I pulled the trigger, Barbel time.

HALTON DANGLER

Smashing resources thank you.

Being from Manchester my primary stomping grounds are going to be around waters such as the Dane and the Dee, I think these look most promising relative to proximity, and possibly trying to get some results out of the Weaver, the Goyt, and possibly the Bollin.

But I'll definitely be making trips for big days on the likes of the Trent and Severn.

hi mate,its not for me advise anyone where to fish but,apart from maybe the goyt the rivers you mention are either having huge issues with otters or mega low stock barbel venues. My advice would be to make the effort to go up to the ribble or if you can down to the severn or wye.

what are my reasons for saying this? well confidence in your set up and plan is essential on low stock venues you need to know what you are doing will work and that confidence only comes with experience and the better stocked rivers like the severn,ribble and wye will give you numbers of barbel under your belt to build that confidence in rigs,set up and bait approach.

just my thoughts mate and thought would share them, if you choose the ones on post then best of luck and hope you manage to get one as it will be more than worth the effort.

DontKillZander

Site Supporter
hi mate,its not for me advise anyone where to fish but,apart from maybe the goyt the rivers you mention are either having huge issues with otters or mega low stock barbel venues. My advice would be to make the effort to go up to the ribble or if you can down to the severn or wye.

what are my reasons for saying this? well confidence in your set up and plan is essential on low stock venues you need to know what you are doing will work and that confidence only comes with experience and the better stocked rivers like the severn,ribble and wye will give you numbers of barbel under your belt to build that confidence in rigs,set up and bait approach.

just my thoughts mate and thought would share them, if you choose the ones on post then best of luck and hope you manage to get one as it will be more than worth the effort.
Hi Dan, good to hear from you
Ive already figured that mate, when I’d finished putting thought into the setup and started to research venues - I realised that the northwest options were not looking promising.

What you just said aligns absolutely spot on with my research, Ribble / Severn / Wye / Trent, with the Goyt having a hint of potential.
Fully aware which is why I’ve put it off until next season, I’ve got the gear now - I’m going to carry on enjoying my Perch this winter, hopefully have a good Pike season - then start getting up the Ribble, down to the Severn, and over to the Trent next season.

Thanks for input and advice, always particularly appreciated from yourself.

That reminds me, I’ve got 2 weeks of vlog to catch up on, fell behind I’m working my t!ts off atm.

Rick123

Site Supporter
Each to their own....I caught enough Barbel to keep me happy....but then I only fished for them when conditions were right.

You could say a one trick pony then? Just funning. If the guy is after a Trent barbel rod, then I would have suggested a 2.25 t/c. But he is where it is now, time will tell. I'm sure he will adapt as we all do with our gear. I had two Daiwa Infinity barbel rods and they were ideal in the 2.25 cast big leads but good for smaller fish even big chub. Had some good fish on them too, but I only trot for them nowadays, it just suits my style. Fish below taken on a lead and 2.25lb rod, only 12lb 14oz so just a small one really.

Attachments

• IMGP0132.JPG
    IMGP0132.JPG
    439.7 KB · Views: 4

Flathead

Site Supporter
You could say a one trick pony then? Just funning. If the guy is after a Trent barbel rod, then I would have suggested a 2.25 t/c. But he is where it is now, time will tell. I'm sure he will adapt as we all do with our gear. I had two Daiwa Infinity barbel rods and they were ideal in the 2.25 cast big leads but good for smaller fish even big chub. Had some good fish on them too, but I only trot for them nowadays, it just suits my style. Fish below taken on a lead and 2.25lb rod, only 12lb 14oz so just a small one really.
Maybe a ‘one trick pony’ but I caught hundreds of Barbel out of the Trent, Derwent and Dove(y) including many multiple catches.....and never used more that a 2oz. Lead either....usually much less.

......and very rarely blanked:)

Rick123

Site Supporter

Danny is right, confidence if huge in fishing. I'm guilty like many fishing for big fish in places they just don't exist, big roach for example. The Trent does have big roach but they are isolated I'm beginning to learn. I need to get on the tidal, but its a daunting thought for me as I'm not so good on my legs as I once was? The Swale use to be my go to river for barbel in the 70s 80s small fish 5lb or so, my mate Dave Plummer had a double back then. Maybe Danny can advise about the Swale, it's a manageable river to fish I think, ask him?

Rick123

Site Supporter
Maybe a ‘one trick pony’ but I caught hundreds of Barbel out of the Trent, Derwent and Dove(y) including many multiple catches.....and never used more that a 2oz. Lead either....usually much less.

......and very rarely blanked:)

What are you after a medal? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Or forum favour maybe?;);) Are you saying it's cleaver to use under 2oz, don't really get what you want praise for?(y)(n)(y):unsure:

Flathead

Site Supporter
What are you after a medal? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Or forum favour maybe?;);)
No simply making the point that Barbel are easy to catch if you know where they are likely to be and when they are likely to feed.

Sitting it out ‘carbelling’ when conditions are wrong, or in the wrong place, is a waste of time when there are plenty of other fish to catch.

Rick123

Site Supporter
Evening Squire,

We are in the same club I have ordered a pair of Korum 12 Ft 2 Lb Barbel rods for the Trent around Newark.

I can recommend you read / watch these tutorials as they are excellent and written by guys with many years barbel fishing experience.

Barbel Fishing Starting Out

Barbel Fishing Continuing the Journey

And watch the following VLOG

Barbel Fishing Basics

They are a mine of information

Would also recommend putting a post on the 'Fish Ins' section to see if you can go for a day with someone used to fishing for barbel on the tidal Trent.

Good luck in your quest.

There are some good You-Tube barbel videos, all can be adapted to suit your rivers.

Flathead

Site Supporter
What are you after a medal? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Or forum favour maybe?;);) Are you saying it's cleaver to use under 2oz, don't really get what you want praise for?(y)(n)(y):unsure:
I’m not after praise...why would I be?

But I fished the Trent for over 40years and learned a little bit about it.

If you want to carry on blanking....fill yer boots:ROFLMAO: