Hydrogen/gas ready boilers?

PJG

There is very little info on the web but does anyone know if current home boilers will need converting when the proposed new fuel hydrogen/gas starts from 2025? I don't want to have a new boiler fitted now that will need changing in just 3 years time. Thanks.

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
Account Locked
The new legislation will only mean that gas boilers will cease to be manufactured and new builds cannot have them fitted.
There will be many thousands still sat in warehouses and the industry won't scrap as it defeats the point of reducing carbon footprint.

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
Account Locked
The Greenstar Range has been able to since it's inception and can be converted to a higher percentage as required.
The market will be flooded with gas appliances and good deals will be had as the stocks reduce.
As the average life of a Combi is 10 years if buying now I wouldn't be worrying about the future too much.
Gas demand will outstrip the capacity to replace it for decades

Gaz9243

Most current boilers have the ability to run on a hydrogen mix. The supply of natural gas won’t be affected for a long time anyway, or it will bankrupt the country paying for people to have their current boiler swapped

Kev B

As and when the gas regs change for new domestic bolier Installaions, I would opt for a change out of the existing natural gas boiler and select the hydro 20% mix boiler if it ever gets provided through the grid system?? A new boiler would be provided with normally a 5 or even 7 year warranty if the Boiler is registered with the manufacturers. Just remember to use a Gas Safe registered Eng for any gas works, this can be checked on the Gas Safe web site.
I wouldn’t consider changing for many years, as the manufacturers will have to maintain a source of spares for many many years on conventional natural gas boilers, but don,t consider a heat pump, high capital cost along with repairs and poor performance on traditional radiator systems; I’m more concerened about which new pole to buy😂😂

RMNDIL

Site Supporter
My gas engineer, who has only recently serviced my W/B boilers, said that it would be more likely that electric versions would be fitted as new (who knows ?). But keep your gas one running for as long as they do (spares allowing) because only new build/fit would not be gas. No-one is going to make you take out your existing boiler. Same as with petrol & diesel cars. They aren't going to be taken off the road in the blink of an eye. You just won't be able to buy a new one.

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
Account Locked
"You just won't be able to buy a new one."
Not strictly true as there will be many thousands still in storage that can be legally sold and installed in old properties.

TrickyD

Site Supporter
Not strictly true as there will be many thousands still in storage that can be legally sold and installed in old properties.
Got 2 spare boilers in my loft ready to swap out if mine goes wrong.

RMNDIL

Site Supporter
Newly made & sold then. But it may well depend on how much 'grace' companies are given to sell stock. Either way, it doesn't really matter. You won't have to rip out your existing perfectly good & functional one come the time to fit new non-gas version. Same as my diesel car. I won't be forced to get rid & buy electric.

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
Account Locked
The sale of gas boilers can continue until 2035 and that will equate to thousands of products.
WB are still continuing to manufacture and sell gas products alongside alternative energy sources.

me

It will not happen in 2025.
On new builds we gave missed 2 dates already when a gas supply stops all together going into houses. The new date is 2025 and we will miss that date aswell . Its the same as all new houses were having solar paneled roofs went and never happened or all new builds were having electric car chargers and we still are only fitting them if you opt for one and pay extra from it on your house price