I can't catch Barbel.

Arch

Site Supporter
As the title.

I've fished 4 time this season, 3 times on the Dove, once on the Trent. I'm yet to have a Barbel. I've had 3 fish, 2 Chub and a Rainbow Trout. On Friday I sat next to someone who'd had 2 Barbel before I got there, and another after I'd left. Last night I fished the same swim again. I had 1 chub, but the guy upstream had a Barbel. There's been Barbel coming out, not loads, but enough to keep me interested, but I just don't seem to be able to catch any.

This is the rig I use. With either a feeder or a lead.

IMG_2551 (Edited).JPG

Pretty standard.

Bait wise. I fish the feeder upstream/infront of me with some sort of Halibut G/B and a 15mm Halibut boilie on the hook. Downstream, I fish a single Boilie and loose feed Boilies to suit. The downstream Boilie of choice is spicy tuna sweet chilli at the moment. Change bait is a big pellet wrapped in paste, with paste wrapped around the gripper lead. Loose fed pellets.

I'm not putting that much bait in, as per being told I was feeding too much by one of the regular guys who catches a few. Bait wise, I'd be looking to change but not sure what to go to. I've had fish on the tuna and chilli boilie, but now I've lost confidence in it.

The rivers I fish aren't loaded with Barbel, there are areas where there are some, but it's finding them. I'm also not in a position to go that often, maybe once in the week and once at the weekend. TBH, I'm getting a little frustrated. Any ideas on what I could do different to actually catch one.

Cheers.

Total

Site Supporter
@Arch....Nothing wrong with your rig etc....Your an experienced enough fisherman....You ain't getting on them, or had/have them in front of you....End of mate....;)(y)

crumpercatcher.

Site Supporter
One of the problems at this time of year is dozens and dozens of anglers on a stretch. All chucking in a couple of kilos of pellets each and half a kilo to a kilo of boilies. Add the same upstream of the stretch and downstream of the stretch and the fish are stuffed.

DomCrtr1975

An Idiot looking for his Village!
...i think i see your problem, there is no bait on the hair! :LOL:

But seriously, the rig looks fine - i'm sure once you hook one, they'll come along like buses!

Arch

Site Supporter
I went last night, had the Chub early doors at 5pm on meat, then nothing. Packed up at midnight ish without another sign. I'm not finding it very exciting.

squimp

Site Supporter
I think reducing the feed still further might help. On the Kennet at one stage the right method was a single pellet cast out all alone.....

I’d be tempted to put a small PVA mesh bag or stick on the upstream rod and then just loose feed the occasional broken bit of boilie. Just to get a trail of smell rather than food drifting down the river.

im not sure what your hooklink is but it looks to me like some kind of Weighted braid. I would consider a straight flurocarbon hooklink and think hard about how long it really needs to be. The hook/hair bit looks fine.

P.s Just read your last post about numbers - if people are really catching 30 doubles a season then there are plenty of fish about. You need to find the right locations and then stick at it with a decent bait and strong gear. Then you will definitely catch them.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Yeah what Ian said!

I don’t really catch enough barbel to comment but that said I find on rivers with enough barbel in during summer conditions going for a bit of a catch all unselective approach will see you catch the odd barbel anyway so maybe worth ago? It works on the Severn anyway.

mimississ

Site Supporter
Don't worry about it mate,, I'm same been 3 times on the aire,,,,, caught chub,, skimmers,, eels by the bucket load,, but no barbel as yet,,, but saying that,, I didn't get my first one last year till end of July,,,,, keep yer pecker up

Arch

Site Supporter
The lads getting amongst them are fishing 5 nights a week, plenty of re captures I'd imagine.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
To be fair, yes, as I've got one in my garden pond about 3lb lol

Arch

Site Supporter
I think reducing the feed still further might help. On the Kennet at one stage the right method was a single pellet cast out all alone.....

I’d be tempted to put a small PVA mesh bag or stick on the upstream rod and then just loose feed the occasional broken bit of boilie. Just to get a trail of smell rather than food drifting down the river.

im not sure what your hooklink is but it looks to me like some kind of Weighted braid. I would consider a straight flurocarbon hooklink and think hard about how long it really needs to be. The hook/hair bit looks fine.

P.s Just read your last post about numbers - if people are really catching 30 doubles a season then there are plenty of fish about. You need to find the right locations and then stick at it with a decent bait and strong gear. Then you will definitely catch them.

It's Drennan anchor braid. It's not coated. I use Korda supernatural on my other rod. I fished a blockend feeder full of broken up boilies last night to just get some scent in the water. Loose fed the odd boilie as well.

squimp

Site Supporter
If the competition is anglers doing 5 nights a Week then you are up against it.....

my response would be to try and work out the best conditions for a bite (probably when the river is up and coloured And probably not in the summer) And then ONLY go when I thought I was actually going to catch.

The alternative is fish every hour that god sends and grind them out. You might be keen enough to do that. But I can’t fish like that anymore; life is too short. My way is to find an edge and exploit it and fish as efficiently as possible.

Arch

Site Supporter
Yes, it was up and coloured last two nights. The lads catching live local, so can go at the drop of the hat, although, the guy on Friday was from Manchester. I'm 40 odd minutes away, so not too far. but have to go when I can. Most of the fish come out after dark. Due to work, I can only stay until 11pm. Coming from a match fishing background, sitting all night for one bite is hard work for me.

I could also do with a bait I've got confidence in. I haven't at the minute.