I can't catch Barbel.

Barbelcatcher

Site Supporter
ARCH - please see PM - baited your swim up :p - but then no need - they are waiting nose to tail for you.

Scribe

Official Supplier of Pork Pies to the Drowners
Site Supporter
Lost my first river barbel on Saturday, snapped my hooklength on its final surge.

Heading back on Saturday!

Oh man I feel gutted for you. Fingers crossed you get to land your first, if you haven't already. :upthumb:

rudd

Site Supporter
Have two friends off to Wye next week (jealous 😣) and hope they catch.
Its their third trip - one a year.
Year one - full flood - they caught
Year two - very !ow and clear - they caught.
This year - I hope they dont blank!

Arch

Site Supporter
I don't know how much relevance there is to this, but on the Barbel fishing world forum, one of the members stated that the year after bad floods, the rivers never fish that well. He said the the river bed changes so much due to all the features being moved about, and the weed going, that it takes a year to get back to normal. The fish holding spots from the year before are gone, along with the fish. They just move to a better spot.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
I don't know how much relevance there is to this, but on the Barbel fishing world forum, one of the members stated that the year after bad floods, the rivers never fish that well. He said the the river bed changes so much due to all the features being moved about, and the weed going, that it takes a year to get back to normal. The fish holding spots from the year before are gone, along with the fish. They just move to a better spot.
I’d go along with that. Some unfancied pegs on our stretch have had some decent fish out so far this year. Pegs you would have given a wide birth to last year.

squimp

Site Supporter

I would agree too. Me and a mate were fishing the Severn (7 Stoke etc) Before the big summer flood and the 2 years after we didn’t catch nearly as many fish.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I now seemingly can't catch Barbel over 3lb or so. It would take up to 5 of my fish to match some of the catches reported on here. :ROFLMAO: :unsure:

squimp

Site Supporter
Ya can`t catch barbel because the catfish have ate them all...

very good.......

Part of the problem is also that lots of carp got washed into the river(s) by that flood. One afternoon I had 3 double figure carp from the Severn ! I even caught a fish of about 13lb on a deadbait whilst zander fishing. I thought I’d hooked a record zander, until I realised it was fighting like a carp......

same issue on the Thames above Oxford - lots of carp got washed into the river in that big summer flood. Linear fisheries now have a fence between their lakes and the Windrush - to keep the carp IN during flood conditions. It also keeps the otters out.

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
I got bored at work yesterday so slid out of the office at 4pm to go down the river. No joy.

Ill get there. Eventually.
Neskin - based on previous conversations I assume you're fishing either the Gt Ouse or Ivel.
TBH - the Barbel are few and far between on both rivers - despite the EA efforts at restocking.

good luck!

Neskin

Neskin - based on previous conversations I assume you're fishing either the Gt Ouse or Ivel.
TBH - the Barbel are few and far between on both rivers - despite the EA efforts at restocking.

good luck!

Yes mate, I live a 2 minute walk from the Ouse and a 5 minute drive from the Ivel, so I'm going to keep chugging at it.

Also work in Wolverton so thinking about Adams Mill too, although I understand that this is a shadow of its former self. You’ve got to be in it to win it.

Im thinking of doing a few days on the Wye next year but I’m determined to get something out more locally beforehand!

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
Willington or Great Barford?
I'm at Willington on Sunday for the Bedford Hospital Cup. I know the odd one gets caught down there on the Blunham stretch - but they have matches every week and I'd be surprised if more than a couple get hooked all season.

Neskin

Willington or Great Barford?
I'm at Willington on Sunday for the Bedford Hospital Cup. I know the odd one gets caught down there on the Blunham stretch - but they have matches every week and I'd be surprised if more than a couple get hooked all season.

I’m in Great Barford. Got my Blunham ticket this season so I’ve fished Willington a couple of times. There seems to be a lot of matches down there which is fantastic. I’ve never seen so many on a river match before. Last time I went down it stretched all the way from Dovecote to Danish camp!

Was thinking of a little roving session down at Willington on Sunday but sounds like it’ll be rammed again!

I fish the local blunham/ivel stretches for Chub and perch with no real expectation for Barbel, ill usually travel up to biggleswade if I’m on a mission to try to get one.

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
I’m in Great Barford. Got my Blunham ticket this season so I’ve fished Willington a couple of times. There seems to be a lot of matches down there which is fantastic. I’ve never seen so many on a river match before. Last time I went down it stretched all the way from Dovecote to Danish camp!

Was thinking of a little roving session down at Willington on Sunday but sounds like it’ll be rammed again!

I fish the local blunham/ivel stretches for Chub and perch with no real expectation for Barbel, ill usually travel up to biggleswade if I’m on a mission to try to get one.
Willington should be closed for the match on sunday - it's only a 50 pegger this year due to Covid restrictions and a mess up with the availability of kempston and queens park. I think it's 40 pegs on Blunham's water and 10 on the Vauxhall stretch below Danish Camp.
In recent years it's been in the 60-80 pegs size (so a big match these days), but when I used to fish the Hospital Cup in the 1980s it was over 400 pegs!

The Blunham Club has a thriving match calendar through the year now - so hats off the the guys who have run and supported it.
They created a "big money final" with qualifiers through the summer format - which seems to attract a few more. I think it's £500 to the winner of the final.

Neskin

Willington should be closed for the match on sunday - it's only a 50 pegger this year due to Covid restrictions and a mess up with the availability of kempston and queens park. I think it's 40 pegs on Blunham's water and 10 on the Vauxhall stretch below Danish Camp.
In recent years it's been in the 60-80 pegs size (so a big match these days), but when I used to fish the Hospital Cup in the 1980s it was over 400 pegs!

The Blunham Club has a thriving match calendar through the year now - so hats off the the guys who have run and supported it.
They created a "big money final" with qualifiers through the summer format - which seems to attract a few more. I think it's £500 to the winner of the final.

Its great to see, even at the size it is. Maybe ill have a wander down for a look.

The last match, i went down there I ended up pulling one of the old boys out of the river after he slid in with all his gear. Landed on top of his Normark which luckily survived. The banks are quite high on some of the blunham pegs.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Yes mate, I live a 2 minute walk from the Ouse and a 5 minute drive from the Ivel, so I'm going to keep chugging at it.

Well that sounds ideal! I’d love to be even close to that close to a river. It’s only about on average 25 minute drive to most my Thames stretches which is fine for proper planned most of the day sessions but would love to have a decent river even just 10 minutes down the road for impromptu short sessions.

Neskin

Well that sounds ideal! I’d love to be even close to that close to a river. It’s only about on average 25 minute drive to most my Thames stretches which is fine for proper planned most of the day sessions but would love to have a decent river even just 10 minutes down the road for impromptu short sessions.

its pretty convenient to be honest! The area i live Im pretty spoilt, lots of water to go at.