How useful?

Northantslad

'Any indications?
Really for those that look for info (online, video, reading etc etc) to improve, rather than for just a bit of entertainment.

Been a lot recently mentioned about some that people have seen and also much put out there in these times.

I like info to be real, something i know i could recreate and suiting my fishing.

On the real aspect, i mean watching someone bag and in a setting or scenario i would struggle to re-create (waters that are private or clearly been prepped favourably), might be good watching, but zero learning potential, in terms of then trying to put it into practice.

The times myself and mates who fish together have been sat when it's tough going and said, i would love to see (insert name of angler here) here now and see what they would do?

Someone handy granted, (not knocking anyones abilities) but on a venue stacked with fish or been put on those fish, isn't going to be any help to me fishing tough and pressured venues.

What i mean really by info needing to be real and if i know the background or i get a hint that i can see exactly what is going on, then off it goes for me.

You?

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
It's sometimes difficult for me to find videos of the exact venues I fish and so I cherish them when I do find them, although they don't always match my experience of fishing those venues that is often a good thing as it shows me sides of venues I might not get to see for myself as I think a problem I might have when watching videos is confirmation bias, looking for things that confirm I am fishing it right. When it comes to venues I don't fish, there's always stuff to learn, and if I spot something I'm likely to start a thread on it to try to glean as much information as I can about it.

endpeg

Most YouTube videos see the angler either sat alone on a lake or sat on a noted flyer!
These videos while informative do nothing to replicate match conditions.
I prefer the live match videos content and context are much better.
Most match anglers could fill a keepnet easily whilst pleasure fishing!

Cobweb

Site Supporter
Really for those that look for info (online, video, reading etc etc) to improve, rather than for just a bit of entertainment.

Been a lot recently mentioned about some that people have seen and also much put out there in these times.

I like info to be real, something i know i could recreate and suiting my fishing.

What i mean really by info needing to be real and if i know the background or i get a hint that i can see exactly what is going on, then off it goes for me.

You?
I think I am always alert to the possibility of pre baited or pre prepared swims, but pay attention to only those parts of the video that show me the rod action and/or ways to improve my bait presentation or delivery. Those with hints and tips on how to better set my box up, or techniques for casting further, I find very helpful too. Recently I found out that my Preston Distance Master can handle a 23lb carp - that's very useful info for me. Talking of Tommy Pickering, for years I've been happy (initially working with a target board and 3 rod rests (incl butt), but later with two still having myrod positioned at near right angles to my cast line. I always felt comfortable reading bites with the tip indicator in that place, and have been struggling a little, since buying a box, trying to emulate some of the greats' style of closer in bite detection lower, at a slight angle, and very near the surface water. Of course some swims don't give me that luxury of space, but I shall likely go back to using it when I can

I don't really have a problem fishing commercial match lakes, it's the bigger and natural venues which present, for me at least, a greater challenge and then a sense of achievement when I land something. Watching how others do that in similar environs can be a good wake up call

I was lucky over 30 years ago as I had my step son teach me the basics (he'd been fishing since he was 8 and was then in his 20s) on differing rivers (Thames, Medway, Rother, Uck, Ouse, Shannon, then Canals, Loughs, and Lakes). Sadly he is no longer around and neither is my other fishing buddy for 18 years, so it's mainly videos, and tips on here

OldTaff

Site Supporter
I don’t mind if the video anglers are on flyers or pre-baited swims - as long as I can get the info I need about rigs, technique and so in I’m happy.

I know I probably won’t get the volume of results they do but as long as I get more results than I did before watching it then it’s a winner.

ATTICUS FINCH

I personally prefer to watch the on box videos when the angler fishes a match , no prebaited swims and weather conditions are whatever it is. Yes they are edited to make the angler look good but it's the start of the matches and the way that the angler sets his stool to start off .that's the interesting part for me .

Northantslad

'Any indications?
I think I am always alert to the possibility of pre baited or pre prepared swims, but pay attention to only those parts of the video that show me the rod action and/or ways to improve my bait presentation or delivery. Those with hints and tips on how to better set my box up, or techniques for casting further, I find very helpful too. Recently I found out that my Preston Distance Master can handle a 23lb carp - that's very useful info for me. Talking of Tommy Pickering, for years I've been happy (initially working with a target board and 3 rod rests (incl butt), but later with two still having myrod positioned at near right angles to my cast line. I always felt comfortable reading bites with the tip indicator in that place, and have been struggling a little, since buying a box, trying to emulate some of the greats' style of closer in bite detection lower, at a slight angle, and very near the surface water. Of course some swims don't give me that luxury of space, but I shall likely go back to using it when I can

I don't really have a problem fishing commercial match lakes, it's the bigger and natural venues which present, for me at least, a greater challenge and then a sense of achievement when I land something. Watching how others do that in similar environs can be a good wake up call

I was lucky over 30 years ago as I had my step son teach me the basics (he'd been fishing since he was 8 and was then in his 20s) on differing rivers (Thames, Medway, Rother, Uck, Ouse, Shannon, then Canals, Loughs, and Lakes). Sadly he is no longer around and neither is my other fishing buddy for 18 years, so it's mainly videos, and tips on here

Am much the same, but i do think the principle is the same regardless of type of venue? I wasn't looking at starting the commercial over a harder natural venue discussion.

