Hurricane Ian

Swim Jim

Formerly: jjpendurocomp
Site Supporter
Anybody watching this on TV. It’s just coming ashore now @Fort Myers Florida. 155mph winds 12ft plus storm surge. Category 4. Compulsive view

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
That area of the coast from tampa to fort myers is where I usually go and was supposed to go again in May or June this year but ended up getting a bit expensive with how everything’s gone up. Ended up having to holiday next month instead and decided on the keys instead and just as well as they seem to have dodged most of the storm so should be fine by the time I’m there this time next week.

davepellet

Who comes up with the name of these storms? Ian!!!!????

Hardly strikes terror in your soul does it! Mind you I used to know a kid called Ian who had notoriously bad wind, so maybe I’m being a little hasty

Whisker

Here, there and everywhere.
Site Supporter
Just ambling through life, minding my own business…
Regards, Ian 😇

centerpin fan

Screenshot:

919D92C0-8AE7-4B0A-B4CB-1B379A66677B.jpeg

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Isn't this time of year known as Hurricane Season in Florida?

Swim Jim

Formerly: jjpendurocomp
Site Supporter
That area of the coast from tampa to fort myers is where I usually go and was supposed to go again in May or June this year but ended up getting a bit expensive with how everything’s gone up. Ended up having to holiday next month instead and decided on the keys instead and just as well as they seem to have dodged most of the storm so should be fine by the time I’m there this time next week.
Stayed in a hotel on Marathon Key. The Keyes are fantastic. Tarpon fishing :love:

ae111sr

Site Supporter
Yeah, I’ve got a trip planned for next week. Scheduled to fly into Ft. Myers on Monday and fish Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday in Naples.

We’l

Yeah, I’ve got a trip planned for next week. Scheduled to fly into Ft. Myers on Monday and fish Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday in Naples.

We’ll see … :oops:
I should have flown this morning but Hurricane Ian has intervened and the flight has been cancelled :cry: because most of the airports in Florida have been closed. Thankfully managed to cancel hotels, hire car, airport car parking at no cost and TUI will fully refund the flight costs. Probably try again next April or May - that's outside hurricane season. Been going there for 30 years, usually at this time of the year and this is the first time we've had this problem.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter

We’ll see … :oops:
Don’t fancy your chances going to be well bashed up

Isn't this time of year known as Hurricane Season in Florida?
It’s stated as June to October but it’s actually very rare to get one outside of august or the first 3 weeks of September. I believe this is the latest hurricane in many decades so they’ve got very unlucky. Was the first august without one in over 50 years so to get one right at the end of September is very unusual.

Stayed in a hotel on Marathon Key. The Keyes are fantastic. Tarpon fishing :love:
Marathon is where we’re staying. Looking at the web cams it seems fairly unscathed. I mean wet and windy but like a normal wet and windy day not anything like what they’re getting on the gulf coast so should be back to normal by the beginning of next week I reckon.

roachy

Site Supporter
It always makes me laugh when I see this on the news, we get plenty of typhoons here but rarely does it make western media.
They are quite interesting to see, the aftermath can be incredible at times

squimp

Site Supporter
Still 6 days til I head over yet so should be fine by then 🤞🏻
Still keep safe !

I was there 3 weeks after the last hurricane (2018 or 19) and the devastation in the lower Keys was horrendous. One of my guides had lost his house……

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Still keep safe !

I was there 3 weeks after the last hurricane (2018 or 19) and the devastation in the lower Keys was horrendous. One of my guides had lost his house……
That would have been Irma which I think was 18. That was a direct hit on the keys so much worse. This time just the lower keys were hit with a tropical storm with winds around the 50mph mark so nothing like the comfortably 100mph plus of Irma.

I was in a hurricane over there in august 08 (stupid time to go awfully hot and wet at the best of times) but was luckily in Orlando by the time it hit so it wasn’t too bad then had run out of most it’s steam by then. Just sat in and watched the Olympics for a couple days.

davylad

Site Supporter
I have a granddaughter living in the Cayman Islands, and they got some of the hurricane, 15 minutes of that rain would have filled all the venues struggling for water.