I need some help with test curves/rods to buy

BrownManX

I've recently decided to purchase a setup after selling my old one over half a decade ago and i am completely lost in the rod area.

The two rods i'm looking at are nash scope and nash dwarf, both in 9ft. But when it comes to test curves i'm not sure what i should go for. I was going to buy the dwarfs in 2.75 which i know will be absolutely fine, but some scopes have popped up nearby in classified ads in 2.25. I originally wanted scopes, but cannot afford them new. I know nothing about test curves and i have been told that these scopes in 2.25 wont suit what i want them for. I've been told that they're not suited to normal carping, more for barbel, and that any venue with weeds, lillys, or snags the rod wont perform well. I think this is true but wanted to get some opinions, not that i don't believe the guy in the store i was in.

I'm not looking for big beefy test curves or rods. I wont be casting far at all, maybe 40yards if that at small to medium fisheries. Would really appreciate advice on this as i am honestly lost. I was also going to pair either rod with nash bp4/6's.

crumpercatcher.

Site Supporter
They sound fine to me for what you want. If your not needing to cast huge distances, fish close to snags and the average stamp of fish is doubles to twenties, two and a quarter pound test curve will be ideal. Can also be used for barbel fishing on big rivers or if there is a few feet of extra water on.

The first few times I went to France I took my 2.25lb test curve rods as that was all I had at the time. I landed twenties, thirties and forties on those rods in suitable swims. For 9ft rods I would also consider Sonik Insurgents, I swapped my Nash rods for them last year.

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
I'd look at the 2.75lb Dwarfs... I think they are only available in cork handled now... my 2.75's are very good for small waters, if you fish a bigger water you may need to up that to the 3lb 10' version ... the 2.25 scopes won't cope with bag or distance work, they are quite soft... also, even new Dwarfs will be cheaper than second hand Scopes and theres not a great deal of difference between the two

BrownManX

I'd look at the 2.75lb Dwarfs... I think they are only available in cork handled now... my 2.75's are very good for small waters, if you fish a bigger water you may need to up that to the 3lb 10' version ... the 2.25 scopes won't cope with bag or distance work, they are quite soft... also, even new Dwarfs will be cheaper than second hand Scopes and theres not a great deal of difference between the two
Yeah the 2.75 dwarfs are only cork handle. I wasn't planning on doing any distance work, just not that guy. Will i be able to use bags and mesh on a 2.75 dwarf? Also are nash BP4/6's fine? There's literally no price difference between those two.

BrownManX

They sound fine to me for what you want. If your not needing to cast huge distances, fish close to snags and the average stamp of fish is doubles to twenties, two and a quarter pound test curve will be ideal. Can also be used for barbel fishing on big rivers or if there is a few feet of extra water on.

The first few times I went to France I took my 2.25lb test curve rods as that was all I had at the time. I landed twenties, thirties and forties on those rods in suitable swims. For 9ft rods I would also consider Sonik Insurgents, I swapped my Nash rods for them last year.
I guess i avoid the 2.25's then. I planned fishing no more than 40 yards, no distance casting and fishing close to islands, lilys, overhangs and features etc. I'm not sure if every place me and the gang plan to go to are what you'd call suitable swims. So i guess i must avoid that low of a TC.

Arry

Site Supporter
The 2.75's are okay for small solid bag work and mesh bags, it you are going to be chucking no further than 40 yards the 2.75 will be the nuts... be aware Daiwa, Sonik and I think ESP also have short rods out, they are all built by the same firm and rebadged, the design of the blanks are identical, only the rings graphics and reel seats are different...
If you can, go with the BP 6's the BP4'S are tiny... I used a BP4 on a 8' feeder rod it was that small... They have a quick drag

BrownManX

The 2.75's are okay for small solid bag work and mesh bags, it you are going to be chucking no further than 40 yards the 2.75 will be the nuts... be aware Daiwa, Sonik and I think ESP also have short rods out, they are all built by the same firm and rebadged, the design of the blanks are identical, only the rings graphics and reel seats are different...
If you can, go with the BP 6's the BP4'S are tiny... I used a BP4 on a 8' feeder rod it was that small... They have a quick drag
That's definately good to know about the rods basically being the same. I do think i will go with nash mainly because i have a loads of other nash gear. I wanted the BP4's because they're small. The BP4 can't take that much line, probably around 100/120 ish yards, but isn't that fine for me, or are there other issues outside of the smallness of them? The two goddam angling direct stores i went into didn't have BP4 or 6. Do you have any other recommendations for reels around the £50-60 price range, new or used?

