How useful?

Line Clip

What I find so impressive about the top match angler, is the way they work out on the day how to get
the best from the peg, ,and have the mind set, to work out when to feed, how much, and where.
My own problem in our club matches , is I want to be the one with the landing net out first, to get a lead on the others,
and build off that, Where as the regular winners take there time, and seem to almost plan how the next five hours is going to go.
It happens so often ,I can have a good lead, then, bites dry up, and then the opposition, start to catch well in the second half,
while I am struggling get a bite and in a very short time, I'm out the running.
I look at the ones I can see, and think, never mind I will catch up in the last hour down the edge, Yes I catch, but so do the others,
come the weigh in , missed out again.
I have improved to what I was , and try to build up the peg, but then I watch a video, and a presto the top angler catches straight
away and empty's the lake through out the video, its as someone who has mentioned, the on the box live matches are for me the most favorable.
I also like the Des Ship Questions, very informative, cover all aspects of match fishing.
You just have to wonder how much the top anglers keep to themselves, after all it is there living.

G0zzer2

Site Supporter
That last line sums up what so many feel. In fact it doesn't matter whether they 'keep anything to themselves.' If they do it will give them only a tiny edge - and those tiny edges are no good unless you're doing everything else perfectly.

To use snooker again as an analogy, I saw a player burning the edges pf his tip off with a cigarette lighter yesterday. He obviously felt that it helped his game...but I doubt whether it would affect the game of any club player.

Fishing is so simple. Yet there are lots of anglers who keep thinking that others have something special, or extra knowledge, that they don't have, that will make a big difference to their catches. They don't!

Arch

Site Supporter
I think some of you expect too much from a video, whether by a top pro or an amateur.

If you take snoooker, a video can tell you how to address the ball, how to hold your cue, and how to hit the ball. But it will never make you into a good player - that comes only to a few, and then only after lots of experience.

The same applies to all sports, including fishing. I took a friend to a water recently, and I started to catch fish. He couldn't. I took my rig to his swim and started to catch, and gave the rig to him, but he couldn't catch. He didn't understand - despite my trying to hammer it home - that the way you hold the line, against the wind, can make a huge difference. He was allowing the rig to drift a fraction of an inch, whereas I knew that it wouldn't catch fish like that.

It's difficult to explain - especially to some people to whom it does not come naturally - what being 'in the zone' means. I means you just 'know' what presentation the fish require at that moment. Videos don't show that, and even if they did, the same circumstances won't work every time you go out. Fishing alters from minute to minute, hour to hour, day to day.

Adapting to these changes requires on-the-bank experience. Videos help by offering the basics, and perhaps some other options. It's up to you what you make work on the day.
The year before the Pierrpont world champs, there was a three cornered event held there between England - Italy - France. I went and watched the match and sat behind Jean Desque for most of it. At the end, in pidgeon English, JD said "Do you want a go ??" I fair nearly knocked him out of the way. I sat on his seat and fished a little whilst he packed up. He'd got one of the latest, at the time, Maver 801 poles. I caught a few Roach on Bloodworm then said thanks, and left him to carry on packing away.

One thing I did notice whilst using his kit, was lots of what I was doing at that time, was the same as he was doing, Hooks (B511) shotting, elastic, how he kept his hook bait. Difference was he fished for France and I was pools fodder.

As someone has already said, they've got it (Natural talent) sadly, I haven't.

G0zzer2

Site Supporter
I sat behind Nigel Baxter once (a local star) and watched him fish a six-hour match. I learned nothing.

He did nothing that I didn't, or couldn't, do. So why is he better than me? Because he does it better. He has an edge which he probably doesn't even know about. He thinks like a fish.

Anglers used to watch John Dean on the Trent in the 1980s. They used to come away saying the same thing - "He does what I do, but he does it better."

Spadger123

It's not about not being able to do what they do, it's about decision making and adapting.

The top boys adapt a lot quicker than us mere mortals, they read what's going on quicker and consequently change to suit.

TrickyD

Site Supporter
sat behind Jean Desque
I posted 2 of his videos about groundbait on the groundbait thread, very,very informative. I watch Clive Bransons vlogs, can be like watching paint dry, but very enjoyable. His float making and groundbait videos are pretty good.

