HTO Rockfish Revolution

rudd

Site Supporter
Being an all round angler fishing both salt and fresh water, when buying kit I do alot of research to get best kit for my budget.
I dont need the best top end kit but tools that are both reliable and a joy to fish with on the occasions they are used.

Over the last few years Drop shot and light jigging fishing has taken off on the coarse scene and LRF (light rock fishing) for sea anglers.
I already use jigs but until now 5 grams and over on a drennan spincast which is ok for metal lures and bigger jigs, fancied a go with light jigs so on hard days I can catch small to medium Perch on 1g to 4g jigs or by drop shotting, my rod does not have the finese needed.
I live near the sea and know a few marks where LRF with small lures and Isome bait set ups may get a few bites, also have the annual pilgrimage to Cornwall with lovely looking rockpools and gulleys where mini species live.
Research began for a light lure rod in earnest.

Soon found the HTO Rockfish 19 UL (Ultra light) HTO Rockfish 19 UL
Read a few reviews and found although designed for LRF they also work for drop shotting - this was the one for me until I found this:

Basically a step up from the Rockfish but with fuji guides etc as per the reviews.
Found one on ebay with no bid on it, put in a bid and won for £26 including recorded post, at same time won a Shimano alivio 1000 (rear drag) for £15 including recorded postage 😁
Ordered two spools of HTO Rockfish braid in 6lb and 8lb from ebay £10 al! in and spooled up the reel with the 6lb (8lb is for my older rod - or maybe not).
The rod arrived in post and carefully unpacked - its a lovely looking rod, didnt have a mark on it, very light with quality fittings, whipping and finishes. Strapped the reel on and found a perfectly balanced set up.
On Saturday took rods (old and new) down to a local venue for a waggle - first cast at about 40 yards on the drennan using a size 3 mepps aguia saw a nice Perch of just under 2lb grace the net.
Before than I clipped a small bomb on the the rod and cast a few metres, then a few more etc etc about ten times to wet the braid and get it to bed into the reel nicely - I do this with any newly spooled line or braid.
A 5 gram Fox rage Perch pattern spiky jig was clipped onto the mini clip, itself connected to three feet of 6lb fluro carbon tied directly to the braid using improved albright knot (other rod has a swivel between braid and fluro as using spoons and spinners).
First cast out with a jig, effortless, the rod handled a hefty castwith ease, later in session it also performed well with underhand casts landing small jigs next to fatures and under over hanging tree branches.
As the jig dropped through deep water I could see the solid glass tip bent at a nice shallow angle and it dinked back as lure hit tge bottom - if any perch sucks in the jig on the drop these solid tips will show these on the drop bites.
First retrive was a standard bounce with about a ten inch flick, could see tip react and also feel the jig touching down through the blank with my fore finger, the tip settled each time in a njce steady action which again would have shown bites on the drop.
Second cast was a slow retrive mkving jig along bottom, I could feel the lake bed and every bump as lure hit debris, some sharp taps told me I had located a Zebra mussels bed 😵.
Third cast back to bouncing but with faster 12 inch(ish) flicks, five or six flicks and BANG, a savage take, rod bent over into a very satisfying curve as the power reserve through the mid to butt section came into play and a fun scrap began. As the fish came to netting range (three metres of extended handle) the fish made several efforts to get back down the marginal shelf, The clutch on the alivio did its job fhree or four times as it should, I underset clutch when using braid and flurocarbon as its not very forgiving!
A Very nice Perch around the 2 1/2lb mark filled the net head - Nice, a cracking first fish for the Ultralight set up - chuffed to bits.
Next test once Isome bait and LRF bits and bobs arrive will be for some mini species that live in the rock breakwaters, jettys and piers along my local coastline.

Would rate the Rockfish Revolution UL as 10/10 for price, looks, action, sensitivity and sheer pleasure of use.
Rared 1g to 7g it could handle lures a bit heavier but that would defeat the object of tbe solid tip.
I am so impressed with the rod I am seriously considering the HTO Rockfish 19L or Rockfish Revolution L for bigger jigs and spoons, spinners etc to replace the Drennan spincast which has done a job but lacks finesse and is heavy compared to the HTO offerings.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Good review. Can’t recall if I’ve ever picked up any of the rockfish range but can believe they are good as have had a couple waggles of the HTO nebula and that feels like a cracking rod.

Albert H

I've just bought a Rockfish 19 UL for £30 as a result of your post.

It's due for delivery tomorrow.

rudd

Site Supporter
I've just bought a Rockfish 19 UL for £30 as a result of your post.

It's due for delivery tomorrow.
I hope you like it!
Took delivery of a Rockfish 19 L (3 - 15g) to complement the revolution last week.
Really nice looking rods, would describe as modern looking!
Had a Perch of around 1lb on it at weekend and it felt great playing the fish.
The feel through the blank is superb (using braid main with fluro leader) due to tubular tip, can feel allsorts along the bottom with a slowly retrieved jig, I even struck when a small jig hit a leaf!!!
I even felt a bite on the drop with a 7g jig and fox zander shad in 20ft of water with a side wind pulling on braid.
Also felt good with size two mepps spinners and a few spoons, could feel the lures vibrations.

You may ask why I bought a second rod when happy with first?
Its simple, the revolution UL has a spliced in solid tip acting like a quiver tip and is good for drop shot, small/tiny jigs , bites on the drop or close range work.
The 19 has a tubular tip and has more feel to it and is good for jigging a rig by bouncing it, or a slow bottom retrieve with ned/texas/California rigs, a swimming retrieval with a shad or light metal lures.
I have set it up with a 1000 shimano exage and 8lb hto braid.

The two outfits compliment each other and allow me to fish any perch rig needed to suit swim, conditions (including light level) and size of fish expected.

The Drennan spin cast with a 2500 reel I used to use for all lure fishing will have the old 8lb braid replaced with 12 or 15lb braid and used for heavier applications -Jack Pike, MRF using bigger metals, poppers, spinnerbaits etc.