I pulled the trigger, Barbel time.

DontKillZander

Site Supporter
x2 Daiwa Black Widow Twin Tips (12ft - 1.75lb) on the way, I watched a video (I bought into the marketing) of a guy coping pretty well on the tidal trent with these rods and for the price, and Daiwa... I was sold.
I won't be doing a lot of tidal trent fishing, but knowing that I "could" with these rods - at a push, is nice to know.

I think I'm probably gonna go Daiwa Black Widow for the rest of the set up now, considering it's all from scratch, most importantly I need to find a Daiwa Black Window 3 rod pod, stock seems scarce at the moment, I'm hunting for that £60 sale price, would be very happy with that.

1 thing I'm debating with myself is reel selection, I've got a Shimano Baitrunner ST RB 6000 sitting around. I'm not sure if I should just get another one of these or not -
I'm thinking if I pick up a couple of deadbait rods for the winter then these will come in handy -
But I'm half tempted by 4000 size Shimano Baitrunners with the front drag, which will be a bit less useful for that deadbait setup I've got in mind for the future... decisions decisions, there's also the Daiwa Black Widow BR 5000, designed specifically for these rods.

Anyway, I'm well and truly in the process of preparing to get into some Barbel...
What are your bank side must-haves?
What's your favourite bait?
What's your favourite rig?
What's your take on optimal reels?

I'm excited!!!

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
x2 Daiwa Black Widow Twin Tips (12ft - 1.75lb) on the way, I watched a video (I bought into the marketing) of a guy coping pretty well on the tidal trent with these rods and for the price, and Daiwa... I was sold.
I won't be doing a lot of tidal trent fishing, but knowing that I "could" with these rods - at a push, is nice to know.

I think I'm probably gonna go Daiwa Black Widow for the rest of the set up now, considering it's all from scratch, most importantly I need to find a Daiwa Black Window 3 rod pod, stock seems scarce at the moment, I'm hunting for that £60 sale price, would be very happy with that.

1 thing I'm debating with myself is reel selection, I've got a Shimano Baitrunner ST RB 6000 sitting around. I'm not sure if I should just get another one of these or not -
I'm thinking if I pick up a couple of deadbait rods for the winter then these will come in handy -
But I'm half tempted by 4000 size Shimano Baitrunners with the front drag, which will be a bit less useful for that deadbait setup I've got in mind for the future... decisions decisions, there's also the Daiwa Black Widow BR 5000, designed specifically for these rods.

Anyway, I'm well and truly in the process of preparing to get into some Barbel...
What are your bank side must-haves?
What's your favourite bait?
What's your favourite rig?
What's your take on optimal reels?

I'm excited!!!
You sound as excited as Scribe. Has he told you about the Barbel he caught yet ? ??. Unhooking mat. Don't forget to buy a good quality mat if you havent got one. Fish safety ? I like my old Shimano 8010 bait runners for Barbel fishing. They haven't half had some stick now. Bait wise ... Sweet corn, source boilies, Sticky Krill boilies and good old casters for hookbait. You'll get one if you put the time and effort in. Ask Arch. ??

Scribe

Official Supplier of Pork Pies to the Drowners
Site Supporter
Evening Squire,

We are in the same club I have ordered a pair of Korum 12 Ft 2 Lb Barbel rods for the Trent around Newark.

I can recommend you read / watch these tutorials as they are excellent and written by guys with many years barbel fishing experience.

Barbel Fishing Starting Out

Barbel Fishing Continuing the Journey

And watch the following VLOG

Barbel Fishing Basics

They are a mine of information

Would also recommend putting a post on the 'Fish Ins' section to see if you can go for a day with someone used to fishing for barbel on the tidal Trent.

Good luck in your quest.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I was in the same boat around this time last year. I went with just an old feeder rod and small reel and had a great session with 9 fish on my second time out. I would not recommend going without suitable tackle for fish safety but I would recommend just going once you get set up and with the advice on here as it is great fun. Now I have a pair of Korum Barbel Rods and Shimano Baitrunners and feel more equipped to do it properly.

DontKillZander

Site Supporter
Evening Squire,

We are in the same club I have ordered a pair of Korum 12 Ft 2 Lb Barbel rods for the Trent around Newark.

I can recommend you read / watch these tutorials as they are excellent and written by guys with many years barbel fishing experience.

Barbel Fishing Starting Out

Barbel Fishing Continuing the Journey

And watch the following VLOG

Barbel Fishing Basics

They are a mine of information

Would also recommend putting a post on the 'Fish Ins' section to see if you can go for a day with someone used to fishing for barbel on the tidal Trent.

Good luck in your quest.

Smashing resources thank you.

Being from Manchester my primary stomping grounds are going to be around waters such as the Dane and the Dee, I think these look most promising relative to proximity, and possibly trying to get some results out of the Weaver, the Goyt, and possibly the Bollin.

But I'll definitely be making trips for big days on the likes of the Trent and Severn.

