I had just left school

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
such an interesting decade

just bought my first legal moped, got into my girlfiends knickers and lost my cherry, started work as an apprentice core and pattern maker, earning big bucks £14,50 a week less tax, NI and union subs, paid me mum a £5 a week lodge

Last edited:

Wise Owl

Account Locked
1975 Remember it well, we had to move outta our House as the council were renovating our Street, putting new windows, Central heating and new bathrooms and Kitchens, when we moved back in it was like a palace, it was the Year we had a family holiday 2 weeks in North Wales staying with friends of my step father, i was 11 year old so in the second year of Middle school if i remember right i spent the most part of Bonfire night in A & E with a Broken Arm :(

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
My last year in Primary school and a school trip to Bristol to see SS Great Britain and Concorde.

130 years apart but both the peak of Britain's industrial and innovative might.

The Runner

Site Supporter
1975 eh ?
Just into my third year at Uni, sharing a flat with 4 others, parties every weekend, can't remember doing much work but suppose I must have done as ended up getting a decent degree.
Had just met the girl who I was to be with for the next seven years before things all went wrong (and coincidentally I was down in Whitley Bay last week and met up with her for the first time in 35 years for lunch...)
Summer job in a cafe in Bowness on Windermere, mountains on the days off and beer in the Hole in the Wall every night
Week at easter in Snowdonia with a mate, sleeping in the car as each of us thought the other was bringing their tent.
And still managed to get some fishing in, although this being Tyneside in the 70s didn't catch a great deal most of the time, or in the case of the North Durham Winter League, any of the time.

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
75...? I'd been in work a year as a trainee butcher... £16 a week and I had to give me mum a fiver of that for keep money... always skint... used to walk to work from Loughton to Tottenham butchery training college and managed to hold down a bird for more than a few weeks as I couldn't keep them in makeup and babycham

Markywhizz

Clueless member
Site Supporter
I must be about the same age as Wise Owl and Lee Richards and a couple of years older than Tipitinmick. Can’t remember anything significant about 1975 but I started secondary school in 76. Went from a school with forty odd kids to one with two thousand.

The Landlord

Site Supporter
I was in my last year at school & had a Saturday and holiday job as a warehouseman in a fruit & veg wholesaler. I was paid the princely sum of £2 per day.

RedhillPhil

Computers verified, riots quelled, wars started.
Site Supporter
1975? I was a British Rail guard based at and living in Cambridge. Married to Mrs. Phil number one and a £15 per month mortgage on a three up/three down £3,685 (that's not a mis-print) terraced house.

nejohn

Site Supporter
This time in 1975, I would have just started my final year at school , was fishing every weekend and some evenings after school in the local village pond with the odd bus trip to the river wear, had also just discovered girls and was probably a few weeks away from discovering that if I drank 4 pints of beer (at 27p per pint) i would wake up the next morning feeling pretty bad. I think my dad would have had a MK3 Cortina GXL as a company car around then. My tackle would have been a sealy black arrow 13ft float rod, I might also have had a Milbro Coleshill classic by then too teamed with a micthell 324 or 408 both would be loaded with Maxima (nothing changes) and would be carried in a Stephens seat box and matching rod holdall (last birthday present) I would think nothing of carrying the tackle to the pond which was just over a mile away

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Had been out of the Army for a year and spent my time trunking the A roads and what motorways were available in AEC Mercurys, Mandators and Foden trucks. No sleeper cabs but plenty of nights out in cheap digs.

davepellet

September 1975... I was 9! (nearly 10 tho...)

spent all my spare time knocking about on my bike, knocking about in the woods, knocking about in the park, knocking about in the quarry, knocking about my granddads farm, knocking about the Sportsman car park scratching round for warm dregs...

I did a lot of knocking about!

feldri

Site Supporter
I was 23 and just split with my first wife. Ahh, those were the days. :)

Wise Owl

Account Locked
Another thing i remember was Rod Stewart at number 1 with Sailing and the lasses at our school with Tartan scarfs and turn ups like the Bay city Rollers :LOL: :LOL: