I am asking a favour

Silver fan 82

This is a cause which is very close to home. I’ve been sober for nine years and I’m doing fine but when I joined AA I was literally at deaths door. AA saved my life. There are Zoom meetings at the moment but have been no proper AA meetings since March. People in desperation need a meeting in a room with other (mostly recovered) alcoholics not a zoom meeting. This petition is asking the government to allow AA and other addiction support groups to meet. As friends I am asking you to support this petition and take a moment to sign it. The lack of meetings is costing many more lives than covid would if the meetings were allowed. People are allowed to meet in pubs and churches as well as in their workplaces. This is essential work which will genuinely save lives. If you feel you don’t agree with it then don’t sign it but I would really appreciate it if this thread didn’t descend into argument or frivolity. Thank you all in advance.

Signed marky. Congratulations to you and @chefster for staying sober.

Wise Owl

Disinterested Insouciant
Site Supporter
This is a cause which is very close to home. I’ve been sober for nine years and I’m doing fine but when I joined AA I was literally at deaths door. AA saved my life. There are Zoom meetings at the moment but have been no proper AA meetings since March. People in desperation need a meeting in a room with other (mostly recovered) alcoholics not a zoom meeting. This petition is asking the government to allow AA and other addiction support groups to meet. As friends I am asking you to support this petition and take a moment to sign it. The lack of meetings is costing many more lives than covid would if the meetings were allowed. People are allowed to meet in pubs and churches as well as in their workplaces. This is essential work which will genuinely save lives. If you feel you don’t agree with it then don’t sign it but I would really appreciate it if this thread didn’t descend into argument or frivolity. Thank you all in advance.

This week it goes to this post 👍
6952A348-D36A-4CD9-AFF9-743FCCE72853.jpeg

Deejay8

Site Supporter
Signed. A friend of mine runs a Narcotics Anonymous meeting. Usually 35 of them attend.They could only meet on Zoom from March until June. Without their support network, five of them relapsed during lockdown, including one who had been sober for 35 years. They managed to get two physical meetings under their belt, before Rule Of Six halted them again. There is going to be a massive cost to the nation in terms of mental problems due to the lockdowns.

Markywhizz

Clueless member
Site Supporter
Signed. A friend of mine runs a Narcotics Anonymous meeting. Usually 35 of them attend.They could only meet on Zoom from March until June. Without their support network, five of them relapsed during lockdown, including one who had been sober for 35 years. They managed to get two physical meetings under their belt, before Rule Of Six halted them again. There is going to be a massive cost to the nation in terms of mental problems due to the lockdowns.
We’ve been finding a similar thing in our area @Deejay8 . It’s a serious business. The hidden cost is in the would be newcomers who obviously aren’t able to make it to a first meeting. We usually have one or two a week but obviously it’s not happening at the moment. They are just left to struggle alone.