat ice, a Class 158 scrubber block for thicker ice and not in picture, a Class 150 brake block as the ultimate breaker - if that doesn’t work, then a pub with real ale and a roaring fire is calling.
one on right same as mine but I use a selection of sea fishing weights.
If its really cold same weights used in the sea 😉

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
We're getting to that time of year again - what do you use to break the ice?
This should have been on the thread tackle not invented,,,a lazer from star trek 🥰 ....im a softy id stay in bed with the central heating on

matti

Site Supporter
I use an old sash weight, cut it down weights about 3lb, a 4ft length of chain and maybe 15m of old 9mm climbing rope, can be a bit dodgy as if it gets snagged 9mm climbing rope can have a lot of stretch

Scribe

Official Supplier of Pork Pies to the Drowners
Site Supporter
I use an old sash weight, cut it down weights about 3lb, a 4ft length of chain and maybe 15m of old 9mm climbing rope, can be a bit dodgy as if it gets snagged 9mm climbing rope can have a lot of stretch
I have stretched a climbing rope once or twice. :D

drw

Site Supporter
Remember going to Bletchingdon on the Oxford canal 20 odd years ago and there were a couple of guys wandering around on the ice with a chainsaw cutting out holes for the next days match

mike fox

'Just Me and the Fish'
Site Supporter
I used one of these. Should have seen the looks I got from other anglers when I launched this out 20 yards. Cuts a brilliant channel to the fishing spot in one go.
1609622398346.png

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Back when I used to fish Junior Club matches on the canal I remember fishing a few where the ice needed breaking, including one on the canal under Spaghetti Junction, never did catch much and I think I remember the matches being called off early. But one of the adult runners used to break the ice with a breaker so I've never had need to do it myself, in fact, I've just checked and the two local fisheries I fish have said they are closed over the last few days due to the lakes being frozen, so no ice breaking.

Warden

Site Supporter
Remember going to Bletchingdon on the Oxford canal 20 odd years ago and there were a couple of guys wandering around on the ice with a chainsaw cutting out holes for the next days match
123.jpg 1234.jpg
Does not look it but the ice was about 4" thick cut quite a few holes out with chainsaw on the top one might just be able to see it a double figure Carp sat there looking at the sky lol.

drw

Site Supporter
Those lads don’t look very well dressed for the conditions ! I can’t go fishing unless it’s 8 degrees or higher these days due to bad circulation ☹️

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Those lads don’t look very well dressed for the conditions ! I can’t go fishing unless it’s 8 degrees or higher these days due to bad circulation ☹️
I don't tend to go in less than 8 degrees just down to wanting to be odds on of catching something 😅 Might be a while before we go again looking at the forecast 😬