TiggerXFM

I have a 10ft nash scope in 2.25lb test curve. I don't 'think it would excel at casting any amount of weight long distances, but I would be confident of blasting a couple of ounces out, and i'm sure that would travel quite a distance. I wouldn't be worried about the size of fish I hooked either, i'm sure the rod could handle quite large carp well enough.

BrownManX

I have a 10ft nash scope in 2.25lb test curve. I don't 'think it would excel at casting any amount of weight long distances, but I would be confident of blasting a couple of ounces out, and i'm sure that would travel quite a distance. I wouldn't be worried about the size of fish I hooked either, i'm sure the rod could handle quite large carp well enough.
A lot of people just keep telling me not to get the 9ft 2.25lb TC ones. They all say it would be a bad idea fishing close to snags, lillys etc. Also for using any bags/mesh. I really want the scopes, but this has put me off big time as i plan on fishing up close to islands lilys and using mesh/bags. I don't want to just go out and spend a lot of money on them with what people keep saying. Quite a few people have also said it wouldn't be a problem at all. It's so hard to make a decision honestly, it's like 50/50 what i have read/been told in store and online.

Arry

Site Supporter
Have a look at the Soniks or Okuma... possibly Shimano 6000 runners... all are good reels

TiggerXFM

A lot of people just keep telling me not to get the 9ft 2.25lb TC ones. They all say it would be a bad idea fishing close to snags, lillys etc. Also for using any bags/mesh. I really want the scopes, but this has put me off big time as i plan on fishing up close to islands lilys and using mesh/bags. I don't want to just go out and spend a lot of money on them with what people keep saying. Quite a few people have also said it wouldn't be a problem at all. It's so hard to make a decision honestly, it's like 50/50 what i have read/been told in store and online.
As I said, my one is 10ft and 2.25 test so can't comment on the 9 footers. Although, I wouldn't be put off the 9 footers myself, I imagine they would be fine...jmo though.

rd115

Slava Ukraini
Site Supporter
I can vouch for Okuma reels, quality for not a lot of money (y)

I punish mine Barbel fishing and never miss a beat.

rudd

Serial Blanker
Site Supporter
TC has no bearing whatsover with regards to fishing to snags.
That will depend on overall action of rod and line used.
A TC is about load that can be placed on a rod during cast.
A minimum of 2.75lb is needed for safe casting of 2-2.5oz lead with a bag of any form (apart from a tiny mesh bag used to straighten out rig) any distance.
2.25 Ok for 1-2oz of lead with a small stringer or very small bag.

As a guide 1oz of casting weight (lead and bag) per 1lb test curve.

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
Test curve is just the amount of weight required to bend the tip to make a right angle with the butt. It gives an indication of strength, nothing more. As has already been said, you can relate casting weight to TC but there are other aspects to factor in, length, sensitivity etc etc.

OldTaff

Site Supporter
You could just buy a feeder rod with a set of push in tips and not worry about this “test curve” stuff - it works for me on a carp puddle :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

RMNDIL

Site Supporter
be aware Daiwa, Sonik and I think ESP also have short rods out, they are all built by the same firm and rebadged, the design of the blanks are identical, only the rings graphics and reel seats are different...

Absolutely false. I don't think Dave Ellyatt at ESP will be very happy with that rumour considering the hard work he puts into his designs (from scratch). Be careful to state facts only. Whereas Dave Ellyatt is a really nice guy others might not be.

Arry

Site Supporter
Read what I said..."I think" I didn't say definitely, read what's written before jumping in with both feet