I do wonder at times?

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
Despite having loads of different rods at my disposal, I rarely take more than two. However, I know my venues very, very well, pick my times to go and do little but float fish (sue me, I don't enjoy legering anywhere near as much). If I were to go back to match fishing, where you have to fish wherever you draw, the conditions are what they are, and using whatever method is likely to produce the best results on the day is a pretty good idea if you want to compete, then I can't imagine taking less than five rods. Taking that few would depend on having a vague idea of what to expect from the venue. That number may well come down to three if I was fishing a match on the average commie, though rods would undoubtedly be supplemented by a pole.

It's not something I'd do, but I'm not convinced that the idea of taking three different length rods for different depths is quite so outlandish. Realistically. you are talking about a YouTube video, which may not be entirely representative of a real world scenario, even for the angler concerned. If it's a "paid" promo video, it's unlikely to be reflective of reality, In some respects, it may not even be especially extreme. There have been plenty of glorified adverts where someone has had an entire range of feeder rods (usually more extensive than float rod ranges), set up on a bank. Ultimately, if the angler concerned really would do as described in a match, it'll be because he believes it increases his chances of winning. It may also be quite specific to the venue concerned and not representative of the gear he might usually take to any venue.

Anglingman

Mr Ginster
Site Supporter
Happy new year to you all.

my last match was:

10ft bomb
11ft (15g) method
11ft maggot feeder
12ft (3 square) cage (only because I didn't have another shorter rod configured as I would like)
11ft waggler

4 top kits for the pole.
Only caught on the pole :p

Walked away thinking I needed to buy another 10ft rod.....

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
Happy new year to you all.

my last match was:

10ft bomb
11ft (15g) method
11ft maggot feeder
12ft (3 square) cage (only because I didn't have another shorter rod configured as I would like)
11ft waggler

4 top kits for the pole.
Only caught on the pole :p

Walked away thinking I needed to buy another 10ft rod.....
You can never have too many rods.....

Godber

Priapism! ladies?
Site Supporter
I'll expand a bit on my original post. The introduction of quick change systems was a bonus. To change from pellet/method/cage feeder or inline bomb takes seconds and so the need for less tip rods.
If its winter carp and silvers l'd still set 3 waggler rods, silvers only, just the 2.

CarpCatcher86

Just having some fun on another thread about rod numbers, but its does beggar believe at times, just how many rods these match guys carry? I normally carry my pole, float rod and a feeder. Often, just one of the above if i'm confident of the conditions I'm going to fish in. Watched a You-Tube clip, fishing the Trent with 3 Acolytes all set up at different depths. Now he is sponsored, buts what is wrong with taking 5 minutes to change the rod you have? I bet 99% of the anglers watching that clip only own the one rod, so who are they appealing to? I must say, I do prefer the videos designed for the average angler. Would it be the top 5% that carry all that much gear?
I think the youtube videos you mention are made for a reason, a lot would disagree. There will be someone out there, or many someones who will see such videos on youtube featuring a sponsored angler easily catching loads of fish using every item of tackle from their sponsor, including multiple float and feeder rods for different distances (add preferred excuse here) and think that if they want to catch as many fish as easily as afore mentioned sponsored angler, they have to buy every item of gear they are using. Or do they simply make such videos on youtube to show you the range of gear available or to tell you how good it is?

G0zzer2

Site Supporter
I think the youtube videos you mention are made for a reason, a lot would disagree. There will be someone out there, or many someones who will see such videos on youtube featuring a sponsored angler easily catching loads of fish using every item of tackle from their sponsor, including multiple float and feeder rods for different distances (add preferred excuse here) and think that if they want to catch as many fish as easily as afore mentioned sponsored angler, they have to buy every item of gear they are using. Or do they simply make such videos on youtube to show you the range of gear available or to tell you how good it is?
I am probably the most sceptical Maggot Drowner in that I believe that the vast majority of people are stupid. But even I don't think that there are numbers of anglers who (to use your words) "think that if they want to catch as many fish as easily as aforementioned they have to buy every item of tackle they (the anglers in the videos) are using."

The reasons a person would take several made-up rods to make a video are simply that it gives them the greatest options to catch the most fish in the time available. Not, either, to show what is available. And did the angler stress, in the video you watched how good all this tackle was? I guess not. He would be too busy catching fish...

You are seeing a conspiracy where none exists.

Northantslad

'Any indications?
Some of the river match ones are a good watch, and of course you see it (several of the same rod set up differently) but not something that stands out for me. It's more how they put a good few pound of fish together, which some days i suppose only occurs due to their readiness for all eventualities. The independent ones are more real i find and they don't push the kit in comparison with other offerings.

I would do the same (get the kit not necessarily pounds of fish!) if i fished that level of river match, as although it's not an issue when pleasure fishing or on a small level match to keep altering the waggler depth to keep up or down with the chub for example, it would waste valuable time if catch rate needed to raise.

