I need some help with test curves/rods to buy

solwood

Site Supporter
Personal preference plays a part here

I prefer low TC rods.

Most of the time I use very soft 10ft 2.5tc tfg Compact carp rods, even for the catfish at anglers

The scopes sound like perfect small water carp rods, what you described is a small water.

I never fish more than 2oz lead *club rule on lake I fish, don't do solid bag work

If i wanted to cast solid bags I would use a longer 2.75 tc rod

If you buy the 2.25 you know the limitations, do you use solid bags if not there is no issue imo

Playing fish on lighter rods is much more pleasurable and bearing mind I would happily fish near snags for 20lb carp on a margin pole !

JLK

I assume the Sonik Insurgent and the Daiwa Crosscast EXT are the ones you are talking about. The weave looks similar on the Sonik and Daiwa 9ft but looks different on the ESP.
They do all look to have a similar appearance in the blank design though, if these are the ones you are referring to.

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
The overall design/build is the same, there is a difference in the carbon (using Nash Scopes and Dwarfs as the example) the Nash Dwarfs have a higher resin content, whereas the Scopes have less resin and are a bit lighter and have higher quality furniture... ( I've used both) I have to say that I felt the dearer Scope to feel nice and light, but less robust than the Dwarf, I also didn't feel that the Scope was worth the extra costs (£150 in some shops) so I went with the Dwarfs... mine are the Mk2... I had the Mk1's and loved em but I sold them on when the Mk2's came out with the better rings and reel fittings...

Most of the tele type rods are just variations on the Nash concept, they work well, & they're not for everyone, but their portability is a huge advantage for a cheeky session...

TiggerXFM

I only got the 10ft 2.25 test scope for hit and hold swims when trotting or touch legering, but when those swims didn't produce I have just used it as I would my normal float rods on other swims. As mad as it sounds it worked fine and I was catching small dace to trout, to decent sized chub. Never bumped anything off at all. As has just been mentioned the rod is quite light, and being 10ft long sort of makes weight less noticeable. I do like it, and am looking forward to using it on still waters for carp during the closed river season, and then for the snaggy short range hit and hold swims on the river when it opens back up.
I think this was the first carp I got with it last year, or maybe 2020, can't remember lol....

IMG-0796.jpg

I know I liked the action it has when under pressure.

RMNDIL

Site Supporter
Read what I said..."I think" I didn't say definitely, read what's written before jumping in with both feet
Yes, you said think. But that is starting or perpetuating a rumour. It's not fact so I corrected it. As I pointed out ESP are NOT copies of other models. They are NOT the same.

I even called the factory (yes, they will take my calls on a Sunday) to double check my facts and they are NOT made in the same factory.

Arry

Site Supporter
So then... how do you account for the fact the the Sonik, the Nash, the Daiwa, and the ESP retractable rod blanks and design are identical...???
Butt section with retractable middle and separate tip section, either cork butt or slimline, sound familiar ...??? I've used Dwarf, Scope and Sonik... ( my young apprentice has Extractors or Extricators or whatever they call em) other than rings, reel seats and graphics they are IDENTICAL...

RMNDIL

Site Supporter
Really easily.

3pc float rods are not all the same but have a 3pc construction. Just because some float rods are same length and same number of sections doesn't make them the same thing and doesn't mean they are made in the same factory....

All feeder rods with push-in tips are not all the same even though they have push-in tips.

All rear drag reels are not all the same even though they have rear drags

All front drag reels are not all the same even though they have front drags

The list goes on and on. A mini has 4 wheels and so does a Porsche.

You stated ‘…..be aware Daiwa, Sonik and I think ESP also have short rods out, they are all built by the same firm and rebadged, the design of the blanks are identical…’ - which considering what you have said above tells me and everyone else reading this that you are just guessing........incorrectly. The factory for relevant ESP models doesn't make for Daiwa or Sonik. Daiwa, Sonik & Nash Scope may well be 'Identical' as you say ( I very much doubt it anyway) but I know ESP are not.

Goodness. How many fishing rod factories do you think there are ????

It's like some who believe that there is one big fishing tackle factory in China.

ALLROUND TRYER

I have a pair of these in 10ft 3lb test.. if you shop around you can get a set of three for less than a 100 pounds.
had some half decent cats on them in the summer and they performed well.

Arry

Site Supporter
Chub also made some 10' stalking rods, 2pc which were very good, I think Harrison doe some short rods too although you'll need to up your budget

Arry

Site Supporter
Really easily.

3pc float rods are not all the same but have a 3pc construction. Just because some float rods are same length and same number of sections doesn't make them the same thing and doesn't mean they are made in the same factory....

All feeder rods with push-in tips are not all the same even though they have push-in tips.

All rear drag reels are not all the same even though they have rear drags

All front drag reels are not all the same even though they have front drags

The list goes on and on. A mini has 4 wheels and so does a Porsche.

You stated ‘…..be aware Daiwa, Sonik and I think ESP also have short rods out, they are all built by the same firm and rebadged, the design of the blanks are identical…’ - which considering what you have said above tells me and everyone else reading this that you are just guessing........incorrectly. The factory for relevant ESP models doesn't make for Daiwa or Sonik. Daiwa, Sonik & Nash Scope may well be 'Identical' as you say ( I very much doubt it anyway) but I know ESP are not.

Goodness. How many fishing rod factories do you think there are ????

It's like some who believe that there is one big fishing tackle factory in China.
You carry on believing that fellah, we're done

Arry

Site Supporter
I have a pair of these in 10ft 3lb test.. if you shop around you can get a set of three for less than a 100 pounds.
had some half decent cats on them in the summer and they performed well.
The short rod craze seems to have taken off in a big way over the last few years, its the portability thats the attraction and the casting accuracy...

That said... the early carp rods were 10 footersor less... the original MkIV was 10' 2"

JLK

You carry on believing that fellah, we're done
You do know of the Mick the chippy thread where he was playing table tennis with Mr Ringer ?
I think a similar thing is happening here with you and RMDIL 😉😂