I Have Had Enough! (Lengthy Rant)

Sportsman

Site Supporter
Re: the death penalty.
Interestingly, in the USA murder rates are higher in the states with the death penalty than in states who do not have it. It doesn't seem to be much of a deterrent either.

Pompous git

Site Supporter
Hello Sportsman, the death penalty is not just about lessening the murder rate it is also about suitable punishment. Some people
have committed such dreadful crimes hanging them ten times would not be good enough.

Comparing crime and punishment between Norway and the USA, hmmm.

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
But once the death penalty has been served they won't do it again will they.
How many times have we heard about a crim getting out early and going onto doing further similar crimes.

AdeB

Site Supporter
Not sure if it's TRUE, but have heard of a friend of a friend who I know was a martial art black belt and kick boxer. Did get charged with murder but supposedly got off as he only hit him once. Supposedly the palm of your hand driven under someones nose is better than punching someone on the chin
My best mate is a 4th dan black belt karate teacher, I often ask what he would do in certain situations, his reply? Walk away, if you can't only defend yourself.... wise words.

R0B

Interestingly, in the USA murder rates are higher in the states with the death penalty than in states who do not have it. It doesn't seem to be much of a deterrent either.
Are they the same states where anyone can wander into a shop and buy an assault rifle?

CarpCatcher86

It isn't a deterrent becuse it will never happen. Prisoners sit in death row cells for years without being executed. In such case they should just be called cells and drop the death row bit. In most cases the prisoners have more chance of dying in their cells before the DOE is set in stone.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
The test for effectivness for any prison system has to be the re-offending rate. The argument seems to be that if a prison is tough enough, criminals won't want to return and will be deterred from criminal behaviour.
The USA locks up the highest proportion of its population than any other country in the world. The prison regime is one of the most violent and brutal in the "civilised world"
The USA also has the 3rd highest re-offending and re-imprisonment rate in the world.
Norway has one of the most liberal prison regimes in the world and also has one of the lowest re offending rates.
Any explanations?
Quite possibly down to the fact they have less idiots in Norway than they do in the USA