I was in Contract

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
I have been a customer of TalkTalk for nearly 3 years but the last few months have been a real pain. My modem is faulty, it keeps cutting out and losing connection. I have to turn it off wait a few minutes and restart to get my internet back. Trying to explain this to their off shore faults department is impossible. Even the CEOs office have let me down this time, so I was trying to find a way of getting out of my contract which ends in November of this year. (My original contract was extended for the same price)

Well thankfully Talktalk themselves have offered me the chance to get rid and I actually save some money and get a reward card!!!

The following is taken from an email I received this evening:

From 25th April 2021, your terms and conditions will change so that each year your monthly cost will be increased according to the Consumer Price Index (CPI) rate of inflation, plus an additional 3.7%. The first of these increases won’t be until April 2022, meaning that there’ll be no increase to your price this year. This will then occur every April moving forward. There will then also be an early termination charge if you cancel your broadband within your minimum contracted term. Click here to find out more. To see your full terms and conditions, click here.
Thanks for being a loyal TalkTalk customer. We hope you don’t, but you have the choice to leave us until 25th April 2021 without any early termination charges. Click here for more information.

I am very grateful for Talktalk doing something to help me!!! Giving Plusnet a try as my neighbour said they have been good for them and it only took 5 minutes to arrange change of service. 10 days until changeover!!!!

Yosemite Sam

Site Supporter
I was with Talk Talk a number of years ago with my business. They were an absolute shower of s**t, I would never have anything to do with them again even if they were free. Good luck with your new provider.

rd115

плак-плак
Site Supporter
I have been a customer of TalkTalk for nearly 3 years but the last few months have been a real pain. My modem is faulty, it keeps cutting out and losing connection. I have to turn it off wait a few minutes and restart to get my internet back. Trying to explain this to their off shore faults department is impossible. Even the CEOs office have let me down this time, so I was trying to find a way of getting out of my contract which ends in November of this year. (My original contract was extended for the same price)

Well thankfully Talktalk themselves have offered me the chance to get rid and I actually save some money and get a reward card!!!

The following is taken from an email I received this evening:

From 25th April 2021, your terms and conditions will change so that each year your monthly cost will be increased according to the Consumer Price Index (CPI) rate of inflation, plus an additional 3.7%. The first of these increases won’t be until April 2022, meaning that there’ll be no increase to your price this year. This will then occur every April moving forward. There will then also be an early termination charge if you cancel your broadband within your minimum contracted term. Click here to find out more. To see your full terms and conditions, click here.
Thanks for being a loyal TalkTalk customer. We hope you don’t, but you have the choice to leave us until 25th April 2021 without any early termination charges. Click here for more information.

I am very grateful for Talktalk doing something to help me!!! Giving Plusnet a try as my neighbour said they have been good for them and it only took 5 minutes to arrange change of service. 10 days until changeover!!!!

Keep an eye on your speeds with plusnet, they're notorious for overselling their service resulting in garbage speeds. You'll complain for 2 weeks and they'll seem to have done something about it only for the speed to creep ever downward again.

You're better off sticking with the big 2, BT or Virgin. Expensive but the best providers in my experience.

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Cannot get Virgin, they have cabled the whole area apart from our complex of 28 bungalows. Apparently pensioners do not need the Internet.

I get 16 mbs download with talktalk, it should be the same with plus net and any other provider.

Truly

Site Supporter
I have been with Plusnet for several years and experienced very good service. Read your new contract carefully and you will see that they have scheduled above inflation price increases in too. This seems to be a trend aimed at getting round the consumer's right to leave without penalty consequent upon a price increase.

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
Been with BT from the get go. No issues and a free upgrade to their guaranteed service recently. Probably not the cheapest but you get what you pay for ;)

Truly

Site Supporter
Been with BT from the get go. No issues and a free upgrade to their guaranteed service recently. Probably not the cheapest but you get what you pay for ;)
Glad you get on well with BT Neil (y) . They ripped me off for £60 a few years ago, so I moved to Plusnet. Then BT bought Plusnet ! Can't win 'em all :rolleyes:

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
I was with Talk Talk for a number of years, I was paying next to nothing for broadband and telephone, I was on a family plan due to one of my sons being a manager at their base in warrington. Any problems and I contacted him and he sorted it through their IT dept their.
He had to go over to India and check the call centre over and oversee a couple of things, He said Chennai where the main town/city has a lot of uk manufacturing and other business interests was an eye opener, but the outskirts where call centres are was totally different.

Arfer Mo

Site Supporter
I've been with Plusnet for about ten years now and have just been on the phone talking about renewing my contract. They informed me that they are no longer able to offer the BT sports package which I have to watch the Motogp and Rugby. So I've got to see what I can sort out whether this means just getting the BT app onto my TV or changing to BT.

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Received an email this morning from Talktalk telling me I would have to pay £77 to get out of my contract. Email sent to the CEOs office asking them what the hell they are up to and I get a call this afternoon from Emma in the CEO complaint department apologising for the email giving me the wrong information. There will be no termination charge.

I wait to see what will happen, they have sent me a bill for 25/3 to 25/4, but I have cancelled the DD as I know if I overpay it will be hard getting my money back. Change over date is 13th April.

Chris Calder

Site Supporter
I changed to plusnet about three years ago from Bt, very good customer service from Plusnet, cheaper service and they pick up the phone within a few minutes most of the time, I would never go back to BT, their customer service is terrible.
I get between 40 mb and 50 mb download speed, all depending what time of day

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
They are all as bad as one another..... Mrs Maesknoll rang up Virgin to have a moan about how much we pay, they agreed a new price, then a month later cut off sky sports. She rang back, saying that they say they record calls, so asked them to listen to it, she had never agreed to the price cut with a reduction in service, they said yes OK, and agreed a new pice with sky and an upgrade to 200mb interweb. All good, until an email arrives saying new price would be £27 a month more than just agreed on phone.....

By now, Mrs M is not best pleased, rang them back and they agreed they would have to stick to the price agreed, as the rep had put it in the account notes. Still waiting for written confirmation. Virgin reliability is great, their customer service not so..... still can’t leave really, as I don’t have a BT line and if I did it’s only the copper lines, so the broadband is too slow for work etc.

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Trick with calling customer services is to call from your mobile and record the call. I have done with Talktalk. I did play one call back to an agent from the CEOs office and he had to admit how bad the overseas agent was. He did tell me I should have informed the agent I was recording them as he then would have had the choice to not take the call.

You can always get copies of notes made on your account. Once they have been entered onto the account they cannot be deleted.