I have never…

tincatim

Site Supporter
Seeing a few posts about centrepins this morning, made me realise that I’ve never used a centrepin. And despite fishing rivers for years I’ve also never caught a trout! And I’ve never caught a single fish on expander.

Which aspects of angling have you never done that might surprise us?

nejohn

Site Supporter
I have never caught a fish on a fly, dry or wet gave it a real good go one year, caught lots of trees, vegetation and my trousers on several occasions but never managed to catch a fish.....gave up in the end, put the fly gear to the back of the shed and only ever appears when I move house

Rob F

Site Supporter
Never done fly fishing.
Never used a hair rig.
First go with a method feeder last weekend - more practice required! Tried the method feeder only after having found three of the things on the ground whilst walking around a twelve peg venue! Complete with hook lengths still attached, not good really. I took it as a sign from God to give it a go!

alsur

Site Supporter
Never sat behind a pair of buzzers, haven't night fish since I was a kid.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I’ve never used a centre pin on a river or fly fished a river which I suppose is a surprise as a predominantly river angler. Never used a pole either but that’s more by choice. Probably other obvious things but those are the first ones to pop into my head.

ravey

I’ve never tried the method feeder, but will be giving it a go soon. I only recently caught a pike on a dead bait as well.

tincatim

Site Supporter
I’ve never caught a pike by design, only ever had one by mistake on the pole. I’ve also got a rod pod and bait alarms in the cellar, I’ve never used them!

Robwooly

Never drank alcohol whilst fishing (plenty after or before but never during)
Never fished from a platform until I was in my late 30's (weird feeling it was, they are all flat and everything)
Never fished 200 rivers (give it time eh)
Never caught a Zander (like a long perch I've heard)

Never said never when it comes to fishing

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
Seeing a few posts about centrepins this morning, made me realise that I’ve never used a centrepin. And despite fishing rivers for years I’ve also never caught a trout! And I’ve never caught a single fish on expander.
I suspect that the vast majority of centrepins out there rarely see water of any kind. Lots get bought by collectors. A lot get bought by folks that fancy the idea of using them more than the reality they end up with. Cetrepins aren't rocket science, but even a modest level of proficiency takes time.

If you fish rivers, or parts of rivers, where trout are present in reasonable numbers, they are actually rather easy to catch on coarse fishing methods.

Which aspects of angling have you never done that might surprise us?
There are loads of things I've tried and will probably never do again. However, the only UK angling I've never really done is deliberately fishing for sea trout and salmon. However, I've caught both as bycatch. Various combinations of cost, availability and futility all combine to put me off. I suppose that I've never set out to catch a zander, but I gave up on predator fishing long ago and live in an area where they aren't present.