Just a longer explanation of really what others have said, time is money at those levels. I am definitely with the OP on the need for these videos being real, as whilst there is some useful stuff out there, there is also some tack to, that do no-one much good, especially any new anglers that have appeared in the last few months looking for guidance.

Last edited:

CarpCatcher86

I am probably the most sceptical Maggot Drowner in that I believe that the vast majority of people are stupid. But even I don't think that there are numbers of anglers who (to use your words) "think that if they want to catch as many fish as easily as aforementioned they have to buy every item of tackle they (the anglers in the videos) are using."

The reasons a person would take several made-up rods to make a video are simply that it gives them the greatest options to catch the most fish in the time available. Not, either, to show what is available. And did the angler stress, in the video you watched how good all this tackle was? I guess not. He would be too busy catching fish...

You are seeing a conspiracy where none exists.
How many anglers, match or pleasure would carry so much gear if they hadn't seen someone else doing so first? They see someone else do it and think that they must follow suit.

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
If you compare the matchman of today with those of, say the 70/80's, it is mind boggling how much gear is carried to a peg nowadays. Obviously, a lot of this is due to the popularity of the pole and all the required extras (rollers, roosts etc) + multiple keepnets. If you take 'match carp' commercials out of the equation do we actually catch more fish nowadays.

rudd

Site Supporter
I have set up four waggler rods - all identical at times.
Two with different sized sliders and the other two with fixed wagglers set at different depths with different sized floats to suit. All in ready rod bags, no need to plumb up or change hooklength, hook size to change baits etc and much quicker to search depths as groundbait settles or if fish come up in water than moving shot about.
No different to a pole angler with multiple top kits or a specimen angler with four rods out.

richox12

I think you're reading too much into it. In making a video time is money. No-ones going to fish, shoot some film and then stop and wait whist the angler tackles down and tackles back up again umpteen times before filming again. Waste of time.

Foul hooked

the amount of kit i used to carry was getting to the point where i was in serious danger of doing my back in! every item of tackle i owned was taken down to the bank, and without fail most of it would stay in the rod bag/seat box as i would invariably set up my pole (i only have one spare top kit) a float rod and a feeder. That would leave a couple of spare float rods, a spare landing net handle, umbrella, carp rod and enough bank sticks etc to keep the local ironmongers going for months. Not to mention three spare reels, tackle box full of unused gear and rigs and rod rest tops etc in my box, second keepnet, two landing nets (one large one small) in my net bag. (i even carried my net bag to the bank on waters where keepnets are banned). Since lockdown in November, i have started fishing the smaller venues where the need to be mobile has made me reconsider what i actually take. I now think about where and what i am going to be fishing for and just take the minimum that i will need. Why lug around a 2.5lb test curve carp rod, large baitrunner reel (with spare spool), a box full of various sized method feeders and a kg bag of pellets if i am fishing for small roach in the river? If the forecast is good, then the umbrella stays at home (or if not sure the boot of the car). If i want to change my rig, then i use quick release clips to switch feeders or simply adjust my depth/shotting etc). I always use eyed float rubbers when waggler fishing so changing float is a quick and simple process.
I understand that in top matches time is of the essence but otherwise i am sure we all carry far more than is needed. If i am fishing for pleasure, and was unfortunate enough to break a rod/reel etc then i am pretty sure that that would take the pleasure out of the day for me anyway.

nejohn

Site Supporter
I tend to disagree. You can definitely own too many rods. I most certainly do. However, I'm happy as Larry to have been able to try them all. My apparent inability to sell any of them is the problem. ;)
I blame the tackle companies... If they didn't keep bringing new rods out we wouldn't have to buy them...... I have done well this year and not bought any....... But it is only January 15th..!!

Pole-Fisher-90

Site Supporter
I have many rods set up and around 10 top kits in matches, time is precious and it’s these little things that account for a few extra fish in the net sometimes

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
I blame the tackle companies... If they didn't keep bringing new rods out we wouldn't have to buy them...... I have done well this year and not bought any....... But it is only January 15th..!!
I'm getting out of touch, I think I only bought two float rods last year. One of those was a spare for a favourite rod I already own. I did try to buy another rod just after Christmas. Sadly, it being in stock turned out to be a website glitch. Without being able to get that particular rod, I doubt that there will be any new buys on the horizon for me.

nejohn

Site Supporter
I'm getting out of touch, I think I only bought two float rods last year. One of those was a spare for a favourite rod I already own. I did try to buy another rod just after Christmas. Sadly, it being in stock turned out to be a website glitch. Without being able to get that particular rod, I doubt that there will be any new buys on the horizon for me.
I am waiting for a good deal on a certain French website on a particular rod, other than that the only thing I might do is take a punt on one of the matrix horizon pro's... Other than that it will only be if something interesting appears on the second hand market