• 'TOMMY PICKERING - BORN TO WIN' COMPETITION

7 x Signed Hardback copies of 'Tommy Pickering's Autobiography - Born to Win' to be won
    And if that's not enough - A Maggotdrowning Sticker to go with each one !
    CLICK HERE TO ENTER

(Click the X on the top-right to close this notice)

I can't catch Barbel.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Potentially controversial comment here but I actually prefer chub to barbel. They just look and act more like a proper fish to me and are more catchable in more different ways.

Arch

Site Supporter
Another Barbel blank last night, saved a whitewash with three small Chub. No one else caught a Barbel on the stretch either.

Talking to some other lads, and they all said the head of fish in both the upper Trent and Dove is now very small. But what are in there are good sized fish. One guy even said he fishes the middle reaches more because of the head of fish in there. I think i've just got to get my timing right, maybe after some rain is when to fish it. A bit of extra water and some colour.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Another Barbel blank last night, saved a whitewash with three small Chub. No one else caught a Barbel on the stretch either.

Talking to some other lads, and they all said the head of fish in both the upper Trent and Dove is now very small. But what are in there are good sized fish. One guy even said he fishes the middle reaches more because of the head of fish in there. I think i've just got to get my timing right, maybe after some rain is when to fish it. A bit of extra water and some colour.
If it’s any consolation Arch I only had one tiny Barbel yesterday evening. I fished with my dad from 4.30pm until 9.30pm. I set two rods up. My dad having the first bite me having the second. Saying that, we only had two bites to strike at. Here’s me trying to make a tiny Barbel look like a 10 pounder. Proper Angling Times shot. 😂. Good luck with finding your whiskers. 👍 6FFD793B-9063-41A4-B7E9-0B8473F1FEF0.jpeg 72558C2A-4666-4082-B00A-3A7368826AD3.jpeg

Arch

Site Supporter
A stretch called Cuttlebrook, just below Swarkestone bridge on the Trent.

Spoke with a guy down there I know last night, and he's not had a Barbel this season either.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
A stretch called Cuttlebrook, just below Swarkestone bridge on the Trent.

Spoke with a guy down there I know last night, and he's not had a Barbel this season either.
Its quite tough all over Arch. Unless you run off and join the circus at Collingham that is. Stick with it matey. They'll be one with your name on somewhere. Nice looking stretch though.

Arch

Site Supporter
Don't worry, I haven't caught a Barbel. :(

But one of our club ponds is stuffed with small Rudd, There was a group of us tasked with catching as many of them as we could, and relocate them to another pond. Between us we managed 27lbs, of which I contributed 14lbs of them. Basically, they are starving as I managed up to 10 fish on a single, stretched Maggot. Fished a whip, and it was a bite a chuck for the 3 hours I was there. Hopefully, they'll do a little better in the new pond. The club intend to feed them and grow them on.

38e8bece-7695-4deb-a182-c08177b2fb96.jpg

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Don't worry, I haven't caught a Barbel. :(

But one of our club ponds is stuffed with small Rudd, There was a group of us tasked with catching as many of them as we could, and relocate them to another pond. Between us we managed 27lbs, of which I contributed 14lbs of them. Basically, they are starving as I managed up to 10 fish on a single, stretched Maggot. Fished a whip, and it was a bite a chuck for the 3 hours I was there. Hopefully, they'll do a little better in the new pond. The club intend to feed them and grow them on.

View attachment 40078
To be fair Arch they don’t look a bad size. I help net a farm pond in winter and what the farmer does is swap them with the EA for carp. We got just over 200lb out last year. Oh ... and any carp over 15lb get swapped also. It’s only a small pond. Maybe 15 pegs.

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
Nothing worse than a fishery with more starving fish than it can support.
What's that,they are Rudd!!!!! 😂😂

We have a similar problem on the club Silvers pool (that nobody really bothers with) and the introduction of a few dozen big Perch and four Pike is proving to be a good idea.
We can't fish for the Pike intentionally but you know when you have hooked one close in.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
The problem with rudd when they get too numerous is the way they feed on the surface as they can get like bleak and become impenetrable. They also seem a lot more susceptible to stunting size wise than other similar species. Both normally happens in fisheries without perch, I’ve never come across them in plague proportions of small fish where there’s something to naturally thin the numbers.