Ice Breakers

Warden

Site Supporter
An old brake disc off a car length of chain tied to a thickish rope break the ice then saw (fashion) the ice with the chain,works a treat.

nejohn

Site Supporter
I used to use a steel fire bucket with a piece of chain and rope attached, put a stone in the bucket fist few chucks to break a hole then take the stone out and use the empty bucket as a sort of plough to clear the ice and collect it. But the only ice I break now is on the garden pond, getting to old for Eskimo fishing.
We did used to fish a stretch of the Tees with a gravel quarry on the opposite bank, it had a hot water wash and the outlet was straight into the river which left a run about 30m long of warm water so as well as being ice free it also attracted just about every fish in the stretch.... Those were the days

crackatoa

Site Supporter
Had to break the ice yesterday and today. Plastic Jerry Can on a rope did the job. Just put water in on the bank. Saves weight and doesn't stir up the bottom.

Silver fan 82

As @Silverfisher says its not really a common thing in the South. On occasion the lakes do freeze but if its that cold I'm going home. Love my fishing but I'm not that mad!

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
As @Silverfisher says its not really a common thing in the South. On occasion the lakes do freeze but if its that cold I'm going home. Love my fishing but I'm not that mad!
I can only recall a lake properly freezing once around here but even that had broken up into ice berg like sheets by the arrival. Was at least 12 maybe 15 years ago though and I've never seen more than the odd bit of ice in the margins of anywhere ever since that I recall.

Silver fan 82

I can only recall a lake properly freezing once around here but even that had broken up into ice berg like sheets by the arrival. Was at least 12 maybe 15 years ago though and I've never seen more than the odd bit of ice in the margins of anywhere ever since that I recall.
Yeah same here mate. Was a few years back though. Was fishing a local commercial but managed to find a corner of a lake that hadn't frozen over.

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
Clattercote freezes up solid sometimes

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Clattercote freezes up solid sometimes
Blimey you wouldn’t think that for a water that size! Maybe 20 odd miles north and a bit of elevation can make more difference than you’d think. The one place I’ve seen freeze here is just a pond really rather than a lake.

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
Blimey you wouldn’t think that for a water that size! Maybe 20 odd miles north and a bit of elevation can make more difference than you’d think. The one place I’ve seen freeze here is just a pond really rather than a lake.
Is your pond frozen yet ??