Hybrid or Hollow elastic

Stevo1s77

I’ve just brought a new pole with 7 top kits, 2 x match and 5 x power kits and looking to put elasticate with Preston Dura Slip or a hollow.

ive read and watched a number of videos/articles and this has probably made it more confusing...

The more I read about the dura slip the more I’m siding towards, but then the NG hollow and Preston Hollo comes into play (can get that in a bulk for for approx. £8.50 per elastic).

Keen to get users thoughts.

AdeB

Site Supporter
I've been using NG Ambercore for the last 3 years without issues, thinking of swapping to the NG Untra Core, it is similar to Slik.

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
I have pretty much exclusively switched from hollows to hybrid, I was trying KND hybrid, but have since switched to Dura Slip and will probably elasticate my new pole exclusively with it (except really light solids for silvers) I know Des Shipp has changed most of his topkits to it and he is also impressed with how long it lasts.

Simon Walsh

Site Supporter
What size of Dura slip will you be using across your new pole Chris
Thanks Simon

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Dura Slip hybrid is lovely stuff. I’ve changed two kits over to it to see what I thought. Made the mistake of going too light really. I put 9 and 11 in. Should have gone 11 and 13 really. It’s very soft and forgiving. I’ll change all my kits to Dura eventually. I’ve proper fell out out with Daiwa hydro these days. Doesn’t seem the elastic it used to be. My dad tried some Drennan and was swapped out the very next day. Said it was like going back 30 years. 🤷‍♂️

Stevo1s77

I have pretty much exclusively switched from hollows to hybrid, I was trying KND hybrid, but have since switched to Dura Slip and will probably elasticate my new pole exclusively with it (except really light solids for silvers) I know Des Shipp has changed most of his topkits to it and he is also impressed with how long it lasts.
That’s what I’m looking to do and certainly siding with dura slip and fitting my kits with: 9, 13 & 15 with maybe an extra one with 17 for when the daddy’s hit swim 😂

Griffo

Site Supporter
I've sort of been lucky, I stopped pole fishing years ago, hybrids & hollows didn't exist, just plain old solid Slip elastic, started back on the pole 18 months ago and used hollows, couldn't get on with it, can't explain why just didn't, switched to hybrid solid using originally the Nufish stuff, loved it, like most local tackle shops mine put in a big stock of Preston Hybrid (diameters of the Nufish and Preston are the same) so carried on using Preston, and although same diameter it seems to pull em back better. I have 1 match kit with No7 silvers and canals, 1 power kit No9 odd winter outing, 2 F1 short tops and 2 power kits with No11, most of my spring summer regular small commercial fishing, 2 power kits No13 bigger commercials or all out carp, 1 power top 2 with No15 for the margins. I think that's pretty much every scenario covered for me. 7 top kits and 2 short F1 kits.

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
What do you think of the 5 and 7 for silvers? Only because I use slip 6 for silvers and have not used below Duraslip 9 yet.
I have used the 5 Dura Slip for a few silvers matches this winter, it’s great for skimmers and better roach, I wouldn’t use it I was targeting fish below 5 or 6 ounces, but on most venues I fish, you need decent skimmers to win silvers matches.

Have landed carp to double figures on it as well - accidentals, not targeted.

bris

I have used the 5 Dura Slip for a few silvers matches this winter, it’s great for skimmers and better roach, I wouldn’t use it I was targeting fish below 5 or 6 ounces, but on most venues I fish, you need decent skimmers to win silvers matches.

Great, thank you. The 7 too heavy for silvers fishing? I’m just deciding whether to go with the 5 or 7 for two silvers top kits. Probably fishing More for skimmers

Griffo

Site Supporter
Great, thank you. The 7 too heavy for silvers fishing? I’m just deciding whether to go with the 5 or 7 for two silvers top kits. Probably fishing More for skimmers
I don't think the 7 is to heavy, I use it on the staini and the Don navigation lots of bits 6 to 12 oz and its nice and soft but handles the odd nice big roach, skimmer or big perch very well, But it's what your happy with 5 will do the job I'm sure (but havent used it).

Keith Sparky

Before the Welsh lockdown i have tried the 5 duraslip for silvers and skimmers as well and its been very good and also not bumping small roach....also handles decent winter F1 with a pulla with no problems....for out and out very small roach etc...I still use 3 or 4 original slip but if limited to one silvers skimmers elastic then the 5 dura is very good

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
No, the 7 would be good, it’s just been so cold lately, the 5 has done for everything.

baggy

Mark Saunders
Do you ever double up your kits with the same rated elastic?
I only fish for silvers, so I have multiple tops with same elastic. 4 x 3-5, 5 x 4-6, 5 x 6-8 5 x 8-10, 4 x 10-12 this means if I fish a venue whether it’s a commercial or natural I know I can set up more than a couple of tops plus have some spare if there is a disaster