To emphasise this take my much loved river Barbel fishing.

Now, i could sit and watch any number of offerings filmed on pegs 1 and 1A on the Trent or some of the less pressured and syndicate based action on the Severn, or the numerous ones on the Wye. Rarely do any of these match my experience of what Barbel fishing is like on the rest of the day ticket or association ran stretches, some good water none the less in cases and ran well largely. Takes time to realise and appreciate exactly what you are watching, hence it worries me no end, that newbies watch some of these and think, great, i will have some of that. Put in the expense, build the anticipation, then wallop, the realisation kicks in when the fish aren't actually that abundant or are pressured to the point of being difficult to catch.

Trent wise, had no option but to join N&D, when the majority of water went over to them, fortunately a good decision and they run their water well. Severn wise it seems to me lately, that if you want decent fishing middle severn wise then investing in a BAA ticket gets you away from the very pressured old favourites still on a day ticket, that have become literally a circus at times. Wye wise i only usually watch for the scenery and for entertainment, partly because i am unlikely to fish it and partly because one angler working their way along various swims, they also had the luxury of pre-baiting for the session, isn't my reality of Barbel fishing.

Not being a martyr for the i like things difficult brigade, but if an offering starts off by 'today i am on day ticket stretch' i generally watch it when in the looking for info mood or in identifying spots/pegs/parts of swims- vital info for Barbel that is.

Or anything Severn and Trent wise, of which there are quite a few by warts and all Barbel anglers i find a good watch, as many blank sessions sometimes as there are ones where they catch.....real.

Cobweb

Site Supporter
I've spotted some Barbel on a likely spot in a local river which has also some rather nice chub in the area - I've come across many anglers trying to catch Barbel on a commercial which for me isn't a comparable challenge. I've definitely got that place marked for a patient and careful approach. It's on a club water which has a car park very near the swim. That's definitely for me later this year. I envy your access to the Trent and Severn. My family come from the Wye Valley area in Herefordshire, (Dilwyn and Leominster) and I'm looking to book a trip there and visit some distant relations at the same time

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Have to say I don’t really like the overly instructional ones. I prefer the more traditional tv program style where you get a bit of here’s the set up then you just watch them fish and they talk you through it a bit as they go. When someone goes into mega detail on a video I struggle to follow it so I’d rather learn that sort of stuff in the written form or by experience.

sly

bit better gear,still no idea
Site Supporter
its all well and good watching some one at lindholme,ect,ect,but ( for those who know Sheffield ) i would like to see how a name would approach somewhere like Crookes Valley dam,not a prolific fishery in any shape or form and at times just bloody hard,just to see how he gets on

R0B

The only video you need:

check out the legends
I suppose I learned more from the 1980's series of "Hooked International" than anything else in those days.

baggy

Mark Saunders
I like all sorts but I’ve recently been watching very technical ones where match anglers are going into the minutiae of what they are doing. I’ve recently got a subscription to ’The Edge’ which is Lee Kerry and Rob Wotton’s video series, they really go into great detail, they do talk about kit but they are not trying to sell their sponsors kit. It’s more about what the kit does for a certain job.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
its all well and good watching some one at lindholme,ect,ect,but ( for those who know Sheffield ) i would like to see how a name would approach somewhere like Crookes Valley dam,not a prolific fishery in any shape or form and at times just bloody hard,just to see how he gets on
Add Forge Dam in Fulwood to that, another hard place to catch.

G0zzer2

Site Supporter
I think some of you expect too much from a video, whether by a top pro or an amateur.

If you take snoooker, a video can tell you how to address the ball, how to hold your cue, and how to hit the ball. But it will never make you into a good player - that comes only to a few, and then only after lots of experience.

The same applies to all sports, including fishing. I took a friend to a water recently, and I started to catch fish. He couldn't. I took my rig to his swim and started to catch, and gave the rig to him, but he couldn't catch. He didn't understand - despite my trying to hammer it home - that the way you hold the line, against the wind, can make a huge difference. He was allowing the rig to drift a fraction of an inch, whereas I knew that it wouldn't catch fish like that.

It's difficult to explain - especially to some people to whom it does not come naturally - what being 'in the zone' means. I means you just 'know' what presentation the fish require at that moment. Videos don't show that, and even if they did, the same circumstances won't work every time you go out. Fishing alters from minute to minute, hour to hour, day to day.

Adapting to these changes requires on-the-bank experience. Videos help by offering the basics, and perhaps some other options. It's up to you what you make work on the day.