Arch

Site Supporter
You sound as excited as Scribe. Has he told you about the Barbel he caught yet ? ??. Unhooking mat. Don't forget to buy a good quality mat if you havent got one. Fish safety ? I like my old Shimano 8010 bait runners for Barbel fishing. They haven't half had some stick now. Bait wise ... Sweet corn, source boilies, Sticky Krill boilies and good old casters for hookbait. You'll get one if you put the time and effort in. Ask Arch. ??

FOOK OFF!!

:LOL::LOL:

DontKillZander

Site Supporter
Just pulled the trigger on another Shimano ST RB 6000 to go with the one I already had, figured I'd give the 6000's a go first, if they feel too heavy I'll resign them to future deadbait setups and acquire some 4000 baitrunners for the barbel rods.

Found the Daiwa Black Widow 3 rod pod for £85, they're scarce right now it seems so grabbed it, along with a Black Widow Quiver holdall and unhooking mat, matchy matchy.

Rick123

Site Supporter
I fear 1.75 maybe a bit light for the tidal Trent. Hope I'm wrong but the lads use 8/10oz of lead. Not something you can l even lob on a 1.75lb rod. Around Newark 2lb should be ideal. Others will comment I'm sure, like I say hope I'm wrong for you buddy.

Flathead

Site Supporter
I fear 1.75 maybe a bit light for the tidal Trent. Hope I'm wrong but the lads use 8/10oz of lead. Not something you can l even lob on a 1.75lb rod. Around Newark 2lb should be ideal. Others will comment I'm sure, like I say hope I'm wrong for you buddy.
I used to use a 1.75 rod on the tidal Trent.

Big leads are not really necessary.....there are plenty of fish to be caught under the near bank.

It has become fashionable to chuck big leads and use high TC rods (carbelling) but, like in Carp fishing, not really necessary

rd115

Non-catcher of Barbel
Site Supporter
I think the 13ft 2.5lb Korum barbel rods might have been a better bet for casting weight, they are rated 8oz but you'll easily squeeze a couple or 3oz more for a gentle lob rather than a cast.

Rick123

Site Supporter
If
I used to use a 1.75 rod on the tidal Trent.

Big leads are not really necessary.....there are plenty of fish to be caught under the near bank.

It has become fashionable to chuck big leads and use high TC rods (carbelling) but, like in Carp fishing, not really necessary
If you read my blog you will find i say that all the time, even this last week I mentioned it. However not having that ability at times does not help a barbel angler. The fish are not always under your bank, you need a rod that is capable, not under-Gunned. I guarantee if you have rod that is not capable to cast big leads to the other side, you will need to some time.

Flathead

Site Supporter
Each to their own....I caught enough Barbel to keep me happy....but then I only fished for them when conditions were right.

Northantslad

'Any indications?
Loving your enthusiasm.
6000 shimano fine imo. Careful on letting the seasons dictate your rod selection, its more the flow (river level) and where you are casting-needing to cast really. For example we have had some serious water in the last 3 years, yet my 2.2lb tops sit gathering dust in that time as i am currently targeting Trent stretches where a big chuck isn't needed, less so when there is water on. Unless going across (i stress if needing to again) 1.75s will do you fine.

Did a section in my guide on other kit requirements, feel free to take a look. (y)

PureGenius

Dont stick to the Daiwa rod pod, check this out... myself and a mate just got 1 each (although as a yorkshire man it nigh on killed me paying nearly 60 quid for a rod rest) solid bit of kit, although one thing I am going to change is adding a thin nut to the threads rather than the rubber o rings to tighten up alarms and t bars to the frame... in stock too :)

Korum Deluxe River Tripod

BlueKoi

I just hit the Pay button on the Korum tripod. Have been looking at them this week and was debating over this and the compact one. Took the plunge and went for the deluxe :)

rd115

Non-catcher of Barbel
Site Supporter
I just hit the Pay button on the Korum tripod. Have been looking at them this week and was debating over this and the compact one. Took the plunge and went for the deluxe :)

The deluxe can be fairly compact too if you don't extend the legs, definitely the better purchase ?

DontKillZander

Site Supporter
Dont stick to the Daiwa rod pod, check this out... myself and a mate just got 1 each (although as a yorkshire man it nigh on killed me paying nearly 60 quid for a rod rest) solid bit of kit, although one thing I am going to change is adding a thin nut to the threads rather than the rubber o rings to tighten up alarms and t bars to the frame... in stock too :)

That’s exactly what I ended up going with in the end.

rudd

Site Supporter

The best way to lock alarms etc on bars and pods is to use leather with a hole drilled through? or buy some of these Gardner Tackle Leather Lock Washers 2 per pack Carp Coarse Fishing | eBay

rudd

Site Supporter

Price On par with sea fishing tripods, I use one of these on beach and have added a camera tripod weight bucket/bag to put stones in to weight down or accessories such as knife, bait elastic, rag and bait.