i need advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hopper_fcuk

The Smogster
ive just bought my new fishing gear, been away from fishing for 10 yrs and had to buy everything new.
im from teesside and was wondering if anyone cud point me in the right way for places to fish.
places i used to fish are now no good i heard.
i have a car so i can travel.
thanx
tony

ps i bought a shimano hyperloop 13ft float rod and mitchell 300x, anyone know if there any good ? got the mitchell 300 coz its what i had along time ago

..`. ><((((((>
``..`. ><((((>

carpbob3

you could try Willows at Hessay York ........ there are alot of fisheries around the york area

Hopper_fcuk

The Smogster
would this be a good place to start at or after ive caught a few fish ?

im looking for a quite easy venue to start

..`. ><((((((>
``..`. ><((((>

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hi Hopper and welcome on board [:)]

Anywhere at the moment will be hard especially this weekend because of the drop in temperature.
Try Woodlands at Carlton Mineot, Nr Thirsk and fish the older ponds such as the first one on the right as you go in
You'll have to sit it out though as bites will be few and far between.
Another place to go would be to hit the rivers such as Swale and see if you can get a winter chub or two.
There's plenty of lads from up your way on the board so they'll be able to offer you more local info.

The rod that you bought has had soem good review and should do you proud, I believe the reel is having a few problems but thats only from what I've read and not from personal experience

Tight lines,

Dave

Hopper_fcuk

The Smogster
hiya dave
i went to woodlands about 10 yrs ago, think it wud have been one of my last days fishing and it had 3 lakes and cost 5 quid to fish it, i found the flyer in loft other day.
im thinking of going on my 1st trip back next saturday, i'd be happy with a few bites really so i know im doing things right.

looking round my tackle shop i see that its cheaper now to fish than it was last time i went in 93, even found some old mail order catalogues in my loft and most things cost more then than they do in my new catalouges, how can this be ?
plus woodlands is still 5 quid i heard ?

..`. ><((((((>
``..`. ><((((>

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
They've now got 13 lakes and the price is 6.00-7.00 so they've grown a bit [:)]

As for prices, yep I'd agree with that one it seems like a lot of tackle prices have stood still over time and in some cases gone down. Take into account wages compared to what they were 10 years ago and everything is a heck of a lot cheaper.
I remember the first Carbon Fibre rod that came out and it was a 'must have' item at around 80 25years ago. That was over two weeks wages. You can get a really good rod for that price now.

I suppose it's technology - the easier production becomes the cheaper the manufacturing costs.

If at Woodlands, don't feed heavy, in fact don't feed much at all. Fish close up to the margins or the islands and use a maggot on a size 20 or 22. Try and keep the bait still if there is any drag on the water if you're float fishing and have it sat on the bottom. You should get a bite or two and hopefully a fish

Nice signature by the way

Dave

Hopper_fcuk

The Smogster
thanx for that help dave, this is good like sitting in ya chair with a cuppa tea getting advice and tips from anglers.

have you heard of renny lake ?
its about 15 mins away from me and heard that was a canny lake with some good fihing in the summer, wonder what its like this time of year

..`. ><((((((>
``..`. ><((((>

Simon R

Site Supporter
Hi Hopper

I fish Renny Lake regularly and it's been fishing very well all year. Its got a little slower recently but if you have a look at the reports on our club matches (Stokesley AC) from December last year you'll see the sort of catches we were getting.

We've got a club match on there next Sunday, so have a look down at about 3pm ish and you'll see what we've been catching.

Woodlands is probably worth a bash - the best winter peg IMHO is the one between the two big islands on Silver Birch - its sheltered and you can get away with fishing a waggler too.

The Oaks Fishery at Sessay, near Thirsk is good too, although you might struggle this time of year.

Don't forget our local water - the River Tees. Try the Horseshoe Bend or Bassleton Woods at Thornaby, both should be good for a few bites (and its free!)

If you need any more information, let me know

Tight Lines

Simon

Hopper_fcuk

The Smogster
hiya simon

thanx for the info mate, im dying to get out there and do abit ya know haha 1 bite wud make my day.

i went down to the tees last week at thornaby netto car park but couldnt see any pegs ?

could you give me a link to your club site mate.

im gonna make next sat my 1st trip.

..`. ><((((((>
``..`. ><((((>

Simon R

Site Supporter
We don't have our own website - I just post stuff on here
Here's a link to one of our matches http://www.maggotdrowning.com/forums/threads/2842
and you'll find the rest under "Match Results" on this site, just scroll down the list.

Simon

Hopper_fcuk

The Smogster
cheers simon

ive been told to try eden meadows too in wingate used to be called beaumont fisheries.
if i was to goto renny lake next sat how would u go about fishing it ?
ive got a whip,float and led rod.

..`. ><((((((>
``..`. ><((((>

fishing_mad

if you really arnt bothered about travelling come down to blackpool and try some places around here

[:)]Fishing Mad[:)]

Hopper_fcuk

The Smogster
cant get that link to open.

im looking to do some vens in teesside/north yorkshire to start mate.

..`. ><((((((>
``..`. ><((((>

Hopper_fcuk

The Smogster
cheers rob i hope i do ok too.

a bite or 2 will be good just to know im doing things right.

i'm going next saturday and will let you know what happens.

going to eden meadows up at wingate, e-mailed the owner and he told me to ring him friday to have a chat about whats working ok.

cheers
tony

..`. ><((((((>
``..`. ><((((>

Status
Not open for further replies.