I Have Had Enough of Barclays Bank

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
As treasurer of a small charity I have been trying to add some signatories to accounts at Lloyds and Barclays. Lloyds no problem, done in 5 days and all online. Barclays? Aaaaaaaaarrrrgggghhhh! Nearly three months so far.

They have rejected the ID of one person three times. This despite him both visiting a branch and completing the ID verification via the Barclays App. Apparently the branch staff don't check the ID as they don't know what to look for. They just photocopy whatever you take in and verify it as a copy of the original. It is up to the customer to take the right documents. The app issues a "verification reference" whether you have passed the procedure or not.

Just over two weeks ago I sent a letter of complaint. With no reply received I called yesterday to be told "Your complaint has been logged and filed".
"In other words put in the bin."
"No, it has been logged and filed".
"Is anyone going to reply?"
"No, it has been logged and filed."
"So it has been put in the bin."
"No, it has been logged and filed."

I asked to be put through to someone more senior "Can't do that, we don't have a system to transfer calls internally".

I then got transferred to the Mandate Change Team, someone working from home. I said I wanted to speak with someone senior "Can't do that, we don't have a system to transfer calls internally". OK, put me through to the actual office "Can't do that, we don't have a system to transfer calls internally". I swear The Goons wrote the script.

Eventually, after 62 minutes on the phone I gave up. Today I am going to my local Lloyds to see about transferring the accounts to them.

And oh the irony, tomorrow my Barclays pension will arrive in my account. Yes this is very painful for me to have to withstand.

After speaking with Barclays this seems sensible by comparison.

The Runner

Site Supporter
Only three months? You were lucky.
Club of which I’m still the treasurer has been trying for a year or more to get a signatory added and one removed.
(Nat West)
And as for the endless trouble we had trying to get them to send statements to me when I’m not a signatory…. ( club has always had the sensible policy of the person who signs the cheques not being the same person who keeps the books. At least one other local club had a bad outcome in the past by not doing this)
Finally resolved it by them addressing the letters to our chairman, who is a signatory, but to my address ! Madness….

nejohn

Site Supporter
To be fair I have been with Barclays a very long time and have had no issues with them and always found them to be helpful. OK sometimes they can be a bit of a bugger temporarily freezing your card if something flags up as possibly fraudulent but the do text and call you to alert you and then it is just a case of answering a few questions and you are good to go, but I would rather they are over cautious than go the other way

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
To be fair I have been with Barclays a very long time and have had no issues with them and always found them to be helpful. OK sometimes they can be a bit of a bugger temporarily freezing your card if something flags up as possibly fraudulent but the do text and call you to alert you and then it is just a case of answering a few questions and you are good to go, but I would rather they are over cautious than go the other way
Shame they cannot embrace the digital age like Lloyds. Lloyds have a commercial banking app that means I can view balances and do many other tasks on my phone using my fingerprint to log on. With Barclays I still have to log on through a website and PIN code generator.

There is no way, when I was managing customer facing staff, that they would be left exposed to angry customers without a means of escalating the call to someone senior.

Krh57

Site Supporter
I must admit I think Barclays are useless, been with them for years and all they’ve done over then last 12 months is close all the local branches ( six that i know of and used to use) !!
Can’t be arsed to change everything over to another bank now !
Really believe Barclays have lost the plot !!

nejohn

Site Supporter
Shame they cannot embrace the digital age like Lloyds. Lloyds have a commercial banking app that means I can view balances and do many other tasks on my phone using my fingerprint to log on. With Barclays I still have to log on through a website and PIN code generator.

There is no way, when I was managing customer facing staff, that they would be left exposed to angry customers without a means of escalating the call to someone senior.
Barclays have an app also that you can do all of the above though I just choose not to have anything bank related on my phone as it is something that I use all of the time so if anything is likely to get hacked or lost it will be my phone. If you have an android phone just search Barclays on the play store and download the app it is then just a case of registering

nejohn

Site Supporter
I must admit I think Barclays are useless, been with them for years and all they’ve done over then last 12 months is close all the local branches ( six that i know of and used to use) !!
Can’t be arsed to change everything over to another bank now !
Really believe Barclays have lost the plot !!
That is an issue as they seem to close all of the smaller branches, my local branch is closing in September so my nearest branch is now 6 miles away or the large main branch in Cardiff. However I don't think Barclays have the monopoly on this as Kathy is with Lloyds and they have recently closed 2 branches local to us. I think this is a lot to do with online and banking apps that Neil mentions, if people are using these methods for their day to day banking then the branch footfall becomes almost non existent. I was in my local branch last week and at 10:30 in the morning the girl said I was the 1st customer

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter

One of the advantages of having staff work from home... zero escalation

Arry

Site Supporter
That is an issue as they seem to close all of the smaller branches, my local branch is closing in September so my nearest branch is now 6 miles away or the large main branch in Cardiff. However I don't think Barclays have the monopoly on this as Kathy is with Lloyds and they have recently closed 2 branches local to us
The majority of major banks have left the high street preferring to go mobile or online... bit like self serve checkouts in sainsburys... I've managed to stay away from mobile or internet banking so far, but its increasingly likely I'll have to succumb eventually

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
The majority of major banks have left the high street preferring to go mobile or online... bit like self serve checkouts in sainsburys... I've managed to stay away from mobile or internet banking so far, but its increasingly likely I'll have to succumb eventually
It actually works well for me. Both personally and for the charity.

Novice937

"Can I speak to your manager please?"
"There is no one available"
"I fail to believe any company would leave an idiot like you unsupervised"

Only to be used when you know the battle is lost and you're just venting. It's a guarenteed hang up.

Total

Site Supporter

Only to be used when you know the battle is lost and you're just venting. It's a guarenteed hang up.
Very nearly the same conversation recently with a local hospital,
Except the recipient added "We are very sorry you feel that way...."......."Not as sorry as I feel.... Good day.....":giggle:

Arry

Site Supporter

There is always someone available... but they can't give out a number... you can ask that the person higher up the chain call you though... and if they don't, pester the fekkers till they do
😛

fish4alarf

Site Supporter
Apart from the tackle shop (bait) and buying a pint, i cannot remember using cash for anything, the shopkeeper going to the bank with his takings are long gone, hence the closures.
Even the pubs and social clubs take the plastic.
I have been with Barclays for 40 years never had a problem.