I do wonder at times?

Rick123

Site Supporter
Just having some fun on another thread about rod numbers, but its does beggar believe at times, just how many rods these match guys carry? I normally carry my pole, float rod and a feeder. Often, just one of the above if i'm confident of the conditions I'm going to fish in. Watched a You-Tube clip, fishing the Trent with 3 Acolytes all set up at different depths. Now he is sponsored, buts what is wrong with taking 5 minutes to change the rod you have? I bet 99% of the anglers watching that clip only own the one rod, so who are they appealing to? I must say, I do prefer the videos designed for the average angler. Would it be the top 5% that carry all that much gear?

Reuben

Site Supporter
Can’t agree with you on that one buddy. I bet that 99% of members on here own more than one rod as well as most other anglers.

Jonathan Sutcliffe-Bland

Site Supporter
I'm a canal pleasure angler. I have two Daiwa air rod holdalls. 1# contains my pole, 13 whips, 2 landing net poles, cupping kit, and umbrella.
2# contains 4 tip rods of various lengths, 3 float rods of various lengths, 1 stick float rod, 2 landing net poles, two extendable rod rests, and umbrella.

I only ever take one holdall 🙂

chris1967

Site Supporter
The videos are made for you to take out what you need and implement it into your own style of angling and learn from them ,who cares how many rods they take ,i don't have to carry them ,you don't have to carry them ,so who cares
If you took your car to repaired and all he had was one adjustable spanner would you think any differently to that or would you be glad that the fella did'nt waste all his money on spanners etc
I do so hate these match angler bashing threads .

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
Site Supporter
all about being efficient, if i am using a rod then i will never have just one set up, if you match fish its about catching as much and as fast as you can.

Got 6 holdalls with multiple rods in each all set up and ready to go, have a least one duplicate of each rod

doesnt mean you have to fish with more than one rod if you dont want to, each to their own

Last edited:

Jonathan Sutcliffe-Bland

Site Supporter
In a match scenario time is of the essence. If the angler breaks off they can at least cast out another rod whilst retying the snapped off rod. In regards to sponsored anglers there is very few fully sponsored anglers. Yes some may get free kit, or reduced priced kit, but most only get the sponsors bait.

Last edited:

Me and my lad

Site Supporter
Great observation. In my match holdall one side is my pole, margin pole and whip. The other side is a waggler rod pellet wagglr rod bream tip rod, carp tip rod picker and stick rod. Why? Because you can bet i would leave the wrong one at home...

Rick123

Site Supporter
Can’t agree with you on that one buddy. I bet that 99% of members on here own more than one rod as well as most other anglers.

You have misrepresented what I'm saying, most don't own 3 identical rods for one type of fishing. Clearly most anglers own maybe a dozen, but they done take them all fishing each time they go. Please read the post again Reuben and you will understand what I mean. :LOL:

Godber

Priapism! ladies?
Site Supporter
Certainly this time of the year with clearer water and fishing further than the pole line, l have in the past set up, 3 waggler rods, 3 tip rods and a pole.

grey

Site Supporter
Not just match fishing - I'll usual have at least a couple of rods set up pleasure fishing with different depth, hook size, link length etc... whatever alternative is most likely to benefit the catch rate.

Most rods I own are part of a pair or I have a similar model ready to pair up with the first.

Rick123

Site Supporter
The videos are made for you to take out what you need and implement it into your own style of angling and learn from them ,who cares how many rods they take ,i don't have to carry them ,you don't have to carry them ,so who cares
If you took your car to repaired and all he had was one adjustable spanner would you think any differently to that or would you be glad that the fella did'nt waste all his money on spanners etc
I do so hate these match angler bashing threads .
Who's' bashing match anglers, maybe you're too sensitive?. It's the Videos I'm talking about not the individual, hence I did not mention any names. Another case of not really reading the post and jumping to an early conclusion. The question was, had you read the post properly, who is that appealing to when as mentioned above, most anglers carry a modest amount of kit for their days fishing, not 3 identical rods.

Rick123

Site Supporter
Certainly this time of the year with clearer water and fishing further than the pole line, l have in the past set up, 3 waggler rods, 3 tip rods and a pole.
Godber. I'd call that modest, about right to cover most conditions, spot on.

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
You have misrepresented what I'm saying, most don't own 3 identical rods for one type of fishing. Clearly most anglers own maybe a dozen, but they done take them all fishing each time they go. Please read the post again Reuben and you will understand what I mean. :LOL:
Most fishing at a top level will. Why would you try and compete with one hand tied behind your back.

Rick123

Site Supporter
Not just match fishing - I'll usual have at least a couple of rods set up pleasure fishing with different depth, hook size, link length etc... whatever alternative is most likely to benefit the catch rate.
Spot on, I'd say that's about normal.

Me and my lad

Site Supporter
Sorry sir. Guilty too.

chris1967

Site Supporter
Who's' bashing match anglers, maybe you're too sensitive?. It's the Videos I'm talking about not the individual, hence I did not mention any names. Another case of not really reading the post and jumping to an early conclusion. The question was, had you read the post properly, who is that appealing to when as mentioned above, most anglers carry a modest amount of kit for their days fishing, not 3 identical rods.
sensitive me lmfao lol

nejohn

Site Supporter
Unless I really know the venue or are roving a stretch then my minimum set up for a river would be 1 stick float rod + 1 waggler rod + 1 feeder rod, however as I said that would be my minimum and more often than not will have at least 2 or 3 stickfloat rods set up (usually 2x 13ft with different weight floats and shotting patterns + 1 longer rod if conditions allow) that is why I often buy my river float rods in pairs so that when I swap between setups the rod actions will be the same, I will often have 4 daiwa 13ft spectron M2's set up, 2 x spliced tip for stick float and 2 hollow tip for waggler however if I was doing that then the chances of me carrying a pole to a venue where I would use the above approach would probably be nil so the carrying 6+ 3 piece rods to the venue would not be a bind