Hybrid elastic musings

Paul Cresswell

Site Supporter
Some years ago I remember reading an article written by Bob Nudd where he said that we wouldn’t talk about line in the future in terms of breaking strain, but we’d talk about diameters. I thought I can’t see that happening, what did I know, I don’t have any clue what the breaking strain of the pole line I use is, and everyone talks about diameters!

I’ve used Hybrid elastics from the start. I’m not just talking slik, I bought some of the Gorilla elastic (zero core from Promaster angling) in I think 2015 and loved the blue version (never tried the yellow). Think the blue is 1.6mm.

Of late I’ve tried hybrids from the following - slik, nick gilbert, Zipp, ProGen, preston. I’ve not tried all sizes of all brands!

the thing that’s causing me some confusion are the different ratings, for example:

Preston hybrid 11 = 1.8mm (used it yesterday for first time and think it’s the smoothest hybrid used to date)
Slik, ProGen 12-14 = 1.8mm
Zipp and Nick gilbert 10-12 = 1.8mm
keepnets Direct 11-14 = 1.8mm

I think from my testing I’d say same diameter hybrids work pretty much the same whatever brand, so should we talk about them in terms of diameters rather than what seem to be fairly arbitrary ratings?

Over time I can see me moving to Preston, great price, performance and should be widespread availability.

tedstriker

Site Supporter
its like many elastics, there isn't a standard for ratings etc but diameters do have manufacturer tolerance issues at times so i think ratings and diameters can be misleading

I've tried the NG 14-16 2.4m and i've used it quite a few times, couldnt get on with it at first
funnily enough i put the knd 11-14 into a shalla kit a few weeks ago and that is a nice elastic for its uses caught a few carp to a couple of pound and bream/skimmers, it might even overtake the knd hollow 10-13 as my go to elastic for bream/skimmers in the summer
I've put a 2.2mm hybrid from a seller on ebay and tested it out and it feels more powerful then the NG stuff but handled well on the carp and bream and also a 2.6mm from the same seller into a power kit for larger carp which does stretch quite a bit with a double figure but for open water it is fine, i have used it closer to reeds but have lost fish due to not having enough control over them

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
The original elastic numbering system of 1 to 8 came from the French imported ZIM product in the 1970s but as things moved on the 10,12,14,16 etc appeared.
Around the same time the heavier elastics took over as more and bigger carp were stocked the concept of hollow elastic was brought to the market and some bright spark at the time suggested that their product was as soft as a 12 elastic and as strong as a 16. This system caught on with other manufacturers and this brings us to the mess today were it is impossible to compare elastic by the rating applied to it other than one firms 12 to 16 will be stronger than the same firms 8 to 12.
The simple facts are a hollow will stretch more than a hybrid which will stretch more than a latex which will stretch more than a basic rubber the colours mean nothing and the diameter is probably your best guide as there is no set rule as to how far any elastic will stretch for a given loading but surprisingly the difference is quite small so its easy to raise the rating by how tight the elastic is fitted to begin with.

Total

Site Supporter
Have gone full circle now and just use hybrid elastics (NG) for open water applications and the old faithful heavier Middy Elastics for the margins. All on pullers.

I got fed up with the hollow elastic elastics for their inconsistencies/ longevity/costs etc...

richox12

If we're talking solids of whatever make-up diameter would seem reasonable. But for hollows the internal diameter would have to be taken into consideration together with the outer diameter.