I stink (least the wife thinks so!)

GeeTee

What do you wear?

I usually put @ny old work gear on and go out for a few hours fishing. The problem is I come home and the wife grumbles about the stink of fish and bait on me.

ive noticed a lot of people have sallopettes or over trousers. Are these any good. I have some very thick winter ones but you couldn’t wear them until it’s really cold. Can you get anything on a similar line for summer?

what could I wear that I could take off after the session and be something like respectabl?

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I just wear what I suppose you’d call old exercise clothes eg trackies, hoodies, t shirts etc. I do often stink when I get home but my clothes go straight in the wash basket and I go straight in the shower and the touched bits of the car get a bit of a wipe down and it’s problem solved.

The Landlord

Site Supporter
I used to keep a couple of old pairs of jeans for fishing but these days, because I'm catching bigger fish & thus holding the landing net between my thighs, I've invested in a pair of waterproof overtrousers. Only about £15 from local camping & outdoor shops.

RedRidingHood

Site Supporter
Grab yourself a pair of Waders, £20 on eBay. Get the missus to give you a quick spraydown with the hose when your back and you'll come out smelling just as fresh as you did when you left. Gets a bit hot during the Summer mind - But I doubt we'll be seeing much more of the sun this year haha.

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
A bib and brace, if you want the best, it’s Halkon Hunt, but they aren’t cheap, I’m sure there will be many different makes out there at varying price points to suit what you have to spend.

squimp

Site Supporter
I sympathise.

i have a bad habit of wiping fish slime and ground bait etc onto my trousers - so I come home looking filthy and stinking.

There are solutions; one is to wear an outer layer as mentioned and ‘leave’ the dirt on that.

if you watch one of Mark Wintle’s stick float videos , he hangs a towel from his belt which is a simple solution.

Halkon Hunt who make the best waterproofs sell a ‘waterproof towelling apron’ which absorbs the ‘rubbish’ and protects your fancy goretex......

So I need to change my approach too.

on a slightly different tack, many years ago I made a few mixes of carp bait one weekend using a pungent flavour called ‘meatball’. I went into work on Monday morning and was promptly thrown out of my shared office by my work partner because of the smell on my hands ! I had to work in a corner of the university library for 3 days until she said the smell had worn off !

ATTICUS FINCH

I am a smelly bugger after a fishing session ,I wear jogging bottoms and my hands get wiped on them if I'm really bagging ,but I do have a towel that could probably be a help towards germ warfare as it doesent see the washer very often ,maybe once a season
When I get home it's strip off and in the shower ,clothes in the washer and ready for the next trip out

chubby chubber

Site Supporter
I sympathise.

i have a bad habit of wiping fish slime and ground bait etc onto my trousers - so I come home looking filthy and stinking.

There are solutions; one is to wear an outer layer as mentioned and ‘leave’ the dirt on that.

if you watch one of Mark Wintle’s stick float videos , he hangs a towel from his belt which is a simple solution.

Halkon Hunt who make the best waterproofs sell a ‘waterproof towelling apron’ which absorbs the ‘rubbish’ and protects your fancy goretex......

So I need to change my approach too.

on a slightly different tack, many years ago I made a few mixes of carp bait one weekend using a pungent flavour called ‘meatball’. I went into work on Monday morning and was promptly thrown out of my shared office by my work partner because of the smell on my hands ! I had to work in a corner of the university library for 3 days until she said the smell had worn off !
the old halkon hunt towel aprons are brilliant keeps the gortex in top notch but you can get cheaper versions that cover most of the area between knees n thighs when your sat on ya box the biggest ive found is the bait tech towel been spot on then you just sling em washer when they need it

GeeTee

Cheers everyone, I’m going to get a bib and brace. I have a Preston Celsius one. Great but hot!

id never heard of or seen the towel aprons before. I’m going to get on too.

Trip to fishing shop on cards. That’ll teach her not to nag😀😀

rudd

Site Supporter
the old halkon hunt towel aprons are brilliant keeps the gortex in top notch but you can get cheaper versions that cover most of the area between knees n thighs when your sat on ya box the biggest ive found is the bait tech towel been spot on then you just sling em washer when they need it
I have a pair of them so if one being washed or wet always have the other.

Clothing wise, two pairs of diem joggers, again always have at least one pair av if other being washec or dried.

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
I wear a Lidl bib and brace in the warmer months , about a tenner and they are tan and black in colour, got 2 pairs one clean ready to use and one in the wash.
Also use a bar towel leg wrap . If you know somebody who has a sewing machine it only takes minutes, wide elastic and Velcro, saves getting your winter gear filthy. 15992109236526847506145181337921.jpg
Or buy a Drennan waist tie towel, quick release. 15992110791008885545235172355681.jpg

Neskin

I wear a Lidl bib and brace in the warmer months , about a tenner and they are tan and black in colour, got 2 pairs one clean ready to use and one in the wash.
Also use a bar towel leg wrap . If you know somebody who has a sewing machine it only takes minutes, wide elastic and Velcro, saves getting your winter gear filthy.
Or buy a Drennan waist tie towel, quick release.
The lidl bib and brace was a bargain, im on my 3rd season with mine now. Will buy another one when they next do them as a spare.

Decathlon do a good range of waterproof clothing, cheap too. Usually just wear a pair of their lightweight trousers then when i get to wherever im going chuck the bib and brace on ,keeps me relatively clean.

The Landlord

Site Supporter
The lidl bib and brace was a bargain, im on my 3rd season with mine now. Will buy another one when they next do them as a spare.

Decathlon do a good range of waterproof clothing, cheap too. Usually just wear a pair of their lightweight trousers then when i get to wherever im going chuck the bib and brace on ,keeps me relatively clean.
Haven't seen them, how much are they mate?

Neskin

Haven't seen them, how much are they mate?
I think they were about £20, well insulated so theyre for winter fishing really.

As i said theyve lasted me 3 winters of piking/perching/chubbing scrambling through bushes and the like. Really worth the money.

They occasionally do sales on fishing stuff, got some thermals and jogging bottoms from there too. Cant really argue at the price theyre selling them. Keep an eye out on their website as theyll usually announce when stuff is going to be sold.

stephenk

Site Supporter
19 quid for 2 towels !
Just get asda cheap hand towels for £2
they even do orange ones.....

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
Cheers everyone, I’m going to get a bib and brace. I have a Preston Celsius one. Great but hot!

id never heard of or seen the towel aprons before. I’m going to get on too.

Trip to fishing shop on cards. That’ll teach her not to nag😀😀
Save your money on branded towel aprons. Go to the market and get a couple of cheap bath towels, and then to haberdashery stall for tape to sew on and use to tie towel around waist, Cheap n cheerful and does the job, Or scrounge a couple of beer towels off the bar of local pub, tape in the 4 corners and tie around top of leg to wipe groundbai of hands