I do wonder at times?

crumpercatcher.

Site Supporter
When fishing on the Ribble I will often (swim distance from car depending) have 3 float rods set up. Longest rod set up with a big bolo float if I have to go far out, or the fish back off. Usual 15/17 ft mid river bolo / stick set up for silvers & chub. Another rod set up to fish close in or mid river but with stronger line and a bigger hook if I think barbel or big chub might turn up.

Would usually have a tip rod with me as well.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Then there's carrying it. I hear about similar set ups on the Severn and it is not practical as you have so many stiles so I'm amazed how people do it. It's probably the difference between an amateur pleasure angler and a top match angler, although I like to watch videos from both. Those who take lots of identical rods must also have ready rod holdalls as it would take too long to set up otherwise.

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
Only top level anglers would set-up that much stuff...I fish opens and odd club matches, and no one sets up 3 waggler rods to cover different depths, plus 3 feeder rods, plus multiple poles !! Admittedly when I’m fishing tunnel in the summer, I will have about a dozen top kits on the roost, and at some point use them all ...If I’m fishing a bigger lake in the summer , I’d set up a PW rod, bomb rod, feeder rod and pole, but never multiple rods to do one job, and I don’t believe the average club/match angler on here would , despite what they say ! Hell, I don’t even own that many rods 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

smiffy

Site Supporter
What chefster said.
Go out and fish a few matches and you probably won’t see anyone set up like this. World champs aside😉
If he was sponsored chances are he will have had to pay for those rods. Sponsorship helps but it never funds this pastime. Even the elite have to work for their sponsors.

Reuben

Site Supporter
You have misrepresented what I'm saying, most don't own 3 identical rods for one type of fishing. Clearly most anglers own maybe a dozen, but they done take them all fishing each time they go. Please read the post again Reuben and you will understand what I mean. :LOL:
Sorry Richard, you’re correct I misunderstood.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Yeah I think it’s just proper high end match anglers that are extreme enough to have different rods for different depths. You do need a few rods to cover most bases though.

For river fishing I take 2 to 4 rods with me but I mostly just have a float rod and feeder rod set up. That is mostly fine but it is a faff having to re tackle from stick to waggler and vice versa so I am going to get another float rod so I can have both methods set up at once. I have got two float rods now but I don’t like using them side by side as one is so much better than the other plus I’d like to get one a foot longer for the stick and keep what I have for waggler. I’d also ultimately like a bit of a stepped up feeder rod as well so I can have a heavier feeder in reserve for longer casts or full flow but that’s less important than the float rod as I float fish way more than I feeder fish.

Then for Stillwaters I again generally take 2-4 rods but haven’t historically feeder fished Stillwaters so tend to just set up a light float rod plus heavier float rod/Avon which always feels enough to me but might go up if I start feeder fishing them more.

For both river and Stillwaters I sometimes take 5-6 rods but that’s rare these days as the effort carrying them isn’t worth the very occasional use some of them get.

Then for sea depends what I’m doing but generally take 3 rods and set them all up which tend to be a 6-12lb, a 12-20lb and a general purpose spinning rod in this county and then abroad it’s generally 3 spinning of rods various lengths and powers.

Last edited:

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
the majority of the time, in matches or even on a pleasure session

I would at max only set up 4 rods, two feeder, two float,

feeders would be a method and cage or crumb (though now I use a ICS style set up, it could be perm one from four)

the float rods would be a close in wag and either a pellet wag or distance wag

and rarely do I set up more than 6 topkits for the pole and a few for the whip

but it still all depends on the venue, half the time I wouldnt set up all that

Cobweb

Site Supporter
I normally carry three made up rods with me one at least of which will be a float rod of some sort. I'll switch between a pre-selected float or a p/w rod, a method, bomb, standard or distance feeder(s) as appropriate for the venue and conditions. Two of the rods will stay in their sleeves or holdall unless needed.

Rick123

Site Supporter
Now I’m confused......

:eek::eek:It seems it takes little to confuse you Sir? :love: :love: Don't be buddy, think of this. When was the last time you took three identical float rods with matching reels around £900 worth to trot on your local river? I guess most experienced anglers, and match-men too take enough gear to cover different situations. Some even say they take too much most times, but putting up a video like that, I simply asked who does that? What audience is he aiming for?
On a deeper level, does it put more people off saying, "God I cannot afford one of those rods, let alone three" He is sponsored and is part of the Drennan make up and a top notch angler besides. But I fear many will see this as a flaunting of high quality tackle and not see past the costs involved? But it's only my view mate?