Total

Site Supporter
The year before the Pierrpont world champs, there was a three cornered event held there between England - Italy - France. I went and watched the match and sat behind Jean Desque for most of it. At the end, in pidgeon English, JD said "Do you want a go ??" I fair nearly knocked him out of the way. I sat on his seat and fished a little whilst he packed up. He'd got one of the latest, at the time, Maver 801 poles. I caught a few Roach on Bloodworm then said thanks, and left him to carry on packing away.

One thing I did notice whilst using his kit, was lots of what I was doing at that time, was the same as he was doing, Hooks (B511) shotting, elastic, how he kept his hook bait. Difference was he fished for France and I was pools fodder.

As someone has already said, they've got it (Natural talent) sadly, I haven't.
I bet he couldn't catch Barbel like you though Arch!;):giggle:

tincatim

Site Supporter
I started out watching John Wilson’s Go Fishing, then moved onto the likes of Matt Hayes and Mick Brown. I always liked the spirit of these videos, they captured the nature and appeal of angling to me. Over the years I’ve watched thousands of videos, from Bob Nudd to Bob Roberts and of course all the latest match anglers videos on YouTube.
I tend to focus my videos nowadays on searching for either specific venues that I fish (or want to fish in future), or if I can’t find any then I’ll look for similar venues. Or I’ll search for videos on specific tactics, for example ‘winter chub on bread from small rivers’. I’ve found loads of interesting ones recently that I’d not seen before.
The latest channel to capture my interest was this one, I found it from Zerkalo’s post on weir pools.
There’s a good mix of videos on venues local to me, plus tactics I’m interested in developing further, such as deep river feeder fishing for bream. I have to say YouTube is one of the best things to come from the 21st century, it’s amazing.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I'm a subscriber to Jamie Harrison and love all the feeder fishing he does, he even did one at my favourite Bream venue, that time though he caught more Skimmers than I catch, which is what I mean about sometimes watching videos on venues I fish sometimes shows me a different side of them to what I see myself. (y)

tincatim

Site Supporter
I'm a subscriber to Jamie Harrison and love all the feeder fishing he does, he even did one at my favourite Bream venue, that time though he caught more Skimmers than I catch, which is what I mean about sometimes watching videos on venues I fish sometimes shows me a different side of them to what I see myself. (y)
I’d never heard of him until you posted that weirpool video. It caught my interest as I’ve fished there before, I’m about ten videos in to the rest of his collection now. He’s got a nice relaxed presenting style and talks you through his thought processes. The added bonus is he often fishes one of my local rivers. Thanks for bringing my attention to his channel 👍🏻

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I’d never heard of him until you posted that weirpool video. It caught my interest as I’ve fished there before, I’m about ten videos in to the rest of his collection now. He’s got a nice relaxed presenting style and talks you through his thought processes. The added bonus is he often fishes one of my local rivers. Thanks for bringing my attention to his channel 👍🏻

No worries. I only started watching fishing youtube videos myself a couple of years ago but now have subscribed to quite a few. I found JH videos because he fished a local venue to me, something I always find useful and encourages me to follow amateur anglers too.

baggy

Mark Saunders
Jamie’s videos are great, especially on his patron where he explains everything in detail. Rigs, baits and different ways of feeder fishing. You can also contact him directly and he will answer anything, he is a top bloke. He does multiple videos a week to make the subscription worth getting. I’m not a very good feeder angler but subscribing for a year has made me a better thinking feeder angler.

tincatim

Site Supporter
Jamie’s videos are great, especially on his patron where he explains everything in detail. Rigs, baits and different ways of feeder fishing. You can also contact him directly and he will answer anything, he is a top bloke. He does multiple videos a week to make the subscription worth getting. I’m not a very good feeder angler but subscribing for a year has made me a better thinking feeder angler.
I have been looking at his online coaching packages, they’re reasonably priced to be fair. Was thinking about buying feeder bundle for £25, I’m sure I’d learn a lot from them and they’d be enjoyable. When this pandemic has finally pissed off, I’d like a days coaching with him on the river.