I must be losing the plot!

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Baitrunner or QuickDrag - just in case you were being serious :LOL:
Just kidding, but I do know what you mean, I've got loads of questions on it all too.

Apparently the modern carpers are looking down their noses at Baitrunners these days, it's all about QuickDrags on big pits if you want to "fit in"... for absolutely no logical reason of course :rolleyes:

If I get into it then I will be buying some Ci4+ Ultegra 5500's because they're just a reel that I've always liked the look of, but I'll be going with my Baitrunner 6000 OC's to begin with, which are absolutely solid reels in their own right, I consider them my deadbait reels.
The things you put the rods on must be a) quite heavy and b) hold the rods in place?

DontKillZander

Irregular member
Site Supporter
The things you put the rods on must be a) quite heavy and b) hold the rods in place?
Nah not a must, my dad has got a couple of solar pods he has collected over the years like this -
solarp1.JPG

Apparently they are built for lasting a lifetime and the price reflects it, I could get one off him but again - referring back to my OP, its too bulky for what I want.

I'll be going with the bankstick approach like so -

carpologystock.jpg

Nice and compact, loads of people do it.

Regardless, it's just all about setting your drag, be it QD or a Baitrunner, as long as it is set properly, the lead is responsible for the initial hook set - and the carp runs off with the line on the baitrunner/QD rather than running off with the rods.

Some people do fish with a tight drag and have the rods being ragged around on the rests, in that case yes - they're going to need to be clipped down in some way.

Alantherose

Site Supporter
Nah not a must, my dad has got a couple of solar pods he has collected over the years like this -
solarp1.JPG

Apparently they are built for lasting a lifetime and the price reflects it, I could get one off him but again - referring back to my OP, its too bulky for what I want.

carpologystock.jpg

Regardless, it's just all about setting your drag, be it QD or a Baitrunner, as long as it is set properly, the lead is responsible for the initial hook set - and the carp runs off with the line on the baitrunner/QD rather than running off with the rods.

Some people do fish with a tight drag and have the rods being ragged around on the rests, in that case yes - they're going to need to be clipped down in some way.
I think it depends if you're fishing close to snags doesn't it? Tight drag near snag, looser in open water.

Mike_Globe

Trying very hard to catch big carp
Site Supporter
I ended up going with an Xtractor after a bit of looking around, cheers for that!

I went with the Xtractor Recon T30 (Transport 30inch version), the net frame / arms / whatever'ya'call'em are also telescopic on this one, allowing the 42inch arms to retract down to 30inch/80cm, matching the black ops net pack length - and conveniently the same as my rods, couldn't find that on any others - and best of all tackle-up had it for under £50 shipped.

reconT30.JPG

I'm not keen on the idea of a plastic spreader block but can't argue for the price, do you know if it detatches?
Same here but mine has been robust enough when used. Yes, it screws off which is handy as I’ve used with other nets when stalking on the river.

DontKillZander

Irregular member
Site Supporter

solarp1.JPG

carpologystock.jpg

Then again, I've just ordered one of these (2 rod version), New Direction compact carbon pod - looks absolutely fantastic, £69.

And a couple of these -

ndmag.JPG

Magnet screws onto the rear buzz bar, and then the other straps onto the rod handle, looks like a neat little gadget.

Last edited:

DontKillZander

Irregular member
Site Supporter
Unboxed those TX-Lites today, courtesy of Uttings.

I own quite a lot of rods, 20?-25?, and I usually only ever buy online so I've found it's always hit or miss whether I like the feel of a rod on first impression out of the tube and that usually sets the tone going forward, although some do grow on me - I've had quite a few disappointments.

These have blown me away on first impression, I'm absolutely over the moon and highly confident in my purchase with these, I can not believe I've got these for this price -

tx-lite.JPG

The whole marketing spiel from Shimano on these was that they are 4 piece - but specially designed so that you'd never know that from the action, and after giving them a bend and inspecting closely - that would seem to truly be the case, I'm very impressed.

I don't own any other carp rods but I've had my hands on plenty over the years - including some real snooker ques, these are absolutely not snooker ques, I've got the 2.75tc and due to being 10ft I did expect them to be pretty stiff, again - after giving them a bend I'm very surprised, initial impressions are they really do feel great, high quality, a lot of "nice touches" in places (I love the hard foam rings below each joint for example), and it seems like they're going to have a really smooth and forgiving action, this is going to be a lot of fun.