G0zzer2

Site Supporter
Unwittingly Rick123 has hit upon a problem that most PEOPLE - not necessarily anglers - have.

Put simply, if an angler has three rods set up at different depths he/she is far more likely to have a quick look at a different depth, because all they have to do is put one rod down and pick up another.

It's human nature. I'll sit there fishing a pole with a big bait wondering if I should fish a much smaller bait. If I've got a rig already set up it takes only seconds to try. If I haven't, it's going to take minutes to alter or set up a new rig, and I probably won't bother.

It can be the difference between success and failure, and if someone is making a video they don't want to fail!

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
I might set up initially with three similar rods for a river match with different size floats for example but with river fishing you tend to start off with what experience tells you should be right and then make small adjustments to depth and shotting positions to suit the conditions on the day.
Having made various adjustments until you catch better if you then wanted to rest that line the last thing you want to do is start changing the rig you have worked out to be right.
Most of the time two float rods is fine unless its a case of different lines or waggler even because the whip or long pole is playing a bigger part now in matches at venues like Shrewsbury.

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
30 years ago that’s exactly what I would do on the Middle Trent .... four tricast aristocrats ...
two for the stick line and two for the waggler line .... set up with vartiations (depths or smaller hooks etc)
loosefeed two lines and rotate all day long to keep the roach coming.

these days I tend to carry only up to three float rods ... but often apply the same principle.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
On a deeper level, does it put more people off saying, "God I cannot afford one of those rods, let alone three" He is sponsored and is part of the Drennan make up and a top notch angler besides. But I fear many will see this as a flaunting of high quality tackle and not see past the costs involved? But it's only my view mate?
For me, maybe match fishing, especially on rivers, as I don't know how people get their stuff to their peg. But for pleasure fishing, I get enough pleasure out of fishing one stick float rod and sticking with it, with a waggler rod and feeder rod as back up, it's not often I will set all three up. Even when Barbel fishing, some people will take the kitchen sink, I'm happy with just one rod set up.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
It’s good point that too many options can cause confusion. Any more than 3 rods set up at once and I’d find myself chopping and changing way too much whereas with just 2 or 3 I can be a lot clearer in my mind what to do when.

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
30 years ago that’s exactly what I would do on the Middle Trent .... four tricast aristocrats ...
two for the stick line and two for the waggler line .... set up with vartiations (depths or smaller hooks etc)
loosefeed two lines and rotate all day long to keep the roach coming.

these days I tend to carry only up to three float rods ... but often apply the same principle.
you use an aristocrat for the waggler !

Heathen !

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
:eek::eek:It seems it takes little to confuse you Sir? :love: :love: Don't be buddy, think of this. When was the last time you took three identical float rods with matching reels around £900 worth to trot on your local river? I guess most experienced anglers, and match-men too take enough gear to cover different situations. Some even say they take too much most times, but putting up a video like that, I simply asked who does that? What audience is he aiming for?
I’m confused because your opening post was highlighting that you thought it beggared belief that someone had three rods set up, then when @Godber said he does the self same thing, you said....

Godber. I'd call that modest, about right to cover most conditions, spot on.

..... is that not contradicting your OP, thus my confusion.

PearTree

Calder Exile
Site Supporter

Heathen !
IMHO the hollow tipped version is a superb waggler rod. I have two and still use them, and yes I set them both up on a lot of matches (besides other rods). One with a bigger float for fishing on the bottom and another with a lighter float and shotting for catching up in the water.

Deejay8

Site Supporter
It depends on who the video is aimed at. If it's a matchman, then his target audience are likely to be matchmen, and they are either used to setting up multiple rods, or aim to be able to in the future. If it is aimed at pleasure fishermen, then it's overkill, but it's up to the viewing pleasure angler to realise that they don't have to go to the expense of tackling up a multitude of rods to enjoy a good session,and just focus on the techniques shown.

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter

Heathen !
I subscribe to the same rod for both stick & waggler school. The aristo spliced tip is still quite mellow in the mid section so worked well for both.

IMHO the hollow tipped version is a superb waggler rod. I have two and still use them, and yes I set them both up on a lot of matches (besides other rods). One with a bigger float for fishing on the bottom and another with a lighter float and shotting for catching up in the water.
I have one of those as well - really forgiving for Zorro strikes! lovely rods in their day.