I have no respect for carp anglers.

Shlink

4 rods out per person, all set up with alarms and 20LB line waiting for them to take their so and so brand of expensive boilies...

Am I the only one here who has no respect for the average carp angler? They take up most of the lake with lines in all directions, they have those piercing "buzzers" indicating a fish has hooked itself and they spend ridiculous amounts of money on elaborate set ups and bait.

This thread is criticizing a method of fishing I don't like- If anyone can enlighten me on why I'm being unfair with my opinion please do!

Zerkalo

I tend to skip the Big Carp catch pages of the Angling Times but respect those who don't just fish 'runs waters' and go after actual specimens, ie those who do it 'properly, even if runs waters have a place. It can be a sign of a novice angler having full bivvy and alarm set up on a commie full with mid doubles at most.

My first thread on the this forum was 'Too many carp' but by that I meant commercials in general. There's an article in this weeks Angling Times about the huge match weights from F1 filled commies and how it's 'not fishing it's catching' with various opinions. Personally I think it has it's place and specimen carp fishing is something I'd at least like to try sometime for a bit of variety to my fishing.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I respect they can do what they want but certainly not a method of fishing that appeals to me one bit. Made myself have one carp session this year just to say I tried it (not specimen style but not match style) and had half dozen upper singles by about 2 but found it so boring I went home early and didn’t bother boring anyone on here with a report on it.

And yeah I skip every article in angling press that focuses on carp with the exception of the odd surface fishing article, I don’t mind breaking up a silvers session with an hour of that. Just find the other styles of carping boring.

Zerkalo

Some people just have their own ways of fishing I guess. Made me laugh a bit watching an Alan Scotthorne video of him fishing for Barbel on the Wye and he does it using a pole and a flat float. I say laugh, but obviously he knows what he's doing and caught a few fish, but it's such a 'Matchman' way of doing it I thought.

Gwillim

Well I think that its absolutely horrendous, pitiful at best, I mean what are they thinking? surely that cant be right can it? an abomination to society, they should be put against a wall and shot for even thinking of such things, how can it be true? and enlightenment is most definitely advocated amongst the savages, at the very least they should be brought to trial before their peers and forced to explain these shannanigans!!!!

Shlink

Some people just have their own ways of fishing I guess. Made me laugh a bit watching an Alan Scotthorne video of him fishing for Barbel on the Wye and he does it using a pole and a flat float. I say laugh, but obviously he knows what he's doing and caught a few fish, but it's such a 'Matchman' way of doing it I thought.
The method of fishing with alarms and 4 rods is one thing but the screeching of buzzers and the amount of fishing space they take up is another. When their method spoils your enjoyment of the fishing day by noise pollution or by limiting your fishing space drastically is when it goes from a pet peeve to a problem. The man barbel fishing with a pole on the river you mentioned isn't hindering anyone else fishing is he? So id have no problem with that at all

Shlink

I hate people who judge others for what they enjoy doing. As has been said each to there own.
Instead of taking offence you could think about what I'm saying first- A big part of my enjoyment fishing is the peace and calm, not the screeching of buzzers! Also Ill be lucky to even get a spot to fish if the carp lads get there first with 4 rods strung all over the pond.

Zerkalo

Know what you mean if hindering other peoples fishing, casting big 3oz bombs off the end of your pole, then the sound of the buzzers.

On a recent holiday to the Isle of Wight I was looking for a place to fish that wasn't going to be all Carp of various sizes. I ended up on a day ticket club water and when I arrived there were several Carp anglers with multiple rods and alarms out casting all over the shop. I thought I'll show these locals a thing or two and fished a waggler with 7 or 8lb bottoms tight to the margin next to the platform.

Sure enough I hooked several lumps in the time it took for an alarm to go off. Difference was I lost all but one of them only having packed an avon rod and a travel sized folding landing net. The guy was visibly shook when he saw me hooking fish but also showed his amusement at my rod arched under the platform. He took great delight at landing his one and only 10lb Carp on a beefy big Carp rod and massive landing net.

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
Did the fact that you chose to fish a different way than others make you feel superior as your "I thought I'll show these locals a thing or two" indicates you did.

No disrespect but since you joined this forum you have asked a fair few questions with a fair few all round anglers such as myself willing to help.
You might want to consider that some of us also fit the criteria of those you are having a pop at.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Got to admit it is quite amusing pulling a few carp out when fishing for silvers whilst the carpers are sat there motionless (standard lakes not specimen ones may I add). Obviously wouldn’t be wise to fish for carp with a float rod, 4lb line and size 18 to 2.5lb hooks to nylon but there is a lesson in it that on a lot of waters an Avon rod with 6-8lb line and 5-6lb hooklengths is probably the tool for the job rather then 2lb tc rods with big old reels with 15lb line. At the end of the day each to their own but surely they’d rather be catching.

In terms of carping on specimen lakes whilst I find the idea boring I know nothing about it so wouldn’t comment on how to do that at all.

rd115

Barbus Minimus
Site Supporter
Each to their own but the big carp game isn't for me.

3 rods, fair enough, but then you need a spod rod clipped up for each of your 3 fishing rods, so 6 rods, 6 reels and all the line then need, is there more rods? Marker rods? Ali Hamidi wannabes with their fish/depth finder gizmo rods?

Seems a bit much just to catch 1-2 fish (if you're lucky enough not to blank) over a weekend.

Zerkalo

Did the fact that you chose to fish a different way than others make you feel superior as your "I thought I'll show these locals a thing or two" indicates you did.

No disrespect but since you joined this forum you have asked a fair few questions with a fair few all round anglers such as myself willing to help.
You might want to consider that some of us also fit the criteria of those you are having a pop at.

Not at all. Just seems a dodgy way to fish a venue with Carp to only mid doubles. Not having a pop at anyone.

johng19

me@home.com
Instead of taking offence you could think about what I'm saying first- A big part of my enjoyment fishing is the peace and calm, not the screeching of buzzers! Also Ill be lucky to even get a spot to fish if the carp lads get there first with 4 rods strung all over the pond.
The name of the post says it all for me, (I have no respect for carp anglers) I am not a carp angler, so it's not offensive to me.

markthemouse

Nothing wrong with carp fishing - I think it should be 3 rods max - on big gravel pits spreading out is fine but it should not be done on small commercials with other anglers around. Its not better or worse than match fishing just different. Match anglers and carpers should